• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Reason we made the trade for Devin Funchess

For me it's is YAC. Dude never broke tackles at Michigan. Otherwise he's a great pick due to his ability to make contested catches.

I don't think we have a WR or TE on the roster who excels at YAC

That's weird. I was watching some of his highlights on youtube and there are a couple of broke tackles and YAC that seemed to make me think that he was a bit of a playmaker. 

Even this article says that he was and they watched game film on him. 

http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2015/03/patriots_2015_nfl_draft_profil.html

For a big guy, Funchess is surprisingly effective after the catch. Michigan liked to get the ball out to him on quick screens to allow him to get YAC using his size and quickness (vs. Ohio State, vs. Notre Dame, vs. App State).

I don't think we have a WR or TE on the roster who excels at YAC

Ginn?

Presly got moves too. So many have already forgot about him. He's a legit shot at this roster, cause he fits a need and really no one else can do what he does.. unless bryd has some smitty in him.

There are drills you can do to work on hands.  Most of the problem is mental--concentration lapses or bad timing and technique.  Hands have to get "in shape".  Not that everyone can catch a Cam Newton fastball, but a lot of people think hands are a God-given talent--and they are partially right, but not completely.

Ginn?

Presly got moves too. So many have already forgot about him. He's a legit shot at this roster, cause he fits a need and really no one else can do what he does.. unless bryd has some smitty in him.

I actually went to App State while Presley was playing there. Started at QB, moved to CB.... He is a true athlete. He was a really fluid player... But him as a WR, is very new to him. If he can refine his skills, thats great.... But he has played 3 different positions now, over the course of just a few years. He was benched as QB his senior year, and then put at corner just because he was one of our best athletes.

With that said, it's going to be hard for him to make this roster after bringing in all these receivers, many of whom have more experience than him. Does he even have good hands? I have no idea.

Edit: And he ran a 4.64... You can argue he plays a little bit faster, and is more agile than quick.... But his measurables, 5'10" and a 4.64 with limited receiver experience... Does not bode well. He was coming out of college as a CB... Again, he just keeps getting moved around. To put him out there instead of Ginn, Brown, Hill, Boykin, hell even this South Carolina track star...... He is going to have to really have an impressive camp.

I actually went to App State while Presley was playing there. Started at QB, moved to CB.... He is a true athlete. He was a really fluid player... But him as a WR, is very new to him. If he can refine his skills, thats great.... But he has played 3 different positions now, over the course of just a few years. He was benched as QB his senior year, and then put at corner just because he was one of our best athletes.

With that said, it's going to be hard for him to make this roster after bringing in all these receivers, many of whom have more experience than him. Does he even have good hands? I have no idea.

Edit: And he ran a 4.64... You can argue he plays a little bit faster, and is more agile than quick.... But his measurables, 5'10" and a 4.64 with limited receiver experience... Does not bode well. He was coming out of college as a CB... Again, he just keeps getting moved around. To put him out there instead of Ginn, Brown, Hill, Boykin, hell even this South Carolina track star...... He is going to have to really have an impressive camp.

There where reports that he was giving the 1st defensive problems as he ran for the scout team. Now i understand at that time he had fresh legs, still thats a little impressive. He's truly a perfect PS cause he can play so many spots as you named. He can even get some run as a punt returner and kickoff returner.

He's got that smoke screen/bubble screen in his game. He is slippery and in space giving DBs problems. I cannt name another on this roster that does that. Panthers need/want a player like that, for the same reasons as funch- Matchups. Who knows injuries happen and the panthers could carry 6/7 WRs. I put his chances around 10% making the team and 95% making PS.

Where are all the folks dissing this pick. When I was one of the earliest to say he could be a beast at his size I got a ton of comments about how slow he was, he had poor hands, poor route runner, and so forth. Suddenly we pick him and Gettleman says how great he will be and now everyone is singing his praises. Funny how the worm turns so quickly around here.

That's weird. I was watching some of his highlights on youtube and there are a couple of broke tackles and YAC that seemed to make me think that he was a bit of a playmaker.

Good to hear, I didn't watch any B1G games so I am far from an expert on his play. Just going off what I've heard post draft from the talking heads, 99% of which is probably a load of crap.

If we're talking about evading guys with his subtle quickness, sure, but as a Michigan fan I would continuously get frustrated by him going down so easily at first contact, especially by smaller corners. He's pretty much a more explosive version of Greg Olsen IMO, which isn't a bad thing by any means. 

After really digging we had no choice but to trade because it's all about what you want to do with. A lot of people had him ranked as the #1 or #2 TE in this draft. Which Atlanta might have tried to get him and saints or any team that needed a TE. He is going to pay off for us because he can block like a TE and move like a WR and he knows all the positions. And if he ran anything close to 4.47 that is crazy considering he's 6'5 and 235..... I know he has almost a 40" vert

at 6"5 kinda scary....... just sayin.

he's known as a shitty blocker

Archived