• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Practice Squad: Byrd back, bumps Blechen

jdpanther5

Not so sure about Bersin being called up. Why dump Blechen if you were gonna do that?

There are basically 2 types of practice squad player now. The traditional, limited-experience players you can have a max of 8 of, and 2 exceptions with up to two years of experience (Bersin and Glanton).

Simply promoting Bersin and signing Byrd would make it 9 and 1, or an invalid combination. So in order to bring back Byrd they had to let another of the 8 go: Blechen. 

There are basically 2 types of practice squad player now. The traditional, limited-experience players you can have a max of 8 of, and 2 exceptions with up to two years of experience (Bersin and Glanton).

Simply promoting Bersin and signing Byrd would make it 9 and 1, or an invalid combination. So in order to bring back Byrd they had to let another of the 8 go: Blechen. 

Makes sense.

Honestly, I was just thinking in terms of pure numbers, but what you said applies.

Not so sure about Bersin being called up. Why dump Blechen if you were gonna do that?

Bersin could come up on a Friday (or whatever the last day is that someone from the PS could be active that week) and be fine with a jersey on Sunday, so my guess is that they're evaluating Cotchery to see just how bad the injury is before making a call like that.  Plus, they'd have to drop someone from the active roster. 

Bersin could come up on a Friday (or whatever the last day is that someone from the PS could be active that week) and be fine with a jersey on Sunday, so my guess is that they're evaluating Cotchery to see just how bad the injury is before making a call like that.  Plus, they'd have to drop someone from the active roster. 

Yep.

Yup.  I have no problem with Bersin being called up.  He's obviously a plug & play kind of guy with his experience last year and he basically matches Cotchery's kind of play.

Question is who would you let go from the 53?

1) IR someone if there is a serious injury.  At this point I'm not aware that we have an IR candidate unless there's bad news on Star, Luke, Cotch, D Williams or even Brockel and we'd put one of them on the IR with designation to return list.  Obviously we don't want to go there unless required to do so.

2) Otherwise, you're looking at demoting someone to PS and exposing them to waivers.  Options would be Marlowe, Wegher or possibly Mayo.   Can't believe it would be Mayo with Luke not yet being cleared..., so that leaves Marlowe or Wegher.  Wegher's about to be featured on Undrafted this week I think, keeping his talent fresh in people's minds (not that this is a big factor in a GM's decision to claim someone off waivers!), so my guess is that it could be Marlowe if they demote anyone?

Is there any scenario I'm missing? 

Yup.  I have no problem with Bersin being called up.  He's obviously a plug & play kind of guy with his experience last year and he basically matches Cotchery's kind of play.

Question is who would you let go from the 53?

1) IR someone if there is a serious injury.  At this point I'm not aware that we have an IR candidate unless there's bad news on Star, Luke, Cotch, D Williams or even Brockel and we'd put one of them on the IR with designation to return list.  Obviously we don't want to go there unless required to do so.

2) Otherwise, you're looking at demoting someone to PS and exposing them to waivers.  Options would be Marlowe, Wegher or possibly Mayo.   Can't believe it would be Mayo with Luke not yet being cleared..., so that leaves Marlowe or Wegher.  Wegher's about to be featured on Undrafted this week I think, keeping his talent fresh in people's minds (not that this is a big factor in a GM's decision to claim someone off waivers!), so my guess is that it could be Marlowe if they demote anyone?

Is there any scenario I'm missing? 

I think I've already said this, but I think we'll have an extraneous DT if Star is good to go. Cole or Love could be an option. 

Unfortunately you can't just "demote" someone to the practice squad, they'd have to pass through waivers first. 

Archived