• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why not roll Cam out of the pocket to throw?

Jeremy Igo

20 hours ago, iamhubby1 said:

So...because Cam is mobile, you want to limit the amount of field he has to work with? Sounds like a sound plan.

If he is getting blitzed in less than 3secs from the edges everything is being taken away bc escapability  is blocked on the edges and there is not enough time to survey the field and most of the time the players aren't even open...at least with rolling out cam has 3 options throw to open receivers running on that side of field if open, run it himself, throw ball away which will prevent a sack.

Keep in mind he will not roll out on every play but it may keep defense on it toes and by little more time.

21 hours ago, iamhubby1 said:

I am sorry, but I read that twice and still have no idea what you are trying to say. You did not address either the blitz as we were discussing, or rolling Cam out like in the original post.

Olsen good, every other receiver not so much?

What I am saying is that max protection is not working due to Remmers being awful and sending more blitzers to negate the help remmers get..which in tell is giving Cam less receivers...to negate this have to know where the void is left from that blitzer and receiver has to go to that spot, win one on one coverage, or there should be quick outlets to throw to...but we do not have quick receivers..and ginn is 50/50 in catching i think teams are willing to take that chance on ginn...We need better receivers (quick)  at least 1 maybe byrd can be that and yes replacement for Remmers.

2 hours ago, Darvinsun said:

What I am saying is that max protection is not working due to Remmers being awful and sending more blitzers to negate the help remmers get..which in tell is giving Cam less receivers...to negate this have to know where the void is left from that blitzer and receiver has to go to that spot, win one on one coverage, or there should be quick outlets to throw to...but we do not have quick receivers..and ginn is 50/50 in catching i think teams are willing to take that chance on ginn...We need better receivers (quick)  at least 1 maybe byrd can be that and yes replacement for Remmers.

I am all for moving the pocket to one side or the other. Maybe to the edge of the tackle box, but not much more. The more you move the pocket, the tougher it is to maintain it. That would give the Defenses something to think about. But rolling out is just not a sound play Offensively. It limits the amount of field you can work with. Why is that so hard to understand. We have a hard enough time right now with the whole field, why limit the amount you can use?

We max protect, like most teams, to protect your QB. It is up the WRs to help the QB out in those situations. Which is why I hate when Olsen is left in to help protect Cam. He is open every play, well, almost every play.

Philly and Ginn running a crossing route from each slot, on those plays, would be one way I would combat the blitz. But there are lots of things an Offense can do to slow a blitz. The problem is. Defenses are better at blitzing, than Offenses are at attacking it.

I said this during the super bowl. Moving the pocket away from the edge mismatch is an excellent way to counter. It gives Cam more options to tuck the ball and run. It forces LBs or Safeties to spy him to make sure he won't run. It also gives our receivers more time to get open on these slow developing routes. Cam has a strong enough arm to make throws on the run and to the other quarter of the field. For every reason why it won't work, there's a reason why it will. Now if a team has dogs on both edges, then we might have a problem. But that's rare.

2 hours ago, Navy_football said:

I said this during the super bowl. Moving the pocket away from the edge mismatch is an excellent way to counter. It gives Cam more options to tuck the ball and run. It forces LBs or Safeties to spy him to make sure he won't run. It also gives our receivers more time to get open on these slow developing routes. Cam has a strong enough arm to make throws on the run and to the other quarter of the field. For every reason why it won't work, there's a reason why it will. Now if a team has dogs on both edges, then we might have a problem. But that's rare.

The one thing I would disagree with is that teams continue to 'spy' Cam.  It doesn't look like they're doing that this year ...... they are straight up attacking on the snap instead of sitting back & spying. So we're being blitzed to death. Which restricts what Cam can do behind the line (he too often can't even move up in the pocket) & gives him not much longer than 2-2.5 seconds to throw the ball or pull it down & run. Because our WR's can't get separation off the snap & we haven't been able to run the ball well, there's every reason why rolling out won't work on a consistent basis.

1 hour ago, bull123 said:

Then we should be coaching him on that as he would be unstoppable if he could develop this skill

Oh wait...we don't coach we just watch film to correct deficiencies

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

If coaching could fix everything, then I could go out there and do it myself. I know I can't because I have no arm and have the body flexibility of concrete.

Cam strikes me as someone that can do it if he follows through with his mechanics. He's shown signs of that, including the last game. The problem is that those mechanics take time to follow and that's something that's in such short supply. At best, he could have some consistency with 15 yard throws in the run but asking Cam to make Aaron Rodgers throws may be too much. After all, Cam is built differently; I sometimes see him as a Drew Bledsoe that could run fast.

On 11/20/2016 at 1:37 PM, Jeremy Igo said:

Watching Dallas roll Dak out of the pocket to compete passes.

Rolling a QB out from time to time has always been a way to counter QB pressure in the NFL

Why is this never used by the Panthers?

Perhaps cause Shula watched enough to realize when Cam rolls, he rolls to his back shoulder in an attempt to get away when pressured and being 6 & 1/2 feet takes a 15 yard sack every time. You roll him out on purpose and he gets pressured that suddenly becomes a 25 yard sack. 

Edit: but hell its worth a shot. Why not. 

Archived