• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Star Wars TFA Discussion <Spoilers>

Darth Biscuit

42 minutes ago, cardiackat88. said:

Was it just me or was the entire First Order leadership completely incompetent? That General sucked, Rylo fuged up repeatedly, and for fugs sake, EVERYONE on that ship let the best x-wing fighter the resistance had be walked around casually by one storm trooper and hop into a tie fighter unnoticed long enough to start it up etc.

Weird theory: Snoke is not who we see in the hologram, he is someone else wanting to rule the galaxy. Maybe someone we know, maybe someone we have never seen.

Not saying I want Palpatine to return (I don't. Would slap the original trilogy in the face and would be a weak move in general), but he's going to be a Palpatine-like character. Maybe even a pureblood Sith that somehow survived all this time. No clue. Regardless, Kylo will be our Darth Vader for this trilogy. How the ultimately use him is anybody's guess. Just don't have him in internal conflict with himself and don't have him take a turn towards the light at the end. Let him be bad until his death so we get some satisfaction and retribution for Han. Gotta happen.

I saw the movie a few days ago and I liked it. I didn't really start to love it until the car ride home. The movie makes you think about some things. It doesn't just throw it right at you. 

For example, I can't believe how many people are upset by Kylo Ren. At first, I didn't like the character BUT Adam Driver completely sold me on it. He seemed weak, but that's how the character was supposed to be portrayed. He is young and mentally unstable. His emotions are conflicted and when something goes wrong that's out of his control, he is filled with rage. His training isn't even complete yet. I felt it was obvious in the fight scene with Finn, he wasn't taking him seriously and once Finn got lucky, Ren took him out.

People also criticized the fact that Rey kicked Ren's ass without training. Well the movie made a point to show you her fighting with the staff at the beginning. She knows how to handle herself. As others have mentioned, the movie also made a point to show you the strength of the bowcaster. So Ren was also fighting two people after taking a shot from Chewie's bowcaster. He took care of Finn and he is obviously holding himself back against Rey. Why? Well I have a theory about that. 

1. Rey is Luke's daughter. When Kylo Ren killed all the others at the new academy, he left Rey alive. Why? It's his cousin. Maybe they were close. It's possible he spared her because he couldn't bring himself to finish the job. That being said, Rey would at that point have some Jedi training that was obviously suppressed when she was left on Jakku. This would explain how she so easily grasped it when she was locked up.

Luke leaving his daughter with someone else would make sense, as he was left with Uncle Owen on Tatooine when Padme died. It was for her safety. It's the last place anyone would look for her. It would also make sense that

I don't think the comedy parts were overdone. I think they were perfectly placed. I don't think BB8 was too anthropomorphistic. I honestly think it fits perfectly in the Star Wars universe. Over the top would've been Jar Jar Binks making an appearance. 

My only complaint is that while Kylo Ren's character is believable, General Hux isn't. He is too young. When you see him, you see a young officer. You don't see a feared and respected commander. I think he should've been about 20 years older. His speech was almost laughable. I think he was cast wrong. 

So, pretty much, I love Rey, Finn, Po, and Kylo Ren. I don't like Hux and I'm disappointed that we didn't see more of Phasma. 

One last thing, and this may be a spoiler for people who still want to speculate on who certain people are. 

It has been confirmed in a interview that Supreme Leader Snoke is his own character and is NOT someone pulled and renamed from the EU. 

11 hours ago, Kuhndog94 said:

I saw the movie a few days ago and I liked it. I didn't really start to love it until the car ride home. The movie makes you think about some things. It doesn't just throw it right at you. 

For example, I can't believe how many people are upset by Kylo Ren. At first, I didn't like the character BUT Adam Driver completely sold me on it. He seemed weak, but that's how the character was supposed to be portrayed. He is young and mentally unstable. His emotions are conflicted and when something goes wrong that's out of his control, he is filled with rage. His training isn't even complete yet. I felt it was obvious in the fight scene with Finn, he wasn't taking him seriously and once Finn got lucky, Ren took him out.

People also criticized the fact that Rey kicked Ren's ass without training. Well the movie made a point to show you her fighting with the staff at the beginning. She knows how to handle herself. As others have mentioned, the movie also made a point to show you the strength of the bowcaster. So Ren was also fighting two people after taking a shot from Chewie's bowcaster. He took care of Finn and he is obviously holding himself back against Rey. Why? Well I have a theory about that. 

1. Rey is Luke's daughter. When Kylo Ren killed all the others at the new academy, he left Rey alive. Why? It's his cousin. Maybe they were close. It's possible he spared her because he couldn't bring himself to finish the job. That being said, Rey would at that point have some Jedi training that was obviously suppressed when she was left on Jakku. This would explain how she so easily grasped it when she was locked up.

Luke leaving his daughter with someone else would make sense, as he was left with Uncle Owen on Tatooine when Padme died. It was for her safety. It's the last place anyone would look for her. It would also make sense that

I don't think the comedy parts were overdone. I think they were perfectly placed. I don't think BB8 was too anthropomorphistic. I honestly think it fits perfectly in the Star Wars universe. Over the top would've been Jar Jar Binks making an appearance. 

