• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Roster Projection Update

Jeremy Igo

Me? Not necessarily. 

Rivera? Yep

I'm sure no one will agree with me but i think the stigma that Rivera has for being unwilling to go with the younger guys is unfair..I think we put more young guys on the field than a lot of other teams.  I think people assume that the young guys should be ready a little sooner than what should be expected..

Also, i dont think Rivera has the final say on those decisions.

Everyone likes to say that Rivera loves his vets.. I think ultimately, they keep the players that they think will help the team the most..  there is a good reason that those players are often vets..generally, the longer you do something, the better you get.  Its not like being a veteran is good enough in and of itself

Just reading a piece on Trusnik at the Observer.  He apparently plays all 6 phases of ST:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article30175458.html

Trusnik was one of several offseason additions whose resumes aren’t much to look at, unless you happen to be a special teams coach with nearly 30 years of NFL experience.

Such coaches talk about “four-phase” special teams players, who play on punt and punt return, as well as kickoff and kickoff return. Panthers special teams coordinator Bruce DeHaven, beginning his 29th season, calls them the “Big 4.”

Trusnik plays six phases, jumping in on the field goal protection and field goal block teams for good measure.

“I’ve played ‘em all,” Trusnik says Wednesday at Wofford. “I’ve been in all six for quite a bit of time, especially all four years in Miami. I enjoy playing them all. And I hope to bring that enjoyment (to Carolina). That one play can really change a game, that 1-on-1 battle and that attitude and effort that you can bring to that one play can help this team.”

Gosh our coaches and G'man have some REALLY difficult decisions ahead.

At this point I'm gonna be bold and say Trusnik makes the roster ahead of Mayo.  I've growingly got a feeling that Mayo lands on the PS.  It would be strange with a draft pick, I know, but he seems the odd man out on the LB corps at the moment.  I can't quite figure out why we drafted him.  Obviously he's a tackling machine, ala Luke, but it's not like we're needing a replacement for Luke any time soon... Luke's still on his rookie contract for goodness sakes. 

How likely is it that another team would poach Mayo off our PS?

Edited by KB_fan

Just reading a piece on Trusnik at the Observer.  He apparently plays all 6 phases of ST:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article30175458.html

Gosh our coaches and G'man have some REALLY difficult decisions ahead.

At this point I'm gonna be bold and say Trusnik makes the roster ahead of Mayo.  I've growingly got a feeling that Mayo lands on the PS.  It would be strange with a draft pick, I know, but he seems the odd man out on the LB corps at the moment.  I can't quite figure out why we drafted him.  Obviously he's a tackling machine, ala Luke, but it's not like we're needing a replacement for Luke any time soon... Luke's still on his rookie contract for goodness sakes. 

How likely is it that another team would poach Mayo off our PS?

Highly unlikely. 

But.... not sure if Gettleman's pride will allow him to waive a draft pick. I agree though, Trusnik makes much more sense on this squad than Mayo. Klein is a fine backup MLB. 

Highly unlikely. 

But.... not sure if Gettleman's pride will allow him to waive a draft pick. I agree though, Trusnik makes much more sense on this squad than Mayo. Klein is a fine backup MLB. 

Have they been using Klein as the primary backup to Luke? 

I'll be somewhat surprised if we go into the season with 4 running backs and Tolbert on the 53 man roster.  There are just so many carries to go around.  Cam and Tolbert will probably have 8-12 carries between them.

Personally I think Fozzy and Todman are fighting for a spot.  Also I expect Williams to grab one of the tight end spots.  I would think we would want 3 pass catching type of tight ends on the roster.  If we only have Olsen, Dickson, and Brockel what happens if Olsen or Dickson gets hurt.  Would we still be able to run 2 TE sets?  I think of Brockel as more of a h-back type of player.  How many catches has he had in the last 3 years?

Here is the way i see it so far:

RB - Stewart

RB - CAP

RB - Todman or Fozzy

RB/FB - Tolbert

FB/HB/ST - Ward or Brockel 

TE - Olsen

TE - Dickson

TE - Williams