• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2017 Panthers Mock Draft 2.0 (Rounds 1-3) - Panthers Steal A Player In The Third Round

Saca312

Read my first mock draft here:

The Panthers, 6-10 this year, have ended on a disappointing note. Every Panther fan would agree that this season was a huge let-down after an unbelievable 15-1 run last year. However, there are positives that can come out of seasons like this, such as high draft picks and healing/resting up. This will be vital in order for the Panthers to prove they're contenders next year.

As usual, fans everywhere are mocking who they think their team will snag in the draft. With nothing else to do in the offseason, fans resort to guessing - and hoping - their team picks their favorite players that they believe will bolster their team to success.

2015_carolina_panthers_wallpaper_by_jb_online-d9dhknn.png  

Before we start talking draft, here are a few key free agent moves that must occur for the below draft - and even my prior draft - to be most effective in the BPA ideology. Here's a snippet of what should occur:

Free Agency Moves That Must Occur Prior to the Draft:

• 1-2 Strong Safety Starter Possibilities; 1 for sure starter
  • Left Tackle Depth
  • Minimum 1 Vet DE possibility
  • All Our Key Guys Resigned

This would allow for true BPA, and provide insurance in case a prospect we like isn't on the board; many mocks predict Hooker and Jamal Adams to be gone before us. 

Without further ado, I will be contributing to the masses with my own view of a few mock drafts, and with this second edition, I hereby give you 3 other prospects the Panthers could hit on:

Round 1 Pick 8 - RB Leonard Fournette

You know what? I just recently decided to snoop around, and look at some highlights of Leonard Fournette. I was on the "heck no" bandwagon a few weeks prior, just assuming that RBs are far too risky for the NFL - especially with Fournette's injury concerns - but I realized that he's really one amazing talent.

One of the reasons I was so low on him is because of LSU's o-line. Two months ago, LSU was rated college football's #1 o-line in the league. They're lead by a stout interior line, and their run game has definitely benefited from it. It reminds me of Trent Richardson's situation - coming from a great o-line and scheme - which is why I was a bit weary.

However, I realized that the Panthers pretty much would have one of the best interiors in the league too when healthy, with C Kalil, RG Turner, and LG Norwell leading the way. Michael Oher at LT and Daryl Williams at RT would also make this a solid starting unit. This would probably help Fournette not lose too much of a step in the league if he joins us. Not only that, but reading up on LSU's offensive scheme made me realize that they pretty much don't have a good one -pretty just rely on Fournette. 

That makes me a bit more comfortable with him now.

Assuming we have safety locked up with a good free-agent signing, I truly think Fournette is BPA. Even with the risk of RBs coming from top-tier offensive lines, I realize there wouldn't be much of a drop between LSU's and the Panthers, and he'd be able to shine. If that's the case, then I agree he must be taken.

Fournette is a freak -- to say the least. He's the definition of a game-changing runningback. He's got extreme burst, power, speed; basically everything an all-pro runningback will have. Here's a good list of strengths walterfootball has put together:

Strengths:

• Explosive
  • Elusive; has moves in the open field to dodge blockers
  • Fast; can break off long touchdown runs
  • Threat to score on any carry
  • Rare acceleration
  • Tough, physical runner
  • Power back who can run over defenders
  • Excellent vision
  • Great feet
  • Cutting ability
  • Can return kicks
  • Ideal build and size
  • Gets lots of yards after contact
  • Finishes runs well
  • Ideal build and size
  • Burst to the hole
  • Has great straight-line speed to pull away from defenders
  • Shiftiness; will juke defenders
  • Nice hands
  • Receiving ability
  • Willing blocker in blitz pickup with potential to be very good
  • Hard-nosed runner between the tackles
  • Has a nose for the end zone
  • Wears down defenses
  • Excellent knee bend
  • Runs behind his pads
  • Runs well in the second half
  • Perfect fit for a zone-blocking system
  • Perfect fit for a man-blocking system
  • Intimidates defenses
  • Ball security
  • Plays injured
  • Kick return skills
  • Solid character

He's been considered the best back since Adrian Peterson since high school, and he's been living up to the hype. He's an unbelievable talent in this loaded class of runningbacks. 

Fournette is very fast with a burst to hole and a second gear in the open field to take the ball the distance. He has rare acceleration and takes away angles from defenders with speed. While Fournette is a fast back, he also is a power back who can run through tackles and bulldoze defenders trying to tackle him. Fournette is very tough to stop in short-yardage situations and on the goal line. He has a perfect combination of speed and power. 

