• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Calling a penalty after a review

chknwing

How long does one have to be in bounds in order to make a play on the ball, if they accidently stepped out of bounds prior?

After the next snap or after another player touches the ball.

Once you've gone out of bounds you can not be the first person to touch the ball.  If another player gets the ball first you can receive a lateral or you could pull down a deflected pass.

Having trouble arguing with the PI call. In stride, I think the receiver would have gotten there if he hadn't been pushed. Anyone have a gif?

As I recall, he wasn't in stride.  He had sat down on the route and was facing the QB.  When luke hit him, the ball was only a ball's length off the ground and several yards away.  Unless this receiver has some teleportation abilities, I don't see how he could've gotten within spitting distance of the ball.

Once you've gone out of bounds you can not be the first person to touch the ball.  If another player gets the ball first you can receive a lateral or you could pull down a deflected pass.

but isnt the qb still holding the ball? technically he would be the last person to touch it.

Yeah i just looked up illegal touching. I assumed by how the commentators were talking. all you had to do was reestablish yourself back in the field of play. But Brown didn't get pushed out of bounds. So by default he can't make a play on the ball period. My bad, sorry for ignorance.

Yeah i just looked up illegal touching. I assumed by how the commentators were talking. all you had to do was reestablish yourself back in the field of play. But Brown didn't get pushed out of bounds. So by default he can't make a play on the ball period. My bad, sorry for ignorance.

yeah but that would be illegal touching regardless of whether he caught it or not. they didnt call a penalty until after the review.

but isnt the qb still holding the ball? technically he would be the last person to touch it.

But he was the one with it when Brown went out of bounds.

The ball has to change possession after you come back in bounds for you to be "re-established" in the field of play.

Archived