• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam Newton owns part of the UFC I guess

rodeo

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-ufc-goes-for-a-knockout-with-celebrity-investors-in-its-corner-1475200801

Less than three months after being acquired by a major Hollywood talent agency, the UFC is going A-list.

Twenty-three celebrities, including Ben Affleck, Adam Levine and Serena and Venus Williams, are investing in the rapidly expanding sports league, the UFC and its new majority owner WME-IMG said on Thursday.

Bringing on the celebrity investors who can provide promotional muscle for the brutal and fast-growing sport known as mixed martial arts is the most significant business move for the organization since being acquired for $4 billion by WME-IMG and a group of investors in July.

Mr. Emanuel sought out celebrities who could help make the case that the UFC was no longer a niche interest. “I think it’s a mainstream sport now,” he said.

7 minutes ago, Toolbox said:

I think it's a smart investment I just hope cam didn't sink too much into it.

edited in an article with more details. it seems like a very good investment. hopefully it sees him involved in more ways than just sitting in the audience and awkwardly getting shown on camera.

Been watching the UFC since 2006. It's cool to see cam apart of this. Like it's been mentioned the UFC is only been around for like 23 years and the sport of MMA is still in its infancy relatively speaking. This whole transaction is really going to grow the sport. It's a good thing all around. Cam makes a good investment, MMA gets more exposure and this grows. Win for everyone 

Depending on how this stuff is structured, this has the potential to be disastrous in the future.  Rely on celebrity monies and fame.  Cash in on recency bias.  Lose big when the bubble bursts.  I've never believed in the longterm viability of the sport.  Too barbaric for today's sentimentality.  

1 hour ago, Promethean Forerunner said:

I believe the opposite. The sport has plateaued. Too many injuries, PED usage, a new champion every month (no consistency), flooded fight cards with mediocre talent, etc.

They sold it for a reason. The stock is never gonna be this high again.

I'll agree with you on this one. I try to get into UFC and follow it but there's always a new champion, then that new champion gets hurt. Then the next challenger fails a drug test. Round and round it goes.

Archived