• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2016 Free Agency Discussions

HeatCheck

3 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

That a guess, or do you have reason to think there's more to the Belinelli deal?  I started to believe there was more to it, but Lee signing with NY took some wind out if those sails for me.

gut feeling.  Kings are overloaded at guard, drafting another one via trade doesn't make much sense if any at all.  Not to mention Richardson never had a work out for the Kings.  I dont see the Kings trading for a player they never brought in for a workout.  There is more involved here.

41 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

I respect your knowledge and posts BP, but i am siding with chuck on this one, as of right now.  IMO, BOS, NY, INDY, and possibly ORL have all surpassed us thus far, and it's not close.  

Admittedly, I didnt expect us to make big splashes early, nor did I think we needed to.  But, then the market dictated differently...  After two days in, it was clear we needed to be aggressive or we would be left without any upgrades...  which is where we're at now.  Anything left at positions of need are at best, lateral moves.  

Hopefully Cho can pull off something big in a trade because we screwed up FA.  We needed to add at least one top-tier guy, and we didn't even sniff them. 

Just thinking - what might have you done differently? Let Batum and Marvin walk and hope Dwight or Horford comes to Charlotte on a max deal?

21 minutes ago, nctarheel0619 said:

They have to be doing something else.  Because in hindsight, keeping two guys, and getting an injury prone MKG, and Marco isn't exactly pretty on paper or on the court.  

Right! Also Marvin took a discount to stay because they are still working on improving things.. now Cho and Co. have to come through on making things happen.. oh boi, do i hate putting my trust in that guy

57 minutes ago, bLACKpANTHER said:

Just thinking - what might have you done differently? Let Batum and Marvin walk and hope Dwight or Horford comes to Charlotte on a max deal?

Nah, as i've stated elsewhere, i felt Batum had to be our #1 priority.  So, that would've been move #1 for me.  But, if that was 1A, 1B would've been getting one of those top-tier bigs (Whiteside, Howard, Noah).  Then Marvin would've been a concern after those two things were done first.  Without upgrading the big, bringing back a role player like Marvin is meaningless.  Furthermore, as much as I admire him as a human being, fellow Tarheel, and great teammate with ability to contribute, i would've been weary of giving him a 4 year extension at this point in his career either way.

Instead, we re-signed Batum, which was a must, but then immediately focused on Marvin, while the market dried up at our weakest positions and we lost our 6th man/backup PG and starting SG (which is a bit inconsequential bc MKG and Batum should be on the floor together this season, but still).

I don't really understand not renouncing any of those three guys we apparently had no interest in or any chance of signing anyway.  To me, it signals a lack of direction from the FO again.  But, we'll see what happens come the 7th, because I have to believe there's more to this than what has transpired thus far.  Outside of Batum, it just doesn't make much sense right now.

4 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

Nah, as i've stated elsewhere, i felt Batum had to be our #1 priority.  So, that would've been move #1 for me.  But, if that was 1A, 1B would've been getting one of those top-tier bigs (Whiteside, Howard, Noah).  Then Marvin would've been a concern after those two things were done first.  Without upgrading the big, bringing back a role player like Marvin is meaningless.  Furthermore, as much as I admire him as a human being, fellow Tarheel, and great teammate with ability to contribute, i would've been weary of giving him a 4 year extension at this point in his career either way.

Instead, we re-signed Batum, which was a must, but then immediately focused on Marvin, while the market dried up at our weakest positions and we lost our 6th man/backup PG and starting SG (which is a bit inconsequential bc MKG and Batum should be on the floor together this season, but still).

I don't really understand not renouncing any of those three guys we apparently had no interest in or any chance of signing anyway.  To me, it signals a lack of direction from the FO again.  But, we'll see what happens come the 7th, because I have to believe there's more to this than what has transpired thus far.  Outside of Batum, it just doesn't make much sense right now.

Trade incomming. You want instant highs dude. 

2 hours ago, bLACKpANTHER said:

What im saying is there are still people available to upgrade our team with over lin lee and al.. dont panic.. we might not be directly linked to these guys in rumors but it is widely known we are looking for a backup PG and Center

Telling proudiddy to not panic is like telling a dog to stop wagging its tail.

5 minutes ago, chknwing said:

The NBA is becoming positionless.  The need for a true center may not be as important as  you think.  Frank can bang down low.  He showed that last season.

I just used the traditional terms, but my point being we needed someone capable of playing in the post, but all of the guys in this FA class capable of such happen to also be among the best athletes at the position.  Their versatility, and most importantly, their ability to provide some defensive presence and form of rim protection, while also being somewhat competent offensively is the main piece we were missing last year.  

Clifford was just talking at the half of our SL game earlier and talked a bit about the perception that small ball is a trendy fad, but he said he views it as though they're not actually playing small, often teams go with a smaller 5 but are big 1-4.  So, although i agree with you that positional lines are less important today than they were even 5 years ago,  you still have to have some versatility for matchups you may encounter.

10 minutes ago, The Huddler said:

Telling proudiddy to not panic is like telling a dog to stop wagging its tail.

Lol, great hyperbole.  I'm reasonably discussing things here and yet you're saying I'm panicking.

As i said, I believe there's more coming down the pipeline.  I'm just curious as to what it is and hope it's worth what we passed up.  I feel like we're close, and don't want to miss out on our window to make something happen with this core.

32 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

Lol, great hyperbole.  I'm reasonably discussing things here and yet you're saying I'm panicking.

As i said, I believe there's more coming down the pipeline.  I'm just curious as to what it is and hope it's worth what we passed up.  I feel like we're close, and don't want to miss out on our window to make something happen with this core.

Its all good. I appreciate you as a poster. You seem very tame and its disapointing! Lol

1 hour ago, Proudiddy said:

Nah, as i've stated elsewhere, i felt Batum had to be our #1 priority.  So, that would've been move #1 for me.  But, if that was 1A, 1B would've been getting one of those top-tier bigs (Whiteside, Howard, Noah).  Then Marvin would've been a concern after those two things were done first.  Without upgrading the big, bringing back a role player like Marvin is meaningless.

I agree in theory. Batum is #1, absolutely.. but Noah was always going to NY to be with Rose, while Whiteside wasn't leaving ever leaving southbeach. Dwight seems like Atlanta was his destination all along too.. would it have been great, yeah.. but if we spend time with them and miss out (85% chance IMO) then Marvin goes somewhere else - we are rly sunk..

I thought we had a sliver of a chance with Lin but that sh!t sailed away quickly.. look, we aren't a FA destination until we win more in the playoffs. We have to build through trades and the draft.. im looking for Cho to pull off one of his sneaky good trades (ie. Batum) to nab us one of these big men.

16 minutes ago, bLACKpANTHER said:

I agree in theory. Batum is #1, absolutely.. but Noah was always going to NY to be with Rose, while Whiteside wasn't leaving ever leaving southbeach. Dwight seems like Atlanta was his destination all along too.. would it have been great, yeah.. but if we spend time with them and miss out (85% chance IMO) then Marvin goes somewhere else - we are rly sunk..

I thought we had a sliver of a chance with Lin but that sh!t sailed away quickly.. look, we aren't a FA destination until we win more in the playoffs. We have to build through trades and the draft.. im looking for Cho to pull off one of his sneaky good trades (ie. Batum) to nab us one of these big men.

If only we kept that Biz guy here and had an inside track on him :).

I think a lineup of Kemba-Batum-MKG-Frank-Biz would actually be pretty good.   

Archived