• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dwight Howard

Ship

Watching him on TNT after the game tonight, I am warming up to him more. He seems hungry to win and I think he wants to be on a team where he is valued and the guys all work hard. I think we have that type of team and he would have fun here and can be himself. Plus, we have great coaches who he is familiar with. 

I think our biggest selling point is that he can be himself here in a smaller market and we NEED him to get to the next level. a guy like him is the difference in our playoffs this year.

I also think he is the only guy we can get this offseason who will provide the physicality and rebounding and defensive presence down low that this team is severely lacking. I think he would change a lot for this team.

I agree. We are the type of team that would allow Howard to be good again. He won't have the expectations and scrutiny he has had in LA or Houston and the offense here will be built around him(1 in 4 out that we already run).

That all being said not sure it gets done though. We would likely have to lose Lee, Marvin, Lin and Al to keep Batum and bring in Howard, then our bench would be terrible again.

Team would look something like

Kemba/?

Batum/Lamb

MKG/?

Frank/?

Howard/Cody/Hawes

And that is a lot of questions to have to fill when the team would be cap strapped with only one late first round pick.

Who isn't hungry for money?  Either way, Howard is the best chance of us landing a top free agent that could make an impact.  The other ones (minus Batum) are just not coming here.   There are risks to it, obviously, but not sure we have a choice.

If he is truly interested in winning a Championship, here is a list of FIT and MISFIT contenders:

Contenders:
Warriors - They aren't giving big $ to Dwight. That locker room is not risking anything.. MISFIT
Cavs - I don't see how they can fit him on their roster.. MISFIT
Spurs - Pop and Dwight - No Way.. MISFIT
OKC - Adams seems like their postman of the future.. MISFIT
Clippers - They can't play both of the worst FT shooters of alltime.. MISFIT

2nd Level:
Portland - Dame and CJ need a presence down low.. FIT
Toronto - Valanciunas is their big man - MISFIT
Detroit - Van Gundy is Coach/GM - no way he brings back Dwight.. MISFIT
Charlotte - Big Al is gone. Clifford likes Dwight.. FIT
Miami - They want Whiteside and will keep him.. MISFIT
Washington - Dwight with Beal and Wall - upgrade over Gortat.. FIT
Boston - They need a legit big man for Isaiah Thomas to work with.. FIT

I really only see 4 teams - Portland, Washington, Boston and Charlotte - as potential landing spots for Dwight.

That was a great interview, but something about it just seems off. Like Howard knows the "stink" is on him at this point. He's left every single team he has been on in disarray. Would not surprise me at all if this wasn't highly coordinated by his PR people to try and save face so he can get one last big contract. 

I still don't want us to sign him, but if we do by god I hope he doesn't ruin what we've got going. 

disagree, Howard + Batum + Kemba would be amazing.. re-sign Lin off the bench

Kemba has never had that big man than he can LOB it up to to slam home.. he could dump it into Al and let him goto work but Al couldn't bail him out when he drives and gets cut off by the defensive help.. add in a cutting MKG back in the mix - we could do so much if we somehow get Batum back and then get Howard..

Kemba-Batum-Howard, plus throwing in MKG would be average in the West, but it is good enough for second in the East (better than we have ever reached) and would put us a couple of lucky breaks from the Finals.

I say go for it.  What is the worst that can happen?  We get knocked out in the first round?

Archived