• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bo Jackson says Cam's blows to the head "scare the hell out of me"

truthjuice

It isn't a terrible idea, in fact if the NFL refs weren't a bunch of old blind geezers who have no business on a NFL field it would be a great idea. But given who the refs are I wouldn't want to give them that power or rely on their judgement for it.

Sent from my XT1254 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

That's what makes it so sad like why do they keep people who can't do their job like there should be like some kind of clause in their contract swear if they are not producing or doing a good job they should be terminated and they shouldn't get any lead way because these are people's lives we are talking about these are not play toys these are human beings

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

1 hour ago, dardarroarroar said:

That's what makes it so sad like why do they keep people who can't do their job like there should be like some kind of clause in their contract swear if they are not producing or doing a good job they should be terminated and they shouldn't get any lead way because these are people's lives we are talking about these are not play toys these are human beings

Because they have a union.

And the very design of MODERN unions is to protect the jobs of their most incompetent members.

Because they have a union.

And the very design of MODERN unions is to protect the jobs of their most incompetent members.

You know how your parents always say things will make more sense when you become an adult they lie so bad that was a lie in fact more things make less and less sense now that I've gotten older and this applies to everything including this

7 hours ago, w280sax said:

Should the nfl adopt a rule like targeting in college. Maybe not quite as strict but some hits should lead to automatic ejection. I dont think a 15 yd penalty and a small fine is enough for these head shots.

I would say obj on norman should have. Some of burficts hits. Honestly, i think darien stewarts hit on cam this year was flagrant.

On the one hand i sorta feel they should but i also dont trust the refs to enforce it fairly at all.

Curious what others think on that.

Sent from my SM-T710 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

I have said it a million times.  Have something similar to college AND soccer with a yellow/red card deal.

First hit is a yellow and 15 yards. Second is another 15 and a red and ejection AND you sit the next game. This eliminates targeting for only 15 and also avoids a zero tolerance fiasco where one call doesn't throw a guy out. This is measured and practical. 

I have said it a million times.  Have something similar to college AND soccer with a yellow/red card deal.

First hit is a yellow and 15 yards. Second is another 15 and a red and ejection AND you sit the next game. This eliminates targeting for only 15 and also avoids a zero tolerance fiasco where one call doesn't throw a guy out. This is measured and practical. 

Ditto. Makes too much sense though.

10 minutes ago, Hammerin'Cameron1 said:

Tearing a ligament or breaking a leg is way more of a problem than a concussion

In terms of earning potential, sure. But I've done all 3 and concussions are by far the most detrimental to quality of life.

It wouldn't shock me to see Cam, or any of today's younger players who have seen the that the effects of multiple concussions, retire early.  I honestly think it would take some younger star players to hang it up early to get the NFL to seriously do something about protecting players.  

1 hour ago, raleigh-panther said:

The NFL needs to follow college, targeting = an immediate ejection

i would add for pro players, first offense, 4 game checks, second 8 game checks, 3rd indefinite suspension without pay, minimum one year

that will stop it,  until the NFL does this, it is all bull poo about CTE 

It starts with the officials though. They have allowed it on certain players, so it's cool. Until THEY start suffering consequences more than missing the playoffs, I don't see much changing. Even implementing rules like the ejection for targeting and fines won't do much because you still have incompetent refs who will pick and choose. A player they obviously don't care for like a Cam, I'm sure they'll conveniently miss it. Why? It doesn't really affect them. They need to suffer some type of punishment that's heavier than a change in grade or missing the playoffs. 

I can see why some players would call it a career knowing the risks/long term effects of concussions.

I can also see why some players keep going, it's difficult to face something that you have no control over. Especially with guys who are so competitive, and don't want to let their teammates down.

As far as the NFL goes, the costs of concussions, both in a literal sense, and a loss of revenue are eventually going to bite the league in the ass really hard. Especially considering the clear lack of addressing/resolving situations where it's clear there is headhunting, like with Cam Newton, but the officiating isn't lining up. It reminds me of a memorable line from The Wolf of Wall Street, "One of these days the chickens are going to come home to roost". The NFL is going to lose, and lose really big for their actions, not a matter of if, but when.

I've been a Panther fan long enough to expect refs to screw us but at least they would throw the flag if they roughed Jake up.

This is blatant. I saw a QB get a roughing call for hands slapping (not grabbing) his face mask. The NFL officials fix outcomes. It's the only way they know how to CONTROL Cam's game. The NFL and Vegas have their backs though. 

The public is doing the only thing they can do, which is not watching.

49 minutes ago, TheRed said:

I can see why some players would call it a career knowing the risks/long term effects of concussions.

Barry Sanders all the way. Probably the greatest RB the NFL had ever had. He looks like a genius. Cam's comments really bothered me because if they have stopped protecting his right to play QB in the pocket without protection, why play? He's not getting popped as a runner, we know that.

1 hour ago, truthjuice said:

It starts with the officials though. They have allowed it on certain players, so it's cool. Until THEY start suffering consequences more than missing the playoffs, I don't see much changing. Even implementing rules like the ejection for targeting and fines won't do much because you still have incompetent refs who will pick and choose. A player they obviously don't care for like a Cam, I'm sure they'll conveniently miss it. Why? It doesn't really affect them. They need to suffer some type of punishment that's heavier than a change in grade or missing the playoffs. 

The officials work for the Nfl and they act on the rule book 

make the rule book simple. No head shots. End of story 

Archived