• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Better Prospect: Fournette vs. Elliott?

Wundrbread33

I will humbly admit that my college football knowledge has slipped over the past few years, and I pretty much just keep up with Mizzou and the top bowl games.

I was quite familiar with Elliott because of how close he was to being a Mizzou Tiger...only to rip my heart out to head to OSU, but my knowledge on Fournette, aside from what I read and highlights, is rather weak.

What made Elliott so special was his "complete-ness." He really doesn't have a weakness. Honestly he is above-average to elite at all facets of being a back: solid size, physical, agile, vision, soft hands out of the backfield, blocking ability, and just enough speed.

How does Fournette compare as a prospect?

Here's what i've got so far from some reading and highlights: Fournette is about physicality and power. Seems to be a one cut, downhill guy (not a bad thing), with ability to run away from the defense at the second level. Based on some of his runs, 4.3 doesn't seem out of the question. He seems to get poor marks on his hands, but I can't tell if that is due to LSU not utilizing him that way, or if he actually has so-so hands. How is he in blitz pickup? Obviously people don't make "blitz pickup" mixtapes.

What got me interested in diving deeper was hearing how "meh" Mel Kiper seemed on First Take when asked about Fournette, or rather, taking any back in the first round, even though he had no issue with Elliott last year (who wouldn't have an issue in hindsight though...).

Piper's attitude contrasted many analysts that see Fournette as the best prospect since AP, so that motivated this post, and the quest for more in-depth knowledge from any college football/SEC/LSU experts that we have here at The Huddle.

TL;DR: Who would you grade as the better prospect: Fournette or Elliott?; and for what reasons?

Thanks guys/gals.

Fournette's a freak; He combines all the great traits of a runningback. The only issue is his injury concerns. Otherwise, he's a pretty safe pick.

I truly think if he's available, and a guy like Allen isn't available/SS is shored up via FA, I think Fournette is our BPA.

Here's a good reference:

https://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2017lfournette.php

Strengths:

• Explosive
  • Elusive; has moves in the open field to dodge blockers
  • Fast; can break off long touchdown runs
  • Threat to score on any carry
  • Rare acceleration
  • Tough, physical runner
  • Power back who can run over defenders
  • Excellent vision
  • Great feet
  • Cutting ability
  • Can return kicks
  • Ideal build and size
  • Gets lots of yards after contact
  • Finishes runs well
  • Ideal build and size
  • Burst to the hole
  • Has great straight-line speed to pull away from defenders
  • Shiftiness; will juke defenders
  • Nice hands
  • Receiving ability
  • Willing blocker in blitz pickup with potential to be very good
  • Hard-nosed runner between the tackles
  • Has a nose for the end zone
  • Wears down defenses
  • Excellent knee bend
  • Runs behind his pads
  • Runs well in the second half
  • Perfect fit for a zone-blocking system
  • Perfect fit for a man-blocking system
  • Intimidates defenses
  • Ball security
  • Plays injured
  • Kick return skills
  • Solid character

•  

Weaknesses:

• Durability

16 minutes ago, Wundrbread33 said:

Guys I don't mean this to come off the wrong way, but one sentence answers just saying that Fournette is better is not what I was looking for.

Thanks @Saca312 for giving further depth in your response.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000769553/article/ask-5-which-rb-do-you-prefer-ezekiel-elliott-or-fournette%3FnetworkId%3D4595%26site%3D.news%26zone%3Dstory%26zoneUrl%3Durl%3Dstory%26zoneKeys%3Ds1%3Dstory%26env%3D%26pageKeyValues%3Dprtnr%3Dcollege-football%3Bplyr%3Dadrian_peterson%3Bplyr%3Dezekiel_elliott%26p.ct%3DCFB%2B24%2F7%26p.adsm%3Dfalse%26p.tcm%3D%23ffffff%26p.bgc1m%3D%23000000%26sr%3Damp?client=safari

Elliott is also a douche from all indications.  Advantage Fournette.

1 minute ago, 2jakefansinva said:

Well, of all his great abilities if his weaknesses are durability and availability......I want nothing to do with him.

The dude plays hurt a lot. I am not even one of the Fournette fanboys on here but the dude is a beast and I wouldn't be mad about him. He has played through numerous injuries in his career and saying you wouldn't take a player based on injury concerns is somewhat silly. I mean I hear what you are saying, but AJ Green and Julio Jones also have injury issues and anyone would be nuts not to go after them haha

3 minutes ago, 2jakefansinva said:

Well, of all his great abilities if his weaknesses are durability and availability......I want nothing to do with him.

He played through 7 games with a high ankle injury -  a serious one.

If that doesn't say anything about his heart and toughness...

You just dont pass on the best RB prospect since Adrian Peterson. I dont see how you could pass up the opportunity to have a player who can transform your offense even further. 

Fournette was and is a better prospect than Elliott. However, at the moment, Elliot is a top 3 RB in the NFL right now. 

Hard to give a prospect an advantage over a proven commodity.

Archived