• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL Draft Film Analysis & Breakdown: Leonard Fournette

Saca312

With the NFL Draft coming up soon, fans are sitting in huge anticipation in hopes their team will find the next NFL superstar. Scouts and NFL teams will be frantically seeking out the prime of the draft before draft day in hopes of landing gold. Every aspect of every draft-able player will be reviewed, analyzed, and criticized.

It's the off-season, after all.

So, considering that, I decided that I would attempt at analyzing a player through what's available via the internet. Considering Leonard Fournette is arguably a favorite as the Panthers pick, I decided to see for myself what makes him special, and what he could improve on.

I've learned a lot from this, and still think he would be a great fit for the Panthers and not a waste of an 8th pick. The film I'm watching reveals why a lot of teams ahead of the Panthers could arguably decide to pass on Fournette in favor of a more sure player that'll likely be availa

Sure? Isn't Fournette the best thing since Adrian Peterson? 

Debatable. You look at highlights and you'll see that. I originally thought so too, and I still think he'll be a great back. However, looking at full game film reveals a lot of the good and a bit of the bad. It's what happens to all backs.

I'll be extra critical of Fournette in this segment, but don't let that make you leave thinking he's not special. He's one of the best backs from the draft, and I still wouldn't complain taking him 8th overall. I think he fits perfectly in our system more-so than anyone ahead of us, which makes me excited about us grabbing him.

So with that, here's a taste of what Fournette is.

Gama Analyzed: LSU vs Wisconsin

Why this game? This game is touted as one that best shows the complete Fournette. It highlights his strengths and weaknesses. I will be breaking down some plays specifically from this game.

The LSU vs Wisconsin game brought about a full rotational view of Fournette's strong and bad side. This arguably is the most balanced film on him, and shows what he's consistently good at, and what he needs work on. 

The Issues:

Film - 0:04

giphy.gif

At first glance, you'd think it was a decent play. He was able to gain yards, and it does appear like a normal play.

However, further analysis showcases something even more.

In this toss play, the o-line is effectively penetrated well on the inside by Wisconsin. They're able to get some push on the inside against the o-line men, and the fullback was forced to adjust and block in the backfield to adjust for a guy attempting to block.

DB2.PNG

Now, the issue is really where Leonard Fournette decides to change his direction and how he does it. As seen below, he's about a yard away from his linemen when he makes his first cut; pretty close. He appears to be heading towards the outside, but notices that there's a safety up top and some penetration down the middle, so he goes for what he sees.

Capture.PNG

Now, the issue comes when that hole begins closing up fast. He effectively has to take 2 small steps to cover the distance between his linemen and the defense, closing the gap and hole at a rapid pace. Then, he makes a small move in hopes of making something out of the collapsing play.

DB3.PNG

The result? Leonard Fournette loses his balance and was forced to leap forward.

The issue really is Fournette's limited ability at cutting near the line of scrimmage. He's been rather inconsistent in that area his whole career. Now one could argue his ankle injury this game limited him, but this isn't exactly a new issue either.

His feet and balance fail him on this play, and although he does get a gain, he could've probably done more.

Was this good vision based on what was happening? Yes. But was he able to make the move to make this a good move? Not really.

He lost his balance, and was forced to leap forward rather than use his feet to change direction. Now, he's certainly a good runningback and great at changing direction, it's just not his forte. He will not make the greatest of cuts at the line of scrimmage when faced with a situation such as above.

This play turned out decent, but his flaws were exposed. He won't make the best of jump cuts and changes. He's mediocre in that area.

However, that doesn't mean he's bad at changing direction. Check out this play:

Film - 1:24

giphy.gif

On this downhill run, Fournette runs on an off-tackle and was able to get a decent run in. You'll notice a linemen was able to get some penetration and Fournette successfully avoids that. He shows good turn of hips and technique and makes the good decision to run to the outside for a good gain.

DB4.PNG

He shows more of a fluid cut rather than a hard-plant jump cut. This is more his forte rather than being forced to cut near defenders. 

