• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dear NFL: Bring Back the Fullback

Jeremy Igo

What good is 5 receiving threats when one's rushing attack isn't  respected by the defense?

I find it funny that the same peolple who wanted norv, or hue as our OC, are the very same people that don't want a traditional fullback on the team. Which tells me how little is actually understood of offenses by the majority. 

Norv's offenses have ALWAYS had traditional fullbacks. Same with Hue. 

Having more receivers on the field does not equate to more passing, especially when the completion percentage drops drastically. 

Having a traditional full back and a bruising rushing attack, will allow the team to do more out of the same formations. 

Just cause the fullback comes in the game, doesn't mean it has to be a run play. Those are the best times to take shots down the field. 

I'm  all for a bruising fullback.  Our rushing attack will improve dramatically, regardless who is running the ball, and our passing attack will become much more effective, with more downfield plays, as our receiving threats will get behind the defenses that coming up to stop the run. 

You want a high scoring offense? Then you should absolutely, postively, 100% be on board with having a very good traditional fullback on the field.

Edited by pantherclaw

And yet, our redzone conversion rate is still low. Look, Cam is automatic but that doesn't mean we should be risking him at every opportunity. A legitimate FB creates mismatches as well. Look at Seattle's LBs. They're built for coverage, NOT the run. Wagner is the only LB in that bunch that can tackle opposing RBs. 

Funny, I could say the same about Harper, J.Martin, Bersin, etc.

You said goal line specifically, I know our red zone offense struggled but a lot had to do with questionable play call and lack of depth, we just drafted Funchess to help in the redzone

What good is 5 receiving threats when one's rushing attack isn't  respected by the defense?

I find it funny that the same peolple who wanted norv, or hue as our OC, are the very same people that don't want a traditional fullback on the team. Which tells me how little is actually understood of offenses by the majority. 

Norv's offenses have ALWAYS had traditional fullbacks. Same with Hue. 

Having more receivers on the field does not equate to more passing, especially when the completion percentage drops drastically. 

Having a traditional full back and a bruising rushing attack, will allow the team to do more out of the same formations. 

Just cause the fullback comes in the game, doesn't mean it has to be a run play. Those are the best times to take shots down the field. 

I'm  all for a bruising fullback.  Our rushing attack will improve dramatically, regardless who is running the ball, and our passing attack will become much more effective, with more downfield plays, as our receiving threats will get behind the defenses that coming up to stop the run. 

You want a high scoring offense? Then you should absolutely, postively, 100% be on board with having a very good traditional fullback on the field.

Norv had Tolbert almost his entire tenure in SD, he's traditional now?

That's just a flat out lie, teams like the Packers, Eagles, Colts, Broncos barely even use fullbacks mush less traditional ones. Kuhn is the only FB I can think of that plays in a high scoring offense. The patriots just one a SB and they barely even use two back sets. The game has evolved pass the traditional  FB 

Norv had Tolbert almost his entire tenure in SD, he's traditional now?

That's just a flat out lie, teams like the Packers, Eagles, Colts, Broncos barely even use fullbacks mush less traditional ones. Kuhn is the only FB I can think of that plays in a high scoring offense. The patriots just one a SB and they barely even use two back sets. The game has evolved pass the traditional  FB 

wrong. 

Ever heard of Lorenzo Neal. 

Know what your talking about, or be dismissed.

Yes, there are offenses without traditional fullbacks, but it doesn't change anything that i posted.   

Too bad our offense is almost nothing like the Air Coryell. And who were these so called tall receivers when Neal was there? cause Floyd and Jackson arrived after he left and Turner doesn't like using FB

Um...do your research.

On both of these points.

Too bad our offense is almost nothing like the Air Coryell. And who were these so called tall receivers when Neal was there? cause Floyd and Jackson arrived after he left and Turner doesn't like using FB

Our offense is a Coryell system.

I sincerely doubt that you have a clue what that means.

• Pie 1

wrong. 

Ever heard of Lorenzo Neal. 

Know what your talking about, or be dismissed.

Yes, there are offenses without traditional fullbacks, but it doesn't change anything that i posted.   

Lorenzo Neal left once Turner arrived..... Chargers were playing Marty ball when Neal was there.

Every high scoring offense doesn't use FB point noted.

Our offense is a Coryell system.

I sincerely doubt that you have a clue what that means.

If our offense is Coryell then we a doing a terrible job at it. Our QB runs more any Coryell QB in nfl history and we were one of the worst teams in big plays last season.

Lorenzo Neal left once Turner arrived..... Chargers were playing Marty ball when Neal was there.

Every high scoring offense doesn't use FB point noted.

i wish you would lean to read, and know what you are talking about. That is obviously to much to ask of you. 

Neal was there for the first half of norv's tenure there. 

Also, i never said every highscoring offense. That's your idiocy.   

Take care.