My only complaint is that while Kylo Ren's character is believable, General Hux isn't. He is too young. When you see him, you see a young officer. You don't see a feared and respected commander. I think he should've been about 20 years older. His speech was almost laughable. I think he was cast wrong. 

So, pretty much, I love Rey, Finn, Po, and Kylo Ren. I don't like Hux and I'm disappointed that we didn't see more of Phasma. 

One last thing, and this may be a spoiler for people who still want to speculate on who certain people are. 

It has been confirmed in a interview that Supreme Leader Snoke is his own character and is NOT someone pulled and renamed from the EU. 

I think Hux may have been cast younger and out of place solely for the purpose that it seemed him and Kylo were in competition, and they needed to appear close in age.

I also believe, rather they know it or not, that they are cousins. Which is really cool because it's like Vaders dark side and good side are still pitted against each other via two of his grandchildren.

I liked the movie a lot.  But if I had to nitpick I'm wondering how the Alliance from the end of Return of the Jedi lost power so quickly? This would be like the Nazis coming back into power in 1985.  How did the Alliance go from destroying the Empire, to becoming a part of this "resistance" group?  And how did this First Order create a super weapon that can take out planets without anyone noticing?  That should have been addressed a little bit more.  When they were in the control room and the computer is showing the difference between the Death Star and the Starkiller, someone should have yelled out "HOW THE HELL DID WE LET THIS HAPPEN!?!?!"  When you lose power this quickly shouldn't there be anger and frustration?

But overall it was a good movie.  I will say that I was waaaaay more interested in what the new characters were doing.  Rather than the old character.  (I was actually kind of annoyed that R2-D2 and C-3PO made an appearance).  And I don't really care to see Carrie Fisher again.  She was maybe the worst part of the movie.  But I do want to see more Poe, Finn, and Rey.  Especially Poe I was bummed that he wasn't in the movie enough.            

3 hours ago, fitty76 said:

how did this First Order create a super weapon that can take out planets without anyone noticing?  That should have been addressed a little bit more.  When they were in the control room and the computer is showing the difference between the Death Star and the Starkiller, someone should have yelled out "HOW THE HELL DID WE LET THIS HAPPEN!?!?!"  When you lose power this quickly shouldn't there be anger and frustration?

If I had to guess, I would say the super weapon was made very, very, far away. Possibly that "outer realm" that Finn was trying to escape to.

i wondered the same things though, about the empire rising and how did Hans Solo seem to have hot rock bottom? The heroes were more like survivors from post apocalyptic fiction. 

Somewhere, all of these empire star destroyers, equipment, etc all had to be funded. By who?

i read a good theory that said "Snoke" may be a ghost, not a hologram. He doesn't flicker or distort when talking, and also seems to be in a creepy graveyard setting.

The Force Awakens in a nutshell

Article%20Lead%20-%20wide1003860843glo94

I can't believe that they did another Death Star.

Movie was a Marvelized version of A New Hope. JJ sucks at directing - he's a Michael Bay that critics love.Rey is a Mary Sue who's already good at everything. Like she could pull of poo within 30 minutes that Luke learned in the course of 3 films (which is years of "off screen time"). Kylo Ren clearly isn't a threat to her. only way she can face problems now is if she has a downfall like Anikin and becomes evil. Would make for a decent plot if Kylo Ren inadvertently becomes good. But who am I kidding? VIII is probably going to be Rey training with Luke, while Poe and Finn run away from the first order.

I'm sorry for making fun of the PT, George. At least they tried new poo. It shouldn't have ended like this. I'll watch episode 8 for based Rian Johnson, but if even he can't salvage it im out.

Finally got to see it on New Year's Day. Took my oldest (5yo) with me.

Haven't read the thread yet, but here are my thoughts.

First off: A+ great movie, well done JJ, etc. etc. etc. I can't praise enough how well the movie was executed and the feels I got at the end. I teared up at the ending, seeing Luke and all, and those closing shots. I don't know if it was nostalgia, excitement for the future, being able to share the experience with my young son, or a combination of all the above. I will be going to see it again soon.

Now, on the story and my theories and stuff:

I'm not sold on Rey being Luke's child. She could very well be Han/Leia's, a Kenobi, or Luke and Mara's. We got the flashback scene with her being left behind on Jakku, but not much other than that. I could see scenarios for Luke leaving her there, because he saw the coming collapse of his training program or something like that, but I could see her being Ben's sister too. Han knocked Leia up before he left her. She had the baby, but exiled her much like she and Luke were split up by Padme. Or, this whole "Rey is a Kenobi" theory could hold water because of his seclusion and time between ROTS and ANH. I feel like if she was Obi Wan's, though, she would be older. That is the stumbling block for me.

One thing I did feel like, though, is that the actress that plays Rey looks a bit like the actor that played young Anakin did, though.

