• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers sign OT Tony Hills and G Davonte Wallace and waive RB Darrin Reaves

jamos14

Hmmm.  Not excited by these signings.

In looking at our roster, we've got basically 5 possibly(?) ok players among the OTs & OGs who are likely locks to make the 53 man roster.  4 of the 5 have 0 - 1 years of playing experience, and obviously there are still big question marks here re: Oher (past poor play, not nec. strong at LT) and Williams (rookie, we have high hopes, but he's yet to play a snap).:

Norwell (OG)

Turner (OG)

Remmers (OT)

Oher (OT)

D. Williams (OT)

Beyond that we've got two longer-rostered Panthers who may make the roster at this point as backups, but whose play has been poor - inconsistent:

Silatolu (G) (4th year); Chandler (G/T) (4th year)

[Below them:  Scott (G), Martin Wallace (T), Foucault (T)... don't want to go there]

I have trouble believing these new signings are any better than Silatolu or Chandler who at least know our playbook.  Sigh.... but I suppose *SOME* competition is better than none.

REALLY HOPING our FO can find someone else / that other teams will make cuts we can pick up.

Norwell was a UDFA, not a street guy 

So? Norwell came in to camp as a body trying to make the roster. He showed he could play, made the team and proceeded to become our starter of the future. These guys are coming in as bodies and will be given an opportunity to show they can play. "Camp body" implies that they have no chance at making the roster. There's really no such thing as a "camp body" but people use the word. Everybody is competing and everybody has a shot.

So? Norwell came in to camp as a body trying to make the roster. He showed he could play, made the team and proceeded to become our starter of the future. These guys are coming in as bodies and will be given an opportunity to show they can play. "Camp body" implies that they have no chance at making the roster. There's really no such thing as a "camp body" but people use the word. Everybody is competing and everybody has a shot.

I don't see these guys having a realistic shot.

Maybe they'll prove me wrong, but I doubt it.

I don't see these guys having a realistic shot.

Maybe they'll prove me wrong, but I doubt it.

Norwell didn't have a "realistic" shot to become a starter last year and neither did Remmers. Neither of these new guys are any different from those two when they were added. I doubt either ends up being a starter like Norwell and Remmers are but to say they're just "camp bodies" is ridiculous. They'll compete.

I find tables & spreadsheets help me process information.  I've been playing around with some tables re: the guards & tackles now currently on our roster.  Here's info on the guards.  Will post about tackles a little later.

#NamePosHtWtAgeYearCollege
65Henry, Ricky G 6'4310283Nebraska
62McCray, Jordan G 6'3320231Central Florida
68Norwell, Andrew G 6'6325232Ohio State
79Scott, Chris G 6'4340274Tennessee
66Silatolu, Amini G 6'4320264Midwestern State
70Turner, Trai G 6'3320222LSU

0k, sorry, looks like my more detailed table re: the guards is too wide for the forum.  Let me just attach it as an Excel spreadsheet.

Basically, we've added no real meaningful experience or known skill to our roster of guards.  In addition to our 4 returning guards, (Norwell, Turner, Scott and Silatolu) we've added Henry & McCray who have no playing experience.  McCray was a tryout invite at Panther's Rookie camp, maybe he'll be another diamond in the rough.   Henry is a little less likely to be promising, in my opinion, having kicked around 3 teams' PS / IR lists...

[A shame Tyronne Green is injured.  He would have given more depth at guard with his San Diego experience.]

Guards 2015.xlsx

Here's the current roster listing of tackles (Martin is still listed on the official roster tonight).  More detailed stats to follow shortly.

#NamePosHtWtAgeYearCollege
78Chandler, NateT6'4315264UCLA
63Foucault, DavidT6'8320262Montreal
 Hills, TonyT6'5305306Texas
75Martin, JonathanT6'5315254Stanford
73Oher, MichaelT6'4315297Mississippi
74Remmers, MikeT6'5305263Oregon State
 Wallace, DavonteT6'3315231New Mexico State
77Wallace, MartinT6'6330252Temple
60Williams, DarylT6'633522ROklahoma

Archived