• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cornerback battle an interesting one at Carolina Panthers Training Camp

Moorgan

https://www.todayspigskin.com/nfc-today/nfc-south/carolina-panthers/cornerback-battle-an-interesting-one-at-carolina-panthers-training-camp/

Objective article from a former Bucs writer, however, I swear some of you guys could get paid to blog about the Panthers. There isn't anything ground breaking that we on The Huddle didn't already know. Here's a few snipits:

In order for the Panthers to have continued success, especially in the receiver-rich NFC South, they are going to need better play from their cornerbacks. Of the Panthers’ 14 interceptions in 2014, the cornerbacks contributed just four.

Antoine Cason was the original starter at left cornerback, before he was eventually benched and released for poor play in December. That placed rookie Benwikere directly into the fire. He responded with seven pass breakups and the one interception, getting better every game.

But the starting job is not locked up for Benwikere. He will likely have to battle with Tillman, a free-agent pickup from Chicago, for the starting role.

Even at 34 years of age, Charles Tillman is a solid addition to the Carolina Panthers’ secondary.

Tillman will be motivated. He only played two games in 2014 before suffering a season-ending injury. He will enter camp hungry and wanting to prove he is still a starting cornerback. It is a good position for the Panthers to be in. If Tillman wins the position, Benwikere will likely be the team’s nickle corner. If Benwikere wins it, then he can still slide to nickle in certain packages when Carolina brings in another corner.

If Houston can return to form, the Panthers’ cornerback unit not only got deeper but better.

I can't remember the last time we had corner depth

I can't remember having quality depth at so many areas on our team period. WR, TE, RB, DL, LB, CB are all filled to the brim with talent. Only questions are OLs and safeties. And even there we may be pleasantly surprised. 

This team is gonna be good this year. I am psyched

I can't remember having quality depth at so many areas on our team period. WR, TE, RB, DL, LB, CB are all filled to the brim with talent. Only questions are OLs and safeties. And even there we may be pleasantly surprised. 

This team is gonna be good this year. I am psyched

This is the effects of having 2 top flight drafts, talent out the wazoo everywhere you look.

In their prime both Tillman and Houston were two of the top ranked corners in the game and I don't think the tank is dry yet for either of 'em. There may not be a lot of depth at CB, but there's some good talent.

The fun part is we dont expect them to hold down a spot. They can be put in when needed for a few snaps a game. Norman,Ben, and Tillman/Houston are a nice mix. 

Archived