• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Shaq

janderson20vt

Could someone explain to me again Shaq Thompson's fit here? Strongside linebackers are traditionally closer to 6'4, 250 pounds because of their responsibilities in run support. I know Shaq has great traits like coverage ability, intincts, speed, and coverage ability but is he going to be a liability against the run when teams run his way?

Could someone explain to me again Shaq Thompson's fit here? Strongside linebackers are traditionally closer to 6'4, 250 pounds because of their responsibilities in run support. I know Shaq has great traits like coverage ability, intincts, speed, and coverage ability but is he going to be a liability against the run when teams run his way?

Versatility. He's going to end up a Will any ways.

The concept of the prototype strongside OLB is shifting.  Historically, the weakside OLB was the lighter, more coverage oriented LB while the strongside OLB was the heavier, run stuffing LB.  With the need to match up against today's TEs who are in many ways just oversized WRs, that's changing.  The reason we drafted Shaq is so that we can put three LBs on the field who can all three drop into coverage and play sideline to sideline.  That way, we won't have to run so much nickel and show our hand.

Today's NFL 4-3 LBs are by and large getting smaller and faster compared to the LBs of the '80s.  A physical freak like Brian Urlacher would still excel in today's NFL, but not many of those 6'4" 250 pounders could translate in today's game.  Hell, just try to name some current starting 4-3 LBs who are 250+.  They're almost extinct.

So many teams have 3 WR in their base set that the default defense usually has 5 defensive backs.

Having Shaq allows them to keep a true 4-3 look even when facing 3 receiver sets or 2 receivers + receiving TE (like Jimmy Graham in the slot.  It's true we are giving up a little size from the traditional strong side LB in a 4-3 scheme, but it is tradeoff designed with modern offenses in mind

If you noticed last year, over half the time we only had TD and Luke as the linebackers with Colin Jones playing a lot of snaps.  I think Shaq can cover well plus he is a better tackler than someone the size of Colin Jones.  He will learn a lot playing beside 2 of the best LB's in the game.

Not sure we're going to see as much of Jones in the slot this year.  We played Jones in the slot out of necessity last year in that "buffalo nickel" package.  We had to be able to defend against both the run and the pass and we didn't have a third LB who could fit that role when the offense went three wide.  Putting Jones in at nickel allowed us to get more speed on the field while not giving up as much against the run as a 3rd CB would've done.

Drafting a 3rd LB who can play sideline to sideline means we can run more base 4-3.

Shaq allows the defensive coaching staff the ability to not have to take a LB off of the field on 3rd down (or obvious passing downs) to bring on a DB. He has the ability to cover most TEs and RBs while giving us the ability to also play run with 3 LBs out there.  That's the obvious use.  Now, by being able to not "give away" that we're trying to stop the run or pass. We're able to disguise our looks by being able to play Shaq in multiple positions and not "tip our hand". He's a great fit. 

Not sure we're going to see as much of Jones in the slot this year.  We played Jones in the slot out of necessity last year in that "buffalo nickel" package.  We had to be able to defend against both the run and the pass and we didn't have a third LB who could fit that role when the offense went three wide.  Putting Jones in at nickel allowed us to get more speed on the field while not giving up as much against the run as a 3rd CB would've done.

Drafting a 3rd LB who can play sideline to sideline means we can run more base 4-3.

I agree 100%. Just saying he can step in if necessary, thus eliminating need for more than 5 corners. 

As someone who has seen a tremendous amount of footage on Shaq in college I can tell you he had trouble against big RBs in college. They would stiff arm him and he would have all kinds of problems trying to get them down. I think he's going to have trouble against NFL RBs, and don't be surprised if he misses some RB tackles. The good news is that his speed in pass coverage is elite, and this is a passing league.

Archived