• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Today's Practice Skirmish

Jeremy Igo

Gman has sprinkled his competitive dust over these things I believe as you might not be around long if you don't put forth effort.

Although I don't think brawls are good, the occasional scuffle is not necessarily a bad thing.

Never played organized football, but I did play a lot of basketball and baseball and we had some shoving matches and a couple of real scraps.  Most of them were quickly forgotten.  If its happening in baseball and basketball, then you know its going to happen in a physical sport like football.  Deal with it and get over it. 

I have played at several levels at more than one sport. Coached at the lower levels in baseball, soccer and football. And I still maintain that it is an immature undisciplined response by players who let their emotions control their judgement. Football is about the mental game as much as it is physical game, maybe more so. So while we can all say it is just guys being competitive, it isn't something to be overlooked or ignored. As you practice is how you play and undisciplined is undisciplined. You don't think it gets hot in Tampa  or Miami. That is why Rivera said it was disappointing rather than saying it is just guys being competitive. He knows what I am saying is true.

People here have a real short memory. What happened when Smith sucker punched Lucas a few years ago. If Lucas hadn't been the bigger man and forgave Smith and welcomed him back it could have escalated into a real divide between offense and defense. Guys on the defense wanted Smith gone for a lot longer than 2 games. That could have easily torn the locker room apart. 

Practice fights happen at every level of football from Pee Wee on up on a regular basis. It's just what happens when you get a bunch of competitive guys going hard at each other.

Just part of the game.

no I played football and I understand that fights happen and I've been a part of them. I'm just saying some people think it's good and some people think it's bad, but I really don't know what to think in that respect

People here have a real short memory. What happened when Smith sucker punched Lucas a few years ago. If Lucas hadn't been the bigger man and forgave Smith and welcomed him back it could have escalated into a real divide between offense and defense. Guys on the defense wanted Smith gone for a lot longer than 2 games. That could have easily torn the locker room apart. 

​You'll recall the Panthers went 12-4 that year. You can project a minor skirmish today has season long ramifications if you like but bottom line it doesn't.

Unless of course you want to blame Delhomme's 5 turnovers on Smitty's training camp blow.

By all means, carry on.

​You'll recall the Panthers went 12-4 that year. You can project a minor skirmish today has season long ramifications if you like but bottom line it doesn't.

Unless of course you want to blame Delhomme's 5 turnovers on Smitty's training camp blow.

By all means, carry on.

It isnt much use arguing now that is it over and nothing did happen which is a good thing. This time. But it is naive to assume that it will always be that way or that there are never any negative consequences to fights between teammates in camp. 

Archived