• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers out of chairs in TEs meeting room – literally

Moorgan

I hadn't realized we had picked up Lucas. That makes camp pretty tough for the TE position but I don't expect we will carry more than 3. 12 or 2 may make the practice squad depending on how things go though.

Carolina Panthers have 8 tight ends on their roster after carrying 3 for Super Bowl.

"They’ve brought in five more in the past three weeks. They drafted Beau Sandland in the seventh round, signed undrafted rookies Jake McGee and Andrew Bonnet, added Charlotte native Braxton Deaver after their rookie minicamp and re-acquired Marcus Lucas by claiming him on waivers from the Bears."

But I liked this bit from Olsen the most:

“I think it’s a position of need right now in the NFL. It’s kind of an en vogue position. Everybody’s trying to find the next guy,” said Olsen, 31, who’s made the Pro Bowl the past two seasons. “The reality is I’m not 25 anymore, but I’m also going to make it hard for these young guys to take time away from me. I don’t anticipate slowing down anytime soon.”

Olsen, during an appearance at Charlotte Motor Speedway, added, “I anticipate playing for a good number of years remaining and at the same time help these young guys grow.”

Olsen said he had an “unbelievable mentor” in Desmond Clark after Chicago drafted Olsen in the first round in 2007. He said he’d like to repay the favor to the Panthers’ young crop of tight ends.

Mods delete this if it has already been posted. The board is taking forever to load for me so I have no idea if someone else already posted this.

BBR has a short video clip of Greg giving his comments on the TE situation for the team.  It's really worth watching.  Greg has the perfect attitude.  It will be great to have him mentoring these guys during camp, and then for one or two of them, going forward during the season.

http://blackandbluereview.com/panthers-tight-end-additions-maybe-its-the-phase-out-of-greg-olsen/

7 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

BBR has a short video clip of Greg giving his comments on the TE situation for the team.  It's really worth watching.  Greg has the perfect attitude.  It will be great to have him mentoring these guys during camp, and then for one or two of them, going forward during the season.

http://blackandbluereview.com/panthers-tight-end-additions-maybe-its-the-phase-out-of-greg-olsen/

Greg Olsen is one gorgeous man.

Bill Voth has also added a feature article about Olsen in addition to the video clip I linked above:

http://blackandbluereview.com/panthers-greg-olsen-wants-to-keep-playing/

A REALLY good read....  here's an excerpt:

If the Panthers were having a competition for busiest offseason schedule, Olsen would be neck-and-neck with quarterback Cam Newton.

"We have a wonderful opportunity to have a platform to experience a lot of things maybe some other people don't. We understand that, we cherish that, and we feel very fortunate to be in this position," said Olsen, who then provided reassurance to the section of the Internet that may be wondering why he's not watching more film.

"The one thing I'll never do is I'll never jeopardize my preparation.

"At the end of the day, I'm a football player. I'm paid to be prepared and people rely on me to get a job done and I will never jeopardize that or sacrifice any efforts towards that goal."

As anyone who takes a daily peek at the Panthers' Snapchat knows, Olsen has been in the weight room with his teammates since the start of offseason workouts. So despite his other activities, he's not skipping the #riseandgrind.

Besides, he has a streak to continue.

Olsen's 142 consecutive games played is the second-longest such streak in the NFL, behind Dallas' Jason Witten (207). Because Olsen has long admired Witten's longevity, it's a good bet Olsen is hoping to at least match Witten's seasons played. He's heading into year 14, four ahead of Olsen.

Because he continues to set individual and team records, it's hard to imagine the Panthers without Olsen anytime soon. But that day is coming — eventually.

In the meantime, he hopes to be like his "unbelievable mentor" Desmond Clark, who was at the top of Chicago's depth chart when the Bears took Olsen in the first round of the 2007 draft. Of course, it helps that as the Panthers look to improve their pass-catching options at tight end, it's in addition to and not at the expense of their current Pro Bowler.

"I understand what that was like to have an older guy not look at you as a threat and look at you as somebody that they can help bring along. So I welcome that opportunity," Olsen said.

"I will always do everything in my power to help them improve, help them be the best that they can, and at the same time, make it really hard for them to beat me out."

4 hours ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

Greg Olsen is one gorgeous man.

so much so I own a sweet 88 black Olsen jersey that is!! Embroided numbers and patches such a great jersey..Replaces my Smitty and Weinke jersey's I lost due to unforeseen circumstances..

Archived