• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Shaq

janderson20vt

Shaq allows the defensive coaching staff the ability to not have to take a LB off of the field on 3rd down (or obvious passing downs) to bring on a DB. He has the ability to cover most TEs and RBs while giving us the ability to also play run with 3 LBs out there.  That's the obvious use.  Now, by being able to not "give away" that we're trying to stop the run or pass. We're able to disguise our looks by being able to play Shaq in multiple positions and not "tip our hand". He's a great fit. 

I expect a lot of disguised blitzes involving him.

Could someone explain to me again Shaq Thompson's fit here? Strongside linebackers are traditionally closer to 6'4, 250 pounds because of their responsibilities in run support. I know Shaq has great traits like coverage ability, intincts, speed, and coverage ability but is he going to be a liability against the run when teams run his way?

Shaq is athletic enough, strong enough, and just plain smart enough to play just as strong against the run as he does against the pass. In short, he is a beast. 

Remember the words of Thomas Davis:

“When you look at what he’s capable of doing, it’s just really going to boil down to, he learning the defense and going out and applying himself,” said Davis. “He can possibly be one of the best to ever play the position with his skill set.”

Could someone explain to me again Shaq Thompson's fit here? Strongside linebackers are traditionally closer to 6'4, 250 pounds because of their responsibilities in run support. I know Shaq has great traits like coverage ability, intincts, speed, and coverage ability but is he going to be a liability against the run when teams run his way?

I think big picture he is Davis' replacement

as far as size? You gotta issue with people running at Luke? Luke ain't much bigger.  Give Shaq a year with a NFL weight program 

We've yet to find out whether our first two picks are hybrids or tweeners.  IMO both these picks were made with the intention keeping them on the field in multiple positions in no huddle situations when you cannot substitute.  More and more teams, including ours, are using the no huddle to create favorable matchups by catching the defense in nickel and running or base and passing.  If we can play multiple defenses with the same personnel we defeat those mismatches.

Surely he can't be a better RB than our hero Redden, can he? 

j/k :P

heck, if Shaq is a situational defender this year I personally will start the bandwagon for Shaq replacing Cotchery on that one play where he motions into the backfield and is the pitch man.  They never pitch to Cotchery and bringing in Shaq probably opens up the run more inside  bc it makes there intent more focused on a likely pitch.  Just a thought, his college coach flat out said he is a better RB than LB

We got Shaq because he is a football player with elusive speed and balanced ball-attacking. He's a football seeker. He's always playing the ball.

great fluid instincts and built to one day replace TD. 

He he also allows Keech to hit holes and get in the backfield instead of getting spread out trying to cover TE's. 

Archived