• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Good article on Gettleman

sharkkiller

Here is a nice article on Gettleman from Fox Sports.

Linky Link Link

The Carolina Panthers have made the playoffs for three consecutive seasons and are now on the cusp of a Super Bowl appearance.

It’s no coincidence such success came about after Dave Gettleman arrived as general manager.

A long-time NFL scout and personnel director for the New York Giants, Gettleman was a surprise hire when tapped to replace the fired Marty Hurney following Carolina’s 2012 season. He was the oldest candidate interviewed at age 62. Gettleman didn’t even have an agent trying to pitch him for GM jobs or championing him through media leaks, which made him a relative unknown outside league circles.

People know Gettleman’s name now. Under his watch, the Panthers enter Sunday’s NFC championship game against visiting Arizona with an NFL-high 10 Pro Bowl selections from a squad that finished with a league-best 15-1 record during the regular season

We have to win. At the end of the day, it’s all about W’s and L’s. Nothing else. It’s just so much easier to get that done when everyone is on the same page. It works for us.

"That’s why when that (media) report came out when we were 1-2 that we were looking for a head coach I was so f****** furious. I got up in the press box when one of the (reporters) came over to me about it and said, “This is unbelievable bulls***. It’s unequivocally false.” I went to Ron after I heard it and said, “Talking man-to-man here, that is bulls***. Let’s keep working and get this fixed.” We then went on an eight-game winning streak."

fug dude. Gman is the man.

I remember a lot of us were talking  after daves first press conference that leadership of a football team started from the top and the dude got it. From his comments about cam having to win from the pocket to be successful. How he put everyone on notice, how he strengthened competition in training camp from day 1. How he cut older fan favorites and did not give a fug what anyone thought.

a ton of fans were very resistant to a lot of this stuff and his northern accent. What he has done here has been incredible. Thank you JR and accorsi for finding the right guy.

15 minutes ago, Lomez said:

Loved the story about the first Ron - Dave meeting over pancakes. I suspect they went to Original Pancake House.

I also couldn't help but hear Dave's voice in my head as I read his responses.

Original Pancake House is my poo. 

Edit: bup bup bup bup 

Double edit: toot toot mother fugers

We really needed Gettleman to come in here and not have any emotions tied to players. He just looked at everything we had and made some really tough calls. Kudos to he and Rivera for working together and not throwing each other under the bus when things got tough. And kudos to the Big Cat for letting these guys do their jobs.

26 minutes ago, TheRumGone said:

"That’s why when that (media) report came out when we were 1-2 that we were looking for a head coach I was so f****** furious. I got up in the press box when one of the (reporters) came over to me about it and said, “This is unbelievable bulls***. It’s unequivocally false.” I went to Ron after I heard it and said, “Talking man-to-man here, that is bulls***. Let’s keep working and get this fixed.” We then went on an eight-game winning streak."

fug dude. Gman is the man.

They're still looking for the bodies of whoever it was that originally started the rumor.

That article was great. 

Perfectvexample of patience and continuity. I hope the Buccs keep recycling coaches. 

It'll be interesting to see how Quinn and Caldwell do in Detroit. It's a similar scenario of new GM retaining a perceived mediocre HC who rallied the team to a late season surge. 

7 minutes ago, jayflip said:

That article was great. 

Perfectvexample of patience and continuity. I hope the Buccs keep recycling coaches. 

It'll be interesting to see how Quinn and Caldwell do in Detroit. It's a similar scenario of new GM retaining a perceived mediocre HC who rallied the team to a late season surge. 

Yeah and if i remember right they also hired accorsi for the GM search.

This is what many Panthers fans after three years continue not to get regarding Drafting For Need vs Best Player:

The biggest thing (in the offseason) is you evaluate your team. In my opinion, the next biggest thing is how the free-agent period sets up your draft. The worst thing you can do is go into the draft desperately needing some type of position because I’m a firm believer in best player available. If you look at the three years I’ve been here, that’s what we’ve done. I haven’t strayed from it. You can never have too many good players at one position. The outside perception is, “Oh, they need this, this and this and they have to draft.” The thing people don’t understand is sometimes you have to improve at a position incrementally. You’ve got a player who’s an average guy. You want to replace him, but you’re not going to be able to replace every one of those guys with a Pro Bowl player. The (salary) cap won’t allow you do to it.

The other thing you have to do is prevent position disasters. If Joe Blow goes down, you’re screwed. You might as well go home because the guys behind him just can’t get it done. … I kept saying to myself, “What are we going to do at receiver if Kelvin (Benjamin) gets hurt and linebacker if T.D. (Thomas Davis) gets hurt?” So you saw in the first and second round we drafted Shaq Thompson and traded up for Devin Funchess. Devin has not disappointed. Devin’s development was hurt because he had hamstring issues and missed most of training camp.

I also wanted to get a young developmental tackle. We got him in Daryl (Williams). We wanted to get a young running back in here, and we got Cameron Artis-Payne. And on (special) teams, we got David Mayo and he’s done a great job for us. We didn’t reach for any of those guys.

I felt like we answered a lot of the questions we had. I answered the question before the season began that I thought this was the best roster we’ve had since I’ve been here. Obviously, if Luke or Cam gets hurt it’s an issue. But I’m talking about in terms of quality depth. We get (safety) Kurt Coleman in free agency last year and we’re thinking he’s going to be a swing guy (as a backup). He wins the job in training camp, so that means Tre (Boston) is not starting. But Tre has gotten his snaps and done a hell of a job on (special) teams.

Great thoughts, and philosophy by him:

Archived