• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Staying put vs trading up

AU-panther

I know a lot of people feel like we gave up too much to move up in the second so I decided to look at what was drafted after our original spot in the 2nd, pick 57.

Wide Receiver:

Tyler Lockett 3(69)

Jaelen Strong 3(70)

Chris Conley 3(76)

Sammie Coates 3(87)

OT

Robert Havenstein 2(57)

Ty Sambrailo 2(59)

Jamon Brown 3(72)

Chaz Green 3(91)

I'm not usually a huge fan of moving up, especially an expensive move like yesterday. I thought we might move up in the later rounds with our extra picks but giving up a 3rd surprised me.

After seeing how the board was falling and what was left the decision is more understandable.

Some years the board falls in your favor and in others it does not.

I love it that we moved up. I was so sick of just doing the boring and conservative thing and just "staying put" people have to understand that we have a pretty stacked roster already and honestly we just don't have a lot of needs. In other words we are a team that has enough of talent already we can afford to lose a couple picks to move up. We aren't a team like the talent starved Browns or Jags that need every single draft pick we can get.

I'm glad Gettleman showed he had a pulse and made a splash. I just could not stomach another defensive player, oh and guess what, even AFTER that trade we still had 7 picks in this draft. Darin Gannt, he's about the most cynical and negative person on the Panthers as you can get and even he liked the trade and the player we got.

We were never going to be able to absorb nine rookies onto this roster. Unless you are rebuilding from scratch you use your picks to do what DG just did.

I still don't buy that. It's not like we have world beaters at every position.

I think we have too many needs to trade up again. Addressing OT and RB is a must, and I would love to see a SS, CB, DT, WR or DE. I know we can't fix all these spots in 1 draft but I think we just have too many needs to have less than 7 overall picks.

I'm loving our picks, now for at least one OT

yea in Gettleman i trust, but i am hoping the BPA gods throw us a bone here and let us draft a serviceable OT project today.

I think we have too many needs to trade up again. Addressing OT and RB is a must, and I would love to see a SS, CB, DT, WR or DE. I know we can't fix all these spots in 1 draft but I think we just have too many needs to have less than 7 overall picks.

only Gettleman doesnt draft according to need... especially not the perceived needs we fans think our team has

Archived