• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

the panthers lose if that interception return was upheld

frash.exe

that one call had a lot of implications; it meant the chargers were still two scores down and pinned very close to their own endzone, instead of being only 4 points behind (3 if the xp is successful) after a very big defensive play with plenty of time in the game to finish a comeback. the chargers crumbled after that because they aren't an inspired football team. it all goes back to how one or two plays can change the complexity of the game.

this game was a microcosm of panthers history. historically the panthers have been far from a bad team; they've been pretty lucky some seasons and pretty unlucky other seasons. many nfl teams are like this. this year the giants, raiders, dolphins, and lions are the beneficiaries of fortune. the panthers were a very good team last year and were also lucky (so was arizona). it got them a 15-1 season, but if the ball didn't roll our way it would've been more like 12-4. the colts and giants games and both saints games from last year come to mind as games that could easily have gone the other way. i thought today that the panthers might beat the chargers because they don't match up well with us. carolina is probably not the terrible, horrible team everybody makes it out to be but injuries, a misfire 1-3 record out of the starting gate, and a lower sense of morale have regressed the team back to mediocrity. i've suspected that leadership-wise, the panthers have been a very emotionally unstable team. when they get lucky and things go well, it inspires them to play better. that's great, but what's not great is the fact that for the very same reasons, the inverse starts to happen when they lose. i am like 99% sure the thought of "here we go again" played through at least half the roster's minds when that interception return happened and before it got overturned. the panthers need to maintain their confidence and poise even when things are not going well if they want to be more consistent winners. i saw flashes of that last year, but not enough to change the culture apparently.

the learned helplessness needs to change

the shoulder slouching and foot dragging at the first sight of perceived bad luck needs to change

the personality needs to change

Panthers win if Gano made the FG against Broncos

Panthers win against the Vikings if they didn't have that safety and if we had a good blocking RB.

Panthers win against the Falcons if Bene wasn't starting and Bradberry wasn't hurt; not to mention having a healthy stewart yet again.

Panthers win against the Saints if they had healthy corners in Bradberry and Worley.

Panthers win against Tampa if Derek didn't throw that interception; not to mention if Cam was healthy.

Panthers win against the Chiefs if Cam didn't throw that interception, and if Kelvin Benjamin didn't fumble, or if Ron Rivera could manage the time better. 

Panthers win against Oakland if we could've made those conversions/extra points/if Olsen caught that ball

Panthers win against Seattle? Idk, injuries and ron's poo stuff made it impossible.

Lot's of things could go for and against us.

5 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

Panthers win against the Vikings if they didn't have that safety and if we had a good blocking RB.

Panthers win against the Falcons if Bene wasn't starting and Bradberry wasn't hurt; not to mention having a healthy stewart yet again.

Panthers win against the Saints if they had healthy corners in Bradberry and Worley.

Panthers win against Tampa if Derek didn't throw that interception; not to mention if Cam was healthy.

Panthers win against the Chiefs if Cam didn't throw that interception, and if Kelvin Benjamin didn't fumble, or if Ron Rivera could manage the time better. 

Panthers win against Oakland if we could've made those conversions/extra points/if Olsen caught that ball

Panthers win against Seattle? Idk, injuries and ron's poo stuff made it impossible.

injuries are not something the panthers can control. however their attitude and focus can and they need to improve in that area.

6 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

We would have won majority of those games if we had kept Norman & had better OT or 2 TE.

Yeah, two plays changed the 4th quarter and the game outcome.  The Pick6 coming back, and Coleman's INT.  It really felt like we were well on the way to another 4th qtr meltdown....  I really think we would have lost if that pick 6 had not been called back.

As it is, we ONLY have wins against BAD teams with losing records.

Our next 3 games are against teams with winning records... so, I'm not super optimistic.  But our D does deserve credit today for not letting up and really playing with heart.

KK, Mario, Kurt, Worley, AJ Klein all played well.  Colin Jones made a difference on Special Teams..., I'm sure I'm forgetting some guys too....

3 minutes ago, The_Rainmaker said:

We would have won majority of those games if we had kept Norman & had better OT or 2 TE.

this is a horribly simplified and overassuming theory. would having norman and hunter henry and selling the farm or whatever for joe staley change the way games played out? most definitely, but it's in no way guaranteeable for a winning season if the constants (injuries, morale) stay the same. if they do, we're still around 5-8.

pretty fitting that your avatar is trump since his entire campaign was centered around the same logic; simple, armchair solutions to very complex and fluid problems. 

12 minutes ago, frash.exe said:

this is a horribly simplified and overassuming theory. would having norman and hunter henry and selling the farm or whatever for joe staley change the way games played out? most definitely, but it's in no way guaranteeable for a winning season if the constants (injuries, morale) stay the same. if they do, we're still around 5-8.

pretty fitting that your avatar is trump since his entire campaign was centered around the same logic; simple, armchair solutions to very complex and fluid problems. 

History shows that Norman shutsdown or control divison oppents #1 WR.  Like the game winning against the Saints in 2015 or the ones against Tampa.  But this year we lost to those teams on broken coverage and terrible secondary.  

Hunter Henrys production shows that he can play in the NFL and would have made  a winning impact on the offense.

You my friend are leaving in a dream world come back to reality and read little bit of history. 

1 minute ago, The_Rainmaker said:

History shows that Norman shutsdown or control divison oppents #1 WR.  Like the game winning against the Saints in 2015 or the ones against Tampa.  But this year we lost to those teams on broken coverage and terrible secondary.  

Hunter Henrys production shows that he can play in the NFL and would have made winning impact on the offense.

You my friend are leaving in a dream world come back to reality and read little bit of history. 

hunter henry barely has over 400 receiving yards and a concussion in 2016

he sounds like he already plays for the panthers

They finished a game well, Ron was Riverboat again and Olsen is almost assured 1000 yards after today. 

Why all the negativity? Our defense played well without Kuechly and Johnson, 2 captains. Our O line was pretty good in pass protection. Cam ran for his third highest number of attempts. Stewart is still healthy. Funchess was very good today after leaving hurt early. It was a great day. Even the sprinkles held off until the end of the game.

After some of our losses this year it was a great game and none of the Debbie downers are going to faze me right now.

3 minutes ago, frash.exe said:

hunter henry barely has over 400 receiving yards and a concussion in 2016

he sounds like he already plays for the panthers

whoa, he totally does.  i hadn't bothered to check his stats but based on the way people have been talking about him i thought he had like 700-800 yards and five or so TDs.

Just now, The NFL Shield At Midfield said:

whoa, he totally does.  i hadn't bothered to check his stats but based on the way people have been talking about him i thought he had like 700-800 yards and five or so TDs.

yeap...

meanwhile therainmaker just watched him light up the scoreboard with two receptions for 13 yards and a touchdown (basically joseph fauria numbers) and is acting like he is kellen winslow sr reincarnate

Archived