• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Star Wars Prequels are actually good.

CarolinaCoolin

attack of the clones was bad. Phantom Menace was really close to being really good actually. The biggest mistake as others have said was killing Maul. He would have made a perfect enemy for the first three films. I think Lucas realized his fugup with how badly Clones went and basically reset the story with Revenge (which is also pretty good and really close to being really good). 

My personal scores for the movies in relationship to each other

TPM-7

AOC-4

ROS-7.5

ANH-9

TESB-10 (one of the best movies of all time)

ROJ- 9

TFA-9

Bonus:

Rogue one gets a 9.5 as well from me

thanks for posting this OP, watched the first ten minutes and am really intrigued....hopefully netflix gets this soon 

It's interesting because I'm 26 now...so when the phantom menace came out I was 9 years old. Now by that point I had seen the original trilogy 100s of times. So to me, the Phantom Menace was just more Star Wars with cooler graphics. 

I see now the problems with the original but it makes you wonder....when will people learn their lesson of not to jump to conclusions so quickly and break away from the hive mind. 

5 hours ago, Jangler said:

When I got e7, I decided to watch all 7 in order.

I hated e1-3 when they came out. But over time, I see what Lucas was trying to do. 

E1-3 childlike. 4-6 puberty, 7-9 better be some R rated lightsaber sh!t. And to see what Phasma has under that silver.

You really want to see what Brienne of Tarth has?  After the hot tub scene with Jaime Lannister, I actually don't.

On 2/25/2017 at 3:20 PM, OneBadCat said:

I'll check it out for sure. I remember watching a behind the scenes clips from Episode 3 and Lucas was basically telling Hayden how to deliver the lines in one scene. In the acting world that is a big no no. 

It was a deliberate stylistic choice that George chose for his movies. To him dialogue isn't that important in movies. The Visuals and the sound are much more important. With that in mind, he absolutely made amazing movies 

20 hours ago, CarolinaCoolin said:

It was a deliberate stylistic choice that George chose for his movies. To him dialogue isn't that important in movies. The Visuals and the sound are much more important. With that in mind, he absolutely made amazing movies 

I haven't watched it yet... I am going to today, probably when I eat lunch... will report then.

I have to say though, I don't think you can call them "amazing" by just knowing what the creator intended to do.  imo your intent is irrelevant... pretty sure Snyder intended to make an amazing movie in Batman v Superman and just... didn't.  Lucas can think that visuals and sound are more important that dialogue, but that doesn't make him right.  fwiw the visuals and sounds in the prequels ARE amazing, I don't disagree with that at all.  They were state of the art at the time and still mostly hold up today.  Overall however they don't compare to the originals in content to me as a fan.

I watched the 10 minute one, sorry, not paying for the longer version.  Very well done, the guy obviously loves Star Wars and put in a ton of effort on that.

I've said it before and I'll repeat.  @CarolinaCoolin is not wrong.  I am not wrong.  @R0CKnR0LLA is not wrong.  Nobody in this thread is wrong.

We're talking about fictional works of art.  It's ok to love it and it's ok to hate it, it's all subjective.  If you love the prequels, that's fantastic, I hope you own them and watch them every night.  I personally think that while they are canon Star Wars, and I do watch them from time-to-time, they are inferior movies to the original trilogy.

I also think that Rogue One is far and away the best Star Wars movie.  It's all opinion, and sure we can argue our viewpoint and not understand why someone else doesn't agree, but in the end, it doesn't matter.  I don't care how many times I watch Phantom Menace, I just don't think it's as good as ANH, I just don't.  Doesn't matter to me what Lucas' motivation was, who his perceived audience was, or any of that... it's just not as subjectively enjoyable to me.  It's no more "wrong" than me telling you that I like seafood, and you don't and you're wrong.  You're not wrong, we just don't like the same things.

As for the OP, the problem we've had personally is that your immediate reaction when someone disagrees with you is to go "fug you, whatever" instead of engaging in honest discussion.  I think you're in the minority as far as your opinion on this board about these movies, which is fine, but you're no more right or wrong than anyone else, including me. 

38 minutes ago, Darth Biscuit said:

I haven't watched it yet... I am going to today, probably when I eat lunch... will report then.

I have to say though, I don't think you can call them "amazing" by just knowing what the creator intended to do.  imo your intent is irrelevant... pretty sure Snyder intended to make an amazing movie in Batman v Superman and just... didn't.  Lucas can think that visuals and sound are more important that dialogue, but that doesn't make him right.  fwiw the visuals and sounds in the prequels ARE amazing, I don't disagree with that at all.  They were state of the art at the time and still mostly hold up today.  Overall however they don't compare to the originals in content to me as a fan.

I'll be interested to see if your opinion changes after watching. Or atleast if you see where I'm coming from especially concerning some of the things often criticize about the prequels but don't for the orginals 

3 minutes ago, Darth Biscuit said:

I watched the 10 minute one, sorry, not paying for the longer version.  Very well done, the guy obviously loves Star Wars and put in a ton of effort on that.

I've said it before and I'll repeat.  @CarolinaCoolin is not wrong.  I am not wrong.  @R0CKnR0LLA is not wrong.  Nobody in this thread is wrong.

We're talking about fictional works of art.  It's ok to love it and it's ok to hate it, it's all subjective.  If you love the prequels, that's fantastic, I hope you own them and watch them every night.  I personally think that while they are canon Star Wars, and I do watch them from time-to-time, they are inferior movies to the original trilogy.