His hips look good and he doesn't do anything wrong. It's a good cut and something that avoided a costly situation. Sure, he may not be the most elusive and best of cutters, but he still gets results.

However, he really just doesn't look special in that area from what I'm watching in this game sadly. I really do want to give credit to the fact his ankle was recently injured, but I do think it's a lingering problem that arguably may bring down his stock.

Check out these other plays:

Film - 3:08

giphy.gif

The issue really comes when he is forced to make plays in the backfield when the defense gets penetration near the line of scrimmage. He's forced to attempt to cut early and avoid the defender, but fails to do so. He doesn't show the slashing and cutting ability of backs like Freeman or even Peterson. You can argue his ankle as the problem, but that just comes off as a lazy excuse in my opinion.

giphy.gif

Sure, he can make good changes of direction and force a defense to submit. He's not bad at all in that area as is evidenced by some of his runs.

He's just not that great at those hard lateral cuts that come out real wide. Again, looking at the play above again, you'll notice that he attempts a cut that does allow him to bend but not by much. He's just not that elusive hard cutting back you see from zone runningbacks. He's just not the best at cutting near the line just yet.

His hips just don't seem to be capable of being elusive as that near the line of scrimmage. He won't be making the big cuts when he's forced to do it too close to defenders.

Looking at another segment, he showcases why he's just not an elusive back yet again.

Film - 3:51

giphy.gif

He doesn't make a hard enough cut and takes a rather weak angle, forcing to make another cut as he comes to the line of scrimmage. Guys like Dalvin Cook and Joe Mixon are able to easily make the hard cut, but Fournette isn't able to. He then follows up by spinning in place for a rather weak gain as a defender wraps him up.

This further proves why he won't be your elusive, slashing runningback. This does, imho, lower him in a tier less than Adrian Peterson. If he's not able to consistently make these moves, he's just not on that level just yet.

Now, he has shown his ability to somewhat do a lateral cut/hurdle on some plays. Here's a stretch:

Film 6:03

giphy.gif

He makes a cute attempt at a lateral cut, and it does work in this scenario. He's able to cut and move and pound through the second level for a good gain. He's not gonna fool anyone as Freeman, but he does show capability.

It's just not his specialty. He's not that type of back.

Is this inability to do consistent lateral cuts a problem? It could be if he's in the wrong system. He needs a system in which his talent excels. He does not excel in a spread offensive scheme going east to west - he just isn't at all. You don't want him in pistol formations either where he is forced to cut close to the line of scrimmage and try to do a lateral cut.

Now, where does he excel exactly?

Downhill running.

The Elite/Great:

Film - 2:50

giphy.gif

In this play, Fournette shows a good stutter step and is able to get about a 6 yard gain with pure force.

First thing I want everyone to notice is the large amount of space that exists between Fournette and his line in this play. 

DB5.PNG

What this allows him is to begin his cut early and create a "runway" of sorts for him to power through. He's able to comfortably stutter step from a distance then go full speed through the hole he sees.

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif 

This will allow him to go full speed and punish defenses who dare to hit him high at full speed. This is the body of a linebacker barreling down to hit for maximum impact. There's really no way of defending this. He shows deadly ability to change direction in this scenario and go full force through the hole he sees develop.

This is where he excels and is a monster at. Give him this space and ability to make adjustments far back and he will punish defenses. When he's at full speed, he's basically a bulldozer + train all in one; he'll plow you down and pound through you hard.

If he is able to get into an offense that utilizes this ability, you no doubt have one of the best backs in the league by far.

Here's another example:

Film - 5:10

giphy.gif

Here we get another great example of Fournette using that distance to his advantage. He makes a stutter step and cut a comfortable 2 yards away from the nearest defender, then just slams right through.

He then uses his full speed and force to plow his way. It doesn't matter that a guy wraps you 2 yards out there, he'll turn 2 yards into 6 easy. He's got the speed, power, and strength to do this, and this is where he excels the most.