On top of having a great combination of size, power and speed, Fournette is elusive in the open field. He has excellent feet, vision, patience and balance. Fournette uses that combination of all those to spin away from defenders, weave around them, and cut through small openings to pick up more yards. Fournette has a superb ability to run while bending at the knee, which allows him to run behind his pads and helps him to bounce off tacklers. Many backs his size have a tendency to run too upright, but Fournette is very good to bend until he gets in the open field and turns on the afterburners. 

He'd easily become a franchise runningback for any team, and he's considered a much better prospect than guys like Todd Gurley and Ezekiel Elliott. Even with him playing injured this year, he's been insanely productive. He's obviously a step-down from his sophomore season with his injury, but he's still better than most runningbacks even at 70%.

He's a standout player in his class, and here's some of his many, many attributes.

1. He's Got Insane Speed For A Guy His Size

Leonard Fournette TD 2 against Eastern Michigan

He's big, powerful, and really fast. He hits that high speed in almost instantaneous motion. He takes a smooth turn to the left, then curves and bursts through the field for an easy looking touchdown. He's got the speed that puts defenders on their heels, trying in vain to catch-up.

This is the type of speed that's rare to see in any runningback. He's got unreal skill and ability to completely breakout for a touchdown on nearly any touchdown. 

He's a dangerous, speedy runner. He's one heck of a talent.

2. He's Powerful, Big, and Strong

Leonard Fournette wrecking Auburn's defense

Did I mention that Fournette is 6'1, 230 lbs?

Well, this gif shows off that unbelievable build.

He comes in on a running play, slams hard into a defender, and somehow snags the first down. He should've been tackled midway by that defender, but his unbelievable power and strength allows him to easily snag a hard-earned gain.

He grinds his legs, not willing to let anyone bring him down easily. He plays with an aggressive and assertive style, unwilling to let anything hinder him from his path. He's a true powerback, and he's one heck of a talent.

3. He's Elusive, Powerful, And Breaks Tackles

Leonard Fournette running over Auburn

In this play, he should've been tackled for a loss.

Instead, he turns this into a first down.

He does this subtle move that throws off the defender off his tail, breaks away with speed, then breaks off plenty of tackles and gains a first down and more from a 1st and 16.

He's just got unbelievable traits of power, speed, and elusiveness. He's got rare talent with how the combination of these traits operate, and he's just amazing at what he does. He can turn plays from nothing to amazing, and he's one heck of a talent.

Extra: He makes touchdowns like J-Stew

Leonard Fournette 1st touchdown against Miss State

Leonard Fournette touchdown 3 against Auburn

Jumps over lineman like J-Stew

He's one heck of a talent.

How Does He Fit on the Panthers?

It's pretty obvious - to become the heir of Jonathan Stewart

First of all, he'll easily slip in a role as a switch-up back for J-Stew on plays and keep Stew's legs fresh. He's a nice player to pair with Stewart, and he'd probably even engage in a lead role for most plays.

He's a tough power runner, he's got unbelievable speed, and he's a fantastic pass-blocker. He's a once in a generation talent at this point, and he'd be an instant upgrade in the run-game. He can also be a factor in the receiving game, and he's just an amazing talent.

If J-Stew were to get injured again, we'd have a competent backup ready to help lead the reins. We won't have to worry about o-line deficiencies/running with him on the field. He'd be an instant upgrade - and obvious heir - for the runningback sector of the depth chart.

Alternates: DE Derek Barnett, S Jamal Adams

Round 2 Pick 39 - TE David Njoku

Even if O.J. Howard is still on the board, I believe Njoku has the highest ceiling of every TE of this draft.

TE David Njoku is a fantastic TE of the Miami Hurricanes. He's a big, athletic guy who has a bit of a burst to him. He's a converted WR to TE, and he's been a really productive TE for the canes. Despite only starting recently in the college season, and splitting time with TE Chris Herndon, he's been really productive. Not only that, but he's currently 6'4 and 245 lbs (He came out of high school at 217 pounds; he's only a sophomore in college right now).

He's been real good with what chances he's been given. He has great catching ability, and is a decent pass blocker. He's got a ton of potential, and learning from one of the league's best former canes in Olsen would be most beneficial in his development. What separates him from everyone is his ability to get separation and YAC. He's perhaps one of the best in college with that ability, and he's got good speed to it. The issue with this is his tendency with wanting to run before the catch, but with proper coaching he'll be an unbelievable monster. I truly believe he might be one of the gems Gettleman would just love - physical and talent potential - and I think we just might as well hit on him if we can. 

