• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

KK still in negotiations

Crazydounut

8 minutes ago, Crazydounut said:

If there was one thing I didn't like about letting Josh go. This was definetly it, KK has all the cards in negotiations currently. We might have to give him the 17 million per that he is asking for

At this stage in his career he has next to no leverage outside of being a good player. He can't really hold out since he's doesn't have enough years to be an unrestricted free agent.

9 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

We still have all of the leverage, KK has very little and knows it.

Sorry, but I couldn't disagree more. When we let Norman walk we basically shouted that we can win without a premiere secondary and that our focus is on the front 7.

Also, the little leverage we had left went out the door when other average teams started handing out $100M to players that are on the same level, if not a step below Short. He knows what the market value is for a DT and knows that he can get it.

The only question is does he want to be the highest paid DT in the league which he can be if he has a repeat performance like last year or does he want a above-average salary and stay with the Panthers?

Just now, Growl said:

Having "the leverage" isn't a magical entity awarding to the side you want "to win."

Kawann is a young, elite player at an enormously significant position and has heard us talk about how much money we intend to throw at him all off season. This is furthered by the fact that players like Aaron Donald and Fletcher Cox are setting a standard which he has a rightful claim to.

Saying "well you can just go play for another team, we're good at DT" isn't leverage-brcause he gladly will and get the money he feels he deserves.

We have him under contract this season, we can easily put the tag on him next season.  We control the next two years of KK's career for a total cap hit of 14.8M or so dollars.

Then, if we were really feeling nasty, we could tag him again, and control him for the next three years for about 31M total, at that point he would be 30 years old....and we would have paid him about half of what Cox was guaranteed over that same time period.

I can promise you, he doesn't want that, and neither does the team, but we could make it happen.

I'm not sure why everyone always talks about contract negotiations like they are always these hostile events.

Also, most business professionals don't look at contracts as black and white as either won or lost. Most of the time you are working together to get to a win/win for both sides. That is the best way to achieve long term success.

We want KK here, and it sounds like he wants to be here.  I put my faith in DG that he will get everything squared away.

1 minute ago, Adb6368 said:

Sorry, but I couldn't disagree more. When we let Norman walk we basically shouted that we can win without a premiere secondary and that our focus is on the front 7.

Also, the little leverage we had left went out the door when other average teams started handing out $100M to players that are on the same level, if not a step below Short. He knows what the market value is for a DT and knows that he can get it.

The only question is does he want to be the highest paid DT in the league which he can be if he has a repeat performance like last year or does he want a above-average salary and stay with the Panthers?

It's the old "he'll stay because were just so awesome" argument. 

3 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

We have him under contract this season, we can easily put the tag on him next season.  We control the next two years of KK's career for a total cap hit of 14.8M or so dollars.

Then, if we were really feeling nasty, we could tag him again, and control him for the next three years for about 31M total, at that point he would be 30 years old....and we would have paid him about half of what Cox was guaranteed over that same time period.

I can promise you, he doesn't want that, and neither does the team, but we could make it happen.

This is leverage. At worst, we will have gotten the best chunk of his career at a very decent price. 

9 minutes ago, Adb6368 said:

He can't hold out = no leverage

10 minutes ago, Adb6368 said:

Sorry, but you don't understand how leverage works in the NFL....at least since the new CBA.

6 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

lol Josh was in the same situation. Tagging a player isn't a magic bean which absolves you from having to pay big money. Tagging a player, especially at a high dollar position like DT, not once, but twice doesn't benefit the team and Kawann and his agent know it, especially after we made a circus about wanting to avoid just such a situation just a few months ago.

2 minutes ago, caatfan said:

This is leverage. At worst, we will have gotten the best chunk of his career at a very decent price. 

Yea, this is leverage. We have all the leverage.

Some Huddlers just don't care to think rationally or logically about the franchise tag.

1 minute ago, Growl said:

lol Josh was in the same situation. Tagging a player isn't a magic bean which absolves you from having to pay big money. Tagging a player, especially at a high dollar position like DT, not once, but twice doesn't benefit the team and Kawann and his agent know it, especially after we made a circus about wanting to avoid just such a situation just a few months ago.

KK and Josh Norman are completely different people. Josh Norman is a diva who had a retarded agent.

He's shown that now moreso than ever.

With KK closer to 30 than most teams would like going into a 2nd contract, the leverage really is in Gettleman's hands. KK can take a fair value 4 year deal or we can keep him under contract with his lower cap number this year, franchise him next year, and let him walk the following year at age 30. And no team will pay him what he wants now at 30. So he really needs to be smart about how he and his agent go about this deal.

Archived