Now, I gave him flack earlier on his lateral cutting ability, but he really excels at this different style. Check it out:

Film - 5:22

giphy.gif

In this play, he has plenty of room to get to a fast speed. He notices penetration so he cuts his stride towards the outside for a huge gain. He finishes with a smash on that safety

When he has plenty of running room, he showcases a great pick and slide style cut where he is able to slide through the backs of his o-linemen then run real fast. 

giphy.gif

I mean just look at this beauty. He gets a decent amount of room to be able to turn this into a huge play. He showcases great movement and gets to the outside to turn this into a huge play. As long as he's not forced to go east to west or do any jump/lateral cuts, you'll get the best and elite out of him and come out satisfied with his production.

He's arguably one of the best at doing this.

He loves using his stutter steps from a distance then dip into creases and breaking out. His agility and feet is amazing in this regard.

Check out another play:

Film 5:55

giphy.gif

He shows amazing footwork, stutter steps about 2 times, then just bursts through the crease he sees with little hesitation. His athleticism and agility is on full display, and he takes advantage of what he sees.

He won't be your jump-cutting back, but he will be your powerful fast back with good vision. Shows great awareness of what's going on and how his blocks progress.

This is why I'm excited about this prospect. These type of plays make me really excited.

Here's another one:

Film - 8:45

giphy.gif

What you'll notice is yet another 3-4 yard comfortable space for Fournette to be able to make a huge play. He does his little 2 step stutter and cuts towards the left. He doesn't jump cut, but he showcases talent in being able to run hard through his runway.

He's just that kind of back. A powerful, deadly runningback who's just not as elusive like Bell or Forte.

Some of you may wonder how he is in pass-blocking and receiving? 

Well, let's talk about pass-blocking first.

Pass Protection:

He has potential. He has on many occasions excelled as a college back in that area. If he gets it together, it won't be just Stewart who is one of the best at pass blocking in the NFL.

But he does have his issues. Here's an example:

Film - 4:11

giphy.gif

In this play, Fournette leans in with his shoulder as if he were running the ball; punishing defenders. However, that shouldn't be what he's doing as a pass-protector.

As you can see, his decision to bend over with his shoulder forces him to be pushed back a couple of steps and beat. This is not what you want to see from your linebacker-sized runningback at all.

However, he has at other times proven to be excellent in that area. If he strikes with his hands and gets square rather than use his pads, he's one of the best. He's done this multiple times actually, he's just not consistent.

Now, here's his potential:

Film - 8:25

giphy.gif

He utilizes perfect technique. He stays square, rolls his hips, and hits the defender with an uppercut with his hands.

The result? The defender stands straight up. 

giphy.gif

This is the monstrous potential this kid brings. If he gets this technique every-time, he's a winner. Now, he does start using his pads again when he picks up the second rusher, but still shows great awareness of picking everything up.

I can guarantee you he won't have much of a problem with that if drafted by the Panthers. Stewart will set him straight on his technique and I have no doubt he'll excel in that area with his body.

Now, what about as a receiver?

He's excellent. He's really good, and I don't know why media pundits want to get on him for that.

Receiving:

Film - 5:01

giphy.gif

He runs a good route, he gets in the defenders face and positions himself as a target. He then leaps for the grab, shows good hands, and then gets ready to run before being wrapped up. It's 3rd and 6 and he is short, but he shows good use as a receiver nevertheless in this facet.

I seriously don't see why some people give him flack over this. He's able to showcase great traits of a receiver and catch in traffic.

Here's another example:

Film - 6:57

giphy.gif

Fournette runs an up and out wheel route in this play and makes a great catch over the shoulder. He shows great route running and hands as he catches the ball. Not only that, he takes a demanding hit and holds on to the ball.

Now that's impressive.

Keeps the ball secure throughout the whole ordeal. He's certainly - in my opinion - in the top 3 of receiving backs of this draft.

