• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Despite recent trade, Panthers still in need of receiver help

Jeremy Igo

Great write up.

One of my pet peeves with Ron is he says now if the current group doesn't show improvement this week they'll be changes why didn't you do something Ron before the last preseason game? You've had TC and now 4 weeks of preseason And now you putting someone on notice. 

If the current group wasn't improving which some of them weren't (actually getting worse.  Philly) then why didn't you play some of the other guys with the 1s to see how they looked in real game action instead of jogging the same ol same ol out there and expecting a different result. 

Thats my pet peeve with Ron he will not make a adjustment until it's absolutely the last resort.  Also alot of his adjustments last year were made out of necessity.  Injuries made him start someone he never intended to. I think he's a good players coach but he's not someone whose gonna reinvent the wheel.

Ron likes his comfortable players       comfortable =complacency. 

Same ol same ol Ron

in fairness to Ron all he can do is coach speak.....he isn't a GM.   All he can do is talk up his crap.

Ron could hate player X and be in DGs ear about X....DG could simply say try to win with X this year and we will look at later.   Ron is gonna then talk up X bc he will be asked about it all year. 

Edited by CRA
  • Pie 1

I just don't think it is going to be realistic to be able to do a lot to improve our situation at this point. You don't want to mortgage the future by giving away too much in a trade or spending a crazy amount of money on a high priced veteran but you aren't going to gain much in value by dumpster diving either. The front office did a reasonable job of setting us up for success at WR in the offseason(drafting and signing) but we have just had some pretty rough breaks that a lot of teams would struggle with.

I think the realistic thing is that we might add someone of fair to middling impact in a minor trade or pick up someone of reasonable value in the cut list, but if anyone really thinks that we are going to be able to get a #1 option, you are going to be disappointed. IMO, that just isn't realistic given the market and the fact that we aren't in a position cap-wise/future-wise to make some blockbuster trade or signing.

Here is to hoping I am wrong and we are able to pull some outstanding player out of somewhere, though.

• Pie 1

Its not like they diddnt know we needed wrs, they drafted benji, devin, brought back ginn and had role players behind them.  3 weeks ago we were flat out set.

Exactly, it really sucks because this offense went from being a legitimate potential threat to a flat out dud with the injury of KB.
It doesn't help adding in Brown's hands and Funchess' hamstring.

I would normally be on board with your input Jeremy, but sure-handed receivers can enable a shorter pass game that will effectively keep the chains moving and help keep a balanced offense for the running attack as well.  As much as people are tired of hearing it, if catchable balls were not dropped at the rate that they were over the past two weeks, our offense is much improved.

• Pie 4

Exactly, it really sucks because this offense went from being a legitimate potential threat to a flat out dud with the injury of KB.
It doesn't help adding in Brown's hands and Funchess' hamstring.

That's most teams though.  Dumb trades are the reason we are still in hurley hell. We have drafted well but that only goes so far and injuries can turn a super bowl team into a 6-10 team real quick. 

• Pie 1

Who in there right mind is going to trade even a #2 WR at this point, that's right no one... 

Keep chasing that rainbow that somehow DG could bring in above average talent. 

there are decent vet WRs that often get let go for youth movements.  Issue is the team often is parting bc of their contract....which would make a trade tough. 

So so maybe that vet would be the 3rd best WR on a stacked roster and they feel comfortable going ahead and getting young.  

Heck, Ginn is a 6th WR on most teams and ultimately is he the clear cut 1 here....so given that we easily could find a 2 in "our world".   So we could easily find a 2 if we wanted it bad enough...a Panther 2 is basically someone else's 4. 

Edited by CRA
  • Pie 1

Who do you want them to get? Just curious

all depends...I don't have access to shooting the poo with GMs and finding what they would give away player X for.   But if you wanted an upgrade HERE you could get it....at a cost. 

Given we just paid Cam....I would consider a bad deal.  Ultimately, all your doing with our current roster is risking his health.  That is the poorest decision to me.

Who in there right mind is going to trade even a #2 WR at this point, that's right no one... 

Keep chasing that rainbow that somehow DG could bring in above average talent. 

The notion that a loads of other teams out there are so stacked at receiver that they'll surely part with one that'd instantly upgrade our passing game is pretty much a myth.

Edited by Mr. Scot
  • Pie 3

The notion that a loads of other teams out there are so stacked at receiver that they'll surely part with one that'd instantly upgrade our passing game is pretty much a myth.

No doubt about it. We were lucky enough to even have a legit #1 WR at all, considering a lot of the other teams out there. It isn't like the two Super Bowl participants last year had guys that anyone would consider a clear #1 WR. That is a pretty thin market as it is.

Ginn is a 6 on most teams and our 1.  So by our definition of finding a 2 or 3.....is basically finding a good 4 or 5.

stacked teams will part with someone who won't play for a price.   Our talent is so bad that a upgrade for our 2 or 3 spot doesn't mean we actually try to get someone else's 2 or 3

Edited by CRA
  • Pie 1