• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

RUMOR IS WE ARE INTERESTED IN BRAXTON MILLER.

juliosantos

4 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

You think he is that much of a project? The games I watched of him as a WR, he seemed pretty damn comfortable. No question he is an elite playmaker too.

I know the scenarios were different, but KB had that "raw" label put on him as well. 

I think Funch and KB outside with Brax in the slot sounds very appealing.

His route running is kind of a disaster. That's why I call him a project. He is fantastic at getting open, but the issue is he runs playground routes often with complex jukes at the top of his route. They work wonderfully in settings like senior bowl practices where he tore it up with no pass rush or need for timing but that doesn't really work in games and especially not the NFL where timing is of the utmost importance. If he needs to be at a spot on a crossing route in 1.8 seconds but doesn't get there until 2.2 seconds then the ball is sailing past into the arms of a safety or the QB is staring him down waiting for him to finish his route and the LB is going to jump in front or the DE bends the edge for a sack. He has a lot of work to do in that regard and it didn't help that his only time at WR was in a spread system with a limited route tree so he doesn't have the exposure to a more expansive pro route tree.

KB in my opinion was really just a victim of lazy labeling. He wasn't really that raw. He came out of a pro style system and ran all the routes. He can get a little sloppy on his routes but I think that is more of a function of him being enormous so it's much more difficult for him to make at speed transitions than it is for smaller guys with a lower center of gravity. Megatron has(had) the same issue. In addition to that he has inconsistent hands which honestly will probably always be an issue for him. Basically, people just saw a big, tall WR who was quite as good as they wanted him to be and slapped the raw label on him when in reality he's never going to be a perfect route runner due to his size like an Amari Cooper is and will always have some questions about his hands, but he does run solid routes and uses his size better than almost any WR. He can get better of course as he adjusts to the NFL game but he was ready to go from day 1.

To be clear, I really like Braxton Miller and think he can be a great NFL WR with time, but I do not like Braxton Miller in the 1st round. He's a freak athlete, but needs a lot of work. That wouldn't be so much of an issue if he wasn't turning 24 in the middle of next season. Compare him to Randall Cobb who did a similar QB to WR transition successfully. Cobb spent his 1st year as a primarily a punt returner then grew into the WR role but he was 21 in his rookie year. Cobb will be 26 next season and is a year into his second contract entering his prime. Miller would be turning 29 at the same point in his career and leaving his prime. Using a 1st round pick on a guy you have to develop for a year or two then get a few good years out of before they leave their prime is not great return on investment. KB was older like Braxton but he was ready to go out of the gate.

I got Miller as 32 on my top 32 and well aware thats stupid high.(#2 overall WR) He going to need time, maybe more than normal. Theres plenty of guys ID prefer in the 1st, but come the 2nd worth the risk.

For me there's not barely any difference between 18ish-55ish. Miller is in that group that could be a 1st or fall til 3rd.

14 hours ago, juliosantos said:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2628340-insider-buzz-4-teams-eyeing-braxton-miller-in-round-1-texans-highly-interested      Might be some bs because gettleman never lets anyone know who hes interested in and this is most likely bleacher report talking there bs, but i could see the reason around it we are looking for a slot receiver in this draft and miller makes sense because of his speed and big play ability   . idk about yall but id be happy as pluck if we got him in the first , what you guys think?

He is a great athlete, an intelligent person, and a high character guy.  I see Panthers all over him.  2nd - 3rd round.

Besides, he is a Buckeye.  Were it not for Utah, Ohio State, and Coastal Carolina, where would we be?

1 hour ago, MHS831 said:

He is a great athlete, an intelligent person, and a high character guy.  I see Panthers all over him.  2nd - 3rd round.

Besides, he is a Buckeye.  Were it not for Utah, Ohio State, and Coastal Carolina, where would we be?

Georgia

While a team with few holes can gamble on someone like Braxton I do not see it happening. He is older and once you spend a good amount of time making them great its time for them to leave or give them a big contract when they are 2-3 years older than most rookies. ala Josh Norman

18 hours ago, Bartin said:

His route running is kind of a disaster. That's why I call him a project. He is fantastic at getting open, but the issue is he runs playground routes often with complex jukes at the top of his route. They work wonderfully in settings like senior bowl practices where he tore it up with no pass rush or need for timing but that doesn't really work in games and especially not the NFL where timing is of the utmost importance. If he needs to be at a spot on a crossing route in 1.8 seconds but doesn't get there until 2.2 seconds then the ball is sailing past into the arms of a safety or the QB is staring him down waiting for him to finish his route and the LB is going to jump in front or the DE bends the edge for a sack. He has a lot of work to do in that regard and it didn't help that his only time at WR was in a spread system with a limited route tree so he doesn't have the exposure to a more expansive pro route tree.

KB in my opinion was really just a victim of lazy labeling. He wasn't really that raw. He came out of a pro style system and ran all the routes. He can get a little sloppy on his routes but I think that is more of a function of him being enormous so it's much more difficult for him to make at speed transitions than it is for smaller guys with a lower center of gravity. Megatron has(had) the same issue. In addition to that he has inconsistent hands which honestly will probably always be an issue for him. Basically, people just saw a big, tall WR who was quite as good as they wanted him to be and slapped the raw label on him when in reality he's never going to be a perfect route runner due to his size like an Amari Cooper is and will always have some questions about his hands, but he does run solid routes and uses his size better than almost any WR. He can get better of course as he adjusts to the NFL game but he was ready to go from day 1.

To be clear, I really like Braxton Miller and think he can be a great NFL WR with time, but I do not like Braxton Miller in the 1st round. He's a freak athlete, but needs a lot of work. That wouldn't be so much of an issue if he wasn't turning 24 in the middle of next season. Compare him to Randall Cobb who did a similar QB to WR transition successfully. Cobb spent his 1st year as a primarily a punt returner then grew into the WR role but he was 21 in his rookie year. Cobb will be 26 next season and is a year into his second contract entering his prime. Miller would be turning 29 at the same point in his career and leaving his prime. Using a 1st round pick on a guy you have to develop for a year or two then get a few good years out of before they leave their prime is not great return on investment. KB was older like Braxton but he was ready to go out of the gate.

Great post man. Thanks for the analysis. Makes sense.

Archived