• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Batum to Hornets, Hendo + Vonleh to Portland

SgtJoo

hmm who is an extremely young player who started playing basketball late in his teens and seemed to have big potential as a big man that charlotte spent a lottery pick on.....?

we drafted vonleh because he was considered a top talent and he slipped, we saw value at the pick, not necessarily someone we wanted to become our all-star -- though it'd be great if he did! turns out he probably doesn't have a good enough feel for the game to take his abilities to an all-star level.

all news outlets pretty much say aldridge is gone.. portland wasn't saving up to pay him, this was about getting a young potential replacement. there's a chance vonleh could amount to something, portland wants their next PF. they're taking a gamble and hoping vonleh can fill aldridge's shoes when he leaves. we sent hendo along for the ride because we don't want him and he opted in. which is a move basically everyone here has been begging for.

team captain for the hornets is not the same as for the panthers. hendo is a good person, a vet, and he liked being a hornet. he wasn't considered our best player on the team by his teammates or coaches. so the fact he was a team captain and how that affects whether we won this trade -- who cares.

in two drafts with no sure all-stars at our pick, we made two picks on PF, one who was more "pro ready" and another one with high potential. these are trade assets, unless one of them pans out, that's what they are for our team. that's why we dangled them out and used them to hopefully upgrade a position we desperately need an upgrade for.

Batum seems like a solid guy who can play the way we want with the rest of our team. if he can get back to old form he can be a great player for us. if things work out here he'll stay. if he doesn't work out or if we think we can do it, we'll just trade him mid-season so we don't lose him for nothing. as long as we keep the wheel turning.

I don't know too much about Batum, but by the time the season begins he will be 27.

Someone convince me this was worth giving up on a 19 year old kid after one season who we just drafted 9th overall.

If this blows up in our face, we are going to have to fire everyone on down to the water boys.

In the short term I think we improve next season.

My thing with Vonleh is that by the time he's any good his rookie contract will be up and he'll dart anyway.  

Batum hasn't actually shot the three well last couple seasons. 34% or so forth and Hendo had actually improved and was shooting over 30% last season. Giving up Vonleh for a JAG is horrible trade and a firable offense. Only way the trade is a success is if Two things happen, 1. Batum stays healthy and averages 15+ 5 and 5. 2. Vonleh enda up being a complete bust.

I think we had to do the trade.  Without shooting we'd be bad again next year, and without some stretch wings as well.  The hype from the new name has almost completely faded and they need some goodwill.   Batum is still pretty young and it's a low-risk trade since he only has one year.  With him and Al coming off the books next year it'll free up some money to spend if we have to.  Vonleh may be good but it's a project.    When you consider we got Hawes/Lamb/Batum for Stephenson/Henderson/Vonleh it's not completely terrible.  

Batum can make everyone better on the team, it may be a risk worth taking.  

So we either turned a top 10 pick into a 1 year rental or overpay long-term for an average SG. Yay!!! Gonna be sad when Charlotte blows their load next summer on Jefferson / Batum and doesn't have cap space to chase Curry the next summer.

I hate so much the fact that you are exactly right on this.

Archived