I think I am actually leaning towards Ben and Rey being siblings more than anything else. Han left Leia when the whole Kylo Ren thing happened to Luke, I think. If Han would have known Leia was pregnant, he never would have left. Think about how well Han took to Rey, and how she basically replaces him at the end of the movie...

Maz Kanata, I think, is onto this fact. She is basically a well known associate of Han, and see's Han's eyes in Rey's.

I even think Chewie senses this.

On the Finn front... He obviously has an attenuation to the force. I don't think the killing/pillaging were only bothering him from a moral standpoint... I think the extinguishing of lives like that seemed to be physically making him ill, much like Jedi/Sith can sense disturbances in the force like that. It may be nothing, but I got that feeling that he will somehow end up getting trained as a Jedi too.

I loved the nostalgia, though. From R2, C3PO, Han and Chewie, Luke and Leia, etc. etc. etc. It was all great. Also, new stuff like BB-8 and all that were awesome. I can't wait another two years for the next one! AHHHHHHH!

Oh, I forgot to add... The ONLY thing that bothered me really, the whole move, and that I will fight anyone's opinions over is this:

HOW ARE YOU GOING TO WANT ME TO SIT THERE AND BELIEVE THAT, DESPITE APPARENT DECADES TOGETHER, HAN HAS NEVER HAD TO USE CHEWIE'S BOWCASTER BEFORE?!?!?!?!?!? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME WITH THIS BULLSHIT JJ ABRAMS OMG YOU ARE TERRIBLE!!!!!!

Legit thought, though... translated into the outrage some people are expressing over some things about this movie.

It was an amazing movie, people... But I will fight that bowcaster fight until I am gone from this world!

6 hours ago, Bronn said:

Finally got to see it on New Year's Day. Took my oldest (5yo) with me.

Haven't read the thread yet, but here are my thoughts.

First off: A+ great movie, well done JJ, etc. etc. etc. I can't praise enough how well the movie was executed and the feels I got at the end. I teared up at the ending, seeing Luke and all, and those closing shots. I don't know if it was nostalgia, excitement for the future, being able to share the experience with my young son, or a combination of all the above. I will be going to see it again soon.

Now, on the story and my theories and stuff:

I'm not sold on Rey being Luke's child. She could very well be Han/Leia's, a Kenobi, or Luke and Mara's. We got the flashback scene with her being left behind on Jakku, but not much other than that. I could see scenarios for Luke leaving her there, because he saw the coming collapse of his training program or something like that, but I could see her being Ben's sister too. Han knocked Leia up before he left her. She had the baby, but exiled her much like she and Luke were split up by Padme. Or, this whole "Rey is a Kenobi" theory could hold water because of his seclusion and time between ROTS and ANH. I feel like if she was Obi Wan's, though, she would be older. That is the stumbling block for me.

One thing I did feel like, though, is that the actress that plays Rey looks a bit like the actor that played young Anakin did, though.

I think I am actually leaning towards Ben and Rey being siblings more than anything else. Han left Leia when the whole Kylo Ren thing happened to Luke, I think. If Han would have known Leia was pregnant, he never would have left. Think about how well Han took to Rey, and how she basically replaces him at the end of the movie...

Maz Kanata, I think, is onto this fact. She is basically a well known associate of Han, and see's Han's eyes in Rey's.

I even think Chewie senses this.

On the Finn front... He obviously has an attenuation to the force. I don't think the killing/pillaging were only bothering him from a moral standpoint... I think the extinguishing of lives like that seemed to be physically making him ill, much like Jedi/Sith can sense disturbances in the force like that. It may be nothing, but I got that feeling that he will somehow end up getting trained as a Jedi too.

I loved the nostalgia, though. From R2, C3PO, Han and Chewie, Luke and Leia, etc. etc. etc. It was all great. Also, new stuff like BB-8 and all that were awesome. I can't wait another two years for the next one! AHHHHHHH!

Obi's granddaughter?

On 1/4/2016 at 2:53 AM, Sean Payton's Vicodin said:

The Force Awakens in a nutshell

Article%20Lead%20-%20wide1003860843glo94

I can't believe that they did another Death Star.

Movie was a Marvelized version of A New Hope. JJ sucks at directing - he's a Michael Bay that critics love.Rey is a Mary Sue who's already good at everything. Like she could pull of poo within 30 minutes that Luke learned in the course of 3 films (which is years of "off screen time"). Kylo Ren clearly isn't a threat to her. only way she can face problems now is if she has a downfall like Anikin and becomes evil. Would make for a decent plot if Kylo Ren inadvertently becomes good. But who am I kidding? VIII is probably going to be Rey training with Luke, while Poe and Finn run away from the first order.

I'm sorry for making fun of the PT, George. At least they tried new poo. It shouldn't have ended like this. I'll watch episode 8 for based Rian Johnson, but if even he can't salvage it im out.

I would enjoy the twist of Rey being the one to go full dark side and Ren being pulled back to the Light. 

Archived