Final Thoughts

I know I gave him a lot of flack over his inability to jump cut wide or well, but he's still a really good runningback.

His power, his size, his vision, and his confidence in running through small creases sets him apart. His receiving ability is an added bonus, and his potential as a pass blocker is off the charts good. There's a reason he's touted as one of the best upcoming runningbacks with the way he plays. He's a physical fast back who will punish you.

Now, I will acknowledge he is playing with a bum ankle, so he could arguably be better than this. However, I just feel he doesn't have the hips to really be that jump-cutting back you see from Freeman, Forte, and Le'Veon Bell.

What I do see is the best downhill runningback I've seen in a while. He will hit creases hard and fast, and he will get to that top gear and take off. He doesn't need to be nimble side to side to be great. He's just a great power back.

Eye formation and single sets are his strong point, while pistols and east west concepts will be quite the struggle for him. He's one of the best downhill runningbacks in a while, and will be great for a team utilizing that.

After reviewing this, it's remained to be seen if he becomes our 8th pick. 

Cam Newton is not a guy who does his plays under center. In fact, he only did so 9.2% of his snaps last year. Whether Cam can thrive under center remains tonbe seen.

If the Panthers were to evolve Cam as a pocket passer from the center, I think he'd be perfect as our pick at #8. He's a potentially great pass blocker, and his technique will be easy to refine learning under Stewart. He's great at running downhill. Using power sets and formations, we'll be able to utilize Fournette to the best of his abilities. If he has 3-5 yards behind the LoS, he will be at his best, and I believe our offense may be moving towards that idea.

Leonard Fournette is a true talent. He is arguably the best power downhill runningback in a while, and his tape shows that.

The question is whether the Panthers can maximize his talents and Cam's at the same time.

58 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

Nice write up. I really hope he's there at 8

I think he's most likely there. The only people who would take him ahead of us are the Jets, and that's a stretch. Matt Forte is your east west guy, complete opposite of Fournette. If that's the case, I don't expect the Jets run scheme to tailor well for Fournette.

The only logical team I see taking him is us at the 8th.

23 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

I think he's most likely there. The only people who would take him ahead of us are the Jets, and that's a stretch. Matt Forte is your east west guy, complete opposite of Fournette. If that's the case, I don't expect the Jets run scheme to tailor well for Fournette.

Jacksonville is another often mentioned possibility. There's also the slim chance a team trades ahead of us to take him, knowing we're the ideal spot for him. 

6 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

Jacksonville is another often mentioned possibility. There's also the slim chance a team trades ahead of us to take him, knowing we're the ideal spot for him. 

Lol. They got Ivory and Yeldon's contracts to worry about and fans want anything BUT another runningback with their issues.

I doubt Jax goes for Fournette. That's why I don't even consider them as a threat.

50 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

The Jaguars should take him.

14 minutes ago, X-Clown on 1 said:

If we keep running a zone read style run game, Fournette will have all his weaknesses thrusted into the spot light.  If he can line up 8 yards deep, ala Adrian Peterson, he'll be the back everyone expects him to be. 

That's what makes this interesting. It appears that we're looking to evolve past that. If what Rivera is saying is true, we will have more of a traditional run game with eye formation and such.

No more of that read option crap. I really am stoked.

1 minute ago, csx said:

Zone read and read option are not the same thing. It appears it's being discussed here aso if they are. 

Well obviously not.

What I'm saying is that we'll probably move to less pistol estiquette formations, which you commonly see from such formations. 

If we pick Fournette, he won't do good in being close up to the o-line. He needs a runway to be most effective.

Gettleman has said time and again that big men let you compete.  I could see him taking Soloman Thomas or Derek Barnette even if Fournette is available.  Not saying I agree with that, but I could see it.

As for the Jaguars, I think they would be more likely to take Dalvin Cooke.  They need a playmaker to help Bortles, and Cooke is the better fit for them.  They already have a power back in Ivory.

Archived