• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Unheralded Architect of the Carolina Panthers

CPantherKing

I know there are two strong parties regarding the following topic, but we must step back and give thanks to Marty Hurney for what he put together the second time around.

Here is an article by Darin Gantt from PFT that gives him that respect. 

Undefeated Panthers still have Marty Hurney’s fingerprints on roster:

But with time to look back on the glut of deals Hurney signed in 2011, it’s worth wondering how much of that cap consequence might have been avoided if owner Jerry Richardson would have let him extend some of those players before the lockout. Instead, Richardson effectively handcuffed his own roster to prove a larger labor point, at a time he was helping Roger Goodell negotiate a new CBA.

So, in the spirit of the holiday weekend I want to give thanks.

Thank you Hurney, and thank you Gettleman for being humble and not blowing up the foundation set by Hurney. It is going to pay off for another decade.

Hurney and Gettleman both deserve a lot of credit.  But Gettleman fixed the cap and filled in the gaps beautifully.

But Hurney drafted Cam Newton and Luke Kuechly when neither was a slam dunk.  He drafted the two bedrocks of this franchise and so I will always be grateful

Hurney's last draft (2012) was probably his best insofar as the late rounds netting Josh Norman in the 5th.  Lots of folks criticized him for taking a punter in the 6th, but Nortman has been a solid contributor.  Hardy in the 6th round (2010) worked out pretty dang good for a while.  

No doubt Gettleman has done a much more masterful job, but in the spirit of Thanksgiving, thank you Hurney for those few....oh and especially thanks for those first rounders your last two years here!

Thank you for the first rnd picks and that's it, he couldn't do anything right outside of that. Horrible contracts, hanging on to washed up players, missed on almost everything outside of the 1st rnd, trading future picks, I could keep going. Couldn't be happier we got a real gm.

He brought the cornerstones but he did his best to make them not worth a damn thing with the contracts and players he added around them.

teams obviously take time to grow, but he handcuffed this team. Gettleman is allowing them to flourish. I do thank him for taking the "chance" on Cam and luke to some extent. But those two would've gone nowhere with Marty's other GM responsibilities and decisions. Football is the ultimate team sport.

9 minutes ago, Clicheking said:

Thank you for the first rnd picks and that's it, he couldn't do anything right outside of that. Horrible contracts, hanging on to washed up players, missed on almost everything outside of the 1st rnd, trading future picks, I could keep going. Couldn't be happier we got a real gm.

Josh Norman, Brad Nortman, Greg Hardy, David Gettis, Captain Munnerly, Gary Barnidge, Nick Hayden, Geoff Schwartz, Ryan Kalil, Charles Johnson, Dante Rosario, Richard Marshall, James Anderson, Jeff King, Will Montgomery, Evan Mathis, Geoff Hangartner, Jovan Haye, Joe Berger, Keary Colbert, Travelle Wharton, Ricky Manning Jr, DeShaun Foster, and Will Witherspoon. Hurney hit on 2 to 3 players outside of the first round every season excluding 2011 (which was horrible for all GMs outside the top of the 2nd round. Name me one of these players who could not start in the NFL or contribute to a championship contender? Half of these players are still starting in the NFL.

Take this information and decide if this looks like a GM who had a history of poor drafts.

9 minutes ago, CPantherKing said:

Josh Norman, Brad Nortman, Greg Hardy, David Gettis, Captain Munnerly, Gary Barnidge, Nick Hayden, Geoff Schwartz, Ryan Kalil, Charles Johnson, Dante Rosario, Richard Marshall, James Anderson, Jeff King, Will Montgomery, Evan Mathis, Geoff Hangartner, Jovan Haye, Joe Berger, Keary Colbert, Travelle Wharton, Ricky Manning Jr, DeShaun Foster, and Will Witherspoon. Hurney hit on 2 to 3 players outside of the first round every season excluding 2011 (which was horrible for all GMs outside the top of the 2nd round. Name me one of these players who could not start in the NFL or contribute to a championship contender? Half of these players are still starting in the NFL.

Take this information and decide if this looks like a GM who had a history of poor drafts.

Not sure if your joking or serious. Of that list Johnson, Norman, Kalil, Nortman, Capn, Wharton and Witherspoon and Hardy were impactful play FOR Carolina. Mathis and Barnidge after they left, most of those other players are marginal players at best, and/or don't have any business on a championship level team ie: Nick Hayden, Jeff King. I got a list for you: Everrette Brown, Jimmy Clause, Sione Fua, Terrell Mclain, Amanti Edwards, Attiyah Ellison, Kilah Pilares, Eric Shelton, Duke Robinson, Corvey Irvin,  Sherrod Martin,  Eric Norwood, Brandon Hogan. A lot of the players were 2nd and 3rd rounders and lasted less than a year.....He literally hit on 12-15 players out a possible 60+, that means 75% of the players he drafted after the 1st couldn't make the team. For a team that doesn't do much in free agency that will cripple your frannchise for example the 2011 season.

Archived