Why do I like him so much to warrant this high of a pick? Here's some tape:

1. He's Extremely Athletic - Like Extremely

giphy.gif

You probably know what I'm gonna compare this play to.

Image result for cam newton gif flip

Yep. 

Anyhow, Njoku is a 6'4 athletic player still growing into his body. He's got insane athleticism for his position, and his gift is really shown in the GIF

giphy-downsized-large.gif

He goes completely airborne over a defender after getting some nice running room, and flips his way into the endzone. He has unbelievable hops; he was his high school's jumping champion with a 6ft. 11in. jump. He shows amazing athleticism and speed in this play, and just scrambles his way into the endzone.

He's a great prospect and threat with his athletic traits. He's essentially a lot like Cam Newton - in a sense - with how amazing his athletic ability is. Coupled with his great hands, running ability, and jump height, he looks like a prospect just on the verge of breaking out.

Did I mention he's still growing into his frame? 

2. He's A Physical Body - Tough Catcher

giphy.gif

In this highlight, Njoku catches the ball, then bounces off about 3 defenders before finally being brought down. He shows great physicality and strength; being able to stand up in the barrage of hits. He's got good hands, and he ensures he has the ball in his hand before finally being brought down. 

He's a pretty physical threat, and yet again he's still not fully developed in his frame yet.

That's a pretty big deal indeed.

3. He's Got Dangerous YAC Ability

giphy.gif

Not only is he physical and athletic, he's quite fast too.

In this highlight, Njoku just absolutely toasts this defense and turns his catch into a huge gain. He's able to run after catching for quite the distance, and get into the red-zone. He's consistently made plays like this throughout his breakout sophomore campaign, but he's truly a good prospect.

If he's able to hinder his tendency to run before the catch, he could become a legit monster in the NFL. Due to the fact he's a sophomore heading in to the NFL draft, he has a high ceiling.

These kind of plays just express how much of a play-maker he truly is.

Everyone knows we don't really have a solid 2nd TE; and have no one behind Greg Olsen.

Enter in David Njoku.

A solid TE with a ton of upside, Njoku would be able to hone on his abilities and learn from behind one of the greatest TEs in the game. He'll be able to play along side him as a 2nd TE option for Cam, and become another option as a reliable, 3rd down catcher. He'll also be an upgrade in the blocking game, and he has a ton of potential as a fantastic receiver to pair with Cam.

If Greg Olsen were to ever get hurt (God forbid), he'd be able to easily fill in his role as a reliable catcher. He's able to make the catches on the fast ball, and exploit any defensive coverage necessary. He'll play like a #1 TE if necessary, and with his upside I would not be surprised to see this.

Alternates: RB D'onta Foreman, TE O.J. Howard, DE Solomon Thomas

Round 3 Pick 71 - DE Carl Lawson

Yes, I'm calling it now. Carl Lawson will fall all the way to the 3rd round, and we'll snag him.

According to this mock draft, Carl Lawson will even be available by our 90th pick (3rd round compensatory), so I think using our earlier 3rd round pick is warranted. He's easily a talented DE we can acquire, and if he remains healthy, he'd be able to provide great value for his slot.

Now, the main reason I think he'll likely fall is due to his injury issues, but otherwise he'd be a first rounder in another draft year.

In this deep class of DEs, Carl Lawson is looking like a gem at this pick in the 3rd round. He's got great size, ability, and pass rushing skills to make an impact. He's a fantastic talent that has even challenged the likes of Laremy Tunsil - at his natural position - and got some sacks off him. He's a great talent with a high risk. His blinding speed off the edge, coupled with his quick first step, makes him a blinding threat in the NFL. He's great in run support, and he's shown to have progressed in his pass rushing ability.

The real issue with him is whether or not he can remain healthy. Otherwise, he's easily a first round talent.

Here's why he'd be a steal:

1. He's Got Great Football IQ

Image result for carl lawson gifs

DE Carl Lawson is able to sniff out this QB run play and make a great play. Preventing the QB from running, while accounting what the RB was going to do, showed up to be a great play. He shows off great football IQ in this play, and shows his ability to read out an offensive play. Ensuring that he was in position to make a play wherever the ball went showed carefulness in crafting a great plan to stop the player.

He's a great player, and he's shown great football intelligence.

2. He's Powerful And Fast

sI2Bw.gif

CarlLawson4

In the top gif, Lawson comes in and just lays down one of Bama's prized tackles. He pretty much decimates and extinguishes his soul while making a play on the QB. The QB was lucky enough to have a horseshoe super-glued to his chest - like Aaron Rodgers' and his luck with hail-marys - to prevent a huge sack on 3rd and 12. 

In the below gif, he completely bulldozes this tackle and provides adequate pressure to the quarterback, forcing him to move and crippling the pocket

Lawson shows absolute monstrous traits in how he bulldozes this tackle to the ground and makes a play.

He's got amazing potential with how much of a monster he appears to be.

3. He's Got Speed And Pass-Rushing Ability

CarlLawson7_vwqgyf.gif

CarlLawson6

In the top gif, he just engages with an absolute speed rush attack and demolishes his tackle for a sack. He makes a play on the QB with his pass rush, and beats his man one-on-one.

In the below gif, he goes up against Tunsil. First, Lawson starts with a bull rush, engages, then counters with a swim move and forces the ball out of the quarterback’s hands. He forces the QB to have less time, and the QB was lucky enough to make a play out of this sure sack.

He shows monstrous speed and pass-rushing ability, and shows great intelligence in his moves. If it weren't for his awful luck with injuries, he's easily a first round prospect.

The following article really highlights how much potential he has:

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/carl-lawson-the-pass-rushing-enigma

The Panthers have a decent need at DE. With aging veterans and lack of production from the current youth, the Panthers are in desperate need to find some sort of DE that can play every down in the future.

Enter in DE Carl Lawson

With a rookie season being brought into the Panthers' DE rotation, he'll be able to get some good reps while trying to get healthy. He'll provide first round level pass rushing ability and skill, and be great as a dominant DE. With time, I can see him becoming an every down DE as the Panthers gain confidence in his health. 

His ability as a dominant pass rusher is something the Panthers desperately need at DE, and with time he'd be able to fill the hole of finding an every down caliber dominant DE. 

Alternate: TE Jordan Leggett

Amazing write up.

The sheer amount of time spent is praise worthy.

Also, I hope you end up being right.

This would be, pretty much, and Ideal offseason.

I realize that you were intentionally vague with free agency and I agree with doing so for these purposes.

The only addition I have is that I think a trade up in the 2nd is likely. Impossible to mock, so no detriment intended...

Really nice work

Sent from my SM-G930P using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

great work OP! never considered that TE but he seems like a great prospect.

I still really want to use one of our first three picks on a speedster/fantastic route runner at WR or a SS prospect. 

But DE is a definite need and needs to be up on our list 

4 minutes ago, beastson said:

Just a mention

Panthers need to look for a kicker deep in this draft or off-season. Gano needs to be cut period.

Watching Matt Prater kick with such strength, confidence, and authority last night was a STARK difference to what we currently have.

For the love of Pete just AVOID Florida State kickers!!!!!!!

Injury history?

In that case, why aren't you picking Fournette in the 2nd round?

As long as a player is completely healthy at the combine and/or his Pro Day, I don't think pro scouts are seriously worried about "injury history" except, maybe, in the case of multiple ligament injuries.  Lawson doesn't have that problem.

Which is to say that I don't think there's a chance in heck that he drops out of the first 2 rounds.  ESPECIALLY when he checks out healthy and shows out as the physical freak he is at the combine.

3 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

Injury history?

In that case, why aren't you picking Fournette in the 2nd round?

As long as a player is completely healthy at the combine and/or his Pro Day, I don't think pro scouts are seriously worried about "injury history" except, maybe, in the case of multiple ligament injuries.  Lawson doesn't have that problem.

Which is to say that I don't think there's a chance in heck that he drops out of the first 2 rounds.  ESPECIALLY when he checks out healthy and shows out as the physical freak he is at the combine.

Fournette survived this whole season with an ankle injury and still played well. Lawson didn't appear to survive a whole season in college.

He missed out an entire year due to a knee injury, and he seems to not survive a full season of football.

He does have some work to do with pass-rushing moves, but he's more complete than not.

If he does show up at the combine, he won't sniff the third round. Don't be surprised to see him drop far though.

9 minutes ago, beastson said:

Just a mention

Panthers need to look for a kicker deep in this draft or off-season. Gano needs to be cut period.

Here's a look at Walter Football's kicker list.  I won't pretend to have a favorite but being that we pick 8 every round we will have some great choices.  The Auburn guy sounds like a horse.  Make it happen GMan.  http://walterfootball.com/draft2017K.php

Archived