I also think that Rogue One is far and away the best Star Wars movie.  It's all opinion, and sure we can argue our viewpoint and not understand why someone else doesn't agree, but in the end, it doesn't matter.  I don't care how many times I watch Phantom Menace, I just don't think it's as good as ANH, I just don't.  Doesn't matter to me what Lucas' motivation was, who his perceived audience was, or any of that... it's just not as subjectively enjoyable to me.  It's no more "wrong" than me telling you that I like seafood, and you don't and you're wrong.  You're not wrong, we just don't like the same things.

As for the OP, the problem we've had personally is that your immediate reaction when someone disagrees with you is to go "fug you, whatever" instead of engaging in honest discussion.  I think you're in the minority as far as your opinion on this board about these movies, which is fine, but you're no more right or wrong than anyone else, including me. 

It's 3 bucks dude lol I'll venmo you the money if you watch it 

4 minutes ago, Darth Biscuit said:

We're talking about fictional works of art.  It's ok to love it and it's ok to hate it, it's all subjective.

Yo man, this is the INTERNET!!!  I'm the only one right!!!  Right?!?!  Rawr???

On 2/25/2017 at 7:53 PM, davos said:

RedLetterMedia FTFW.  

My view: Attack of the Clones is embarrasing.  The adventures of Obi-Wan were the saving grace of the prequels but AotC is really difficult to watch...even more so than Phantom Menace which had a cool villain and Liam Schindler.  

Man, I loved watching RedLetterMedia's reviews of those movies.  I nearly wet myself laughing the first time!

I caught them over the summer on some random cable channel.  Time hasn't really done a whole lot for them.  I appreciate the idea that there are different stages of growth (childhood, adolescence, and adult) to a degree.  Who's journey are we going on through that since Vader has already died and redeemed himself?

I'm not going to jump into destroying the plot, while fun, tends to rub people the wrong way.  I'll simply say there were easier and better ways to put the Jedi where they were.  The lack of a concrete bad guy, instead using three different ones doesn't help the story flow.  Some of the story lines like the relationship of Anikan and Padme, and Aniken and Obi-wan were nice, just flubbed up.  I thought the Revenge of the Sith was the strongest of the prequels, especially for the ending.  There were a lot of great ideas, but they just weren't assembled really well.  and Jar Jar....dude...

20 minutes ago, CarolinaCoolin said:

It's 3 bucks dude lol I'll venmo you the money if you watch it 

I mean I really don't think it would change my opinion in the slightest tbh based on what he's talking about in that first 10 minutes.

10 minutes ago, d-dave said:

Yo man, this is the INTERNET!!!  I'm the only one right!!!  Right?!?!  Rawr???

Man, I loved watching RedLetterMedia's reviews of those movies.  I nearly wet myself laughing the first time!

I caught them over the summer on some random cable channel.  Time hasn't really done a whole lot for them.  I appreciate the idea that there are different stages of growth (childhood, adolescence, and adult) to a degree.  Who's journey are we going on through that since Vader has already died and redeemed himself?

I'm not going to jump into destroying the plot, while fun, tends to rub people the wrong way.  I'll simply say there were easier and better ways to put the Jedi where they were.  The lack of a concrete bad guy, instead using three different ones doesn't help the story flow.  Some of the story lines like the relationship of Anikan and Padme, and Aniken and Obi-wan were nice, just flubbed up.  I thought the Revenge of the Sith was the strongest of the prequels, especially for the ending.  There were a lot of great ideas, but they just weren't assembled really well.  and Jar Jar....dude...

Yeah, I mean that's the general idea of internet land, "I'm right and you're a moron" but it doesn't have to be that way.

10 minutes ago, Darth Biscuit said:

I mean I really don't think it would change my opinion in the slightest tbh based on what he's talking about in that first 10 minutes.

Yeah, I mean that's the general idea of internet land, "I'm right and you're a moron" but it doesn't have to be that way.

You watched 10 minutes of a 110 minute documentary. You don't think there is any thing that will change your mind?

2 minutes ago, CarolinaCoolin said:

You watched 10 minutes of a 110 minute documentary. You don't think there is any thing that will change your mind?

I don't.  His reasoning, like yours, is talking about Lucas motivations and his perceived audience, and things like that frankly don't matter imo.  I've seen the movies and I'm not basing my opinion on other people's reviews or opinions.  I don't need someone to say "well. Lucas was misunderstood"... he very well may have been, but why does that matter?  I don't think the prequels are as good as the original trilogy based on my viewing of them (multiple, multiple times).  Was the original trilogy criticized for a lot of similar things (in it's time) as the prequels, sure it was... all movies are...  does that change MY personal opinion of it?  No, it does not.  If Lucas meant them for this audience or that audience, does that change MY personal opinion of it? No, it does not.  See where I'm going?

Obviously you've seen it and I haven't, without having to write a book, what else would he have that might change my mind?

22 hours ago, CarolinaCoolin said:

Well I am not one to believe you must have great acting to make a great movie. Starwars is great just because of the fantasy and idea if it alone. 

I mean the original live action TMNT movie is one of my favorites all time and the I wouldn't say it has any Oscar worthy performances. But generally in film and theater you don't tell  actors how to act. And if they suck then you fire them and replace them. Direction is one thing, repeatedly telling someone how to say the lines is another.  That takes away an actors own instincts and if a director doesn't like their instincts then that is a casting issue. 

Aside from that the script has some cringe worthy awkward moments. Like when Anakin says, "In my opinion the Jedi are evil!". I mean what the hell is that. You can't act your way out of that. At least let him say, "The Jedi are evil". It's obviously already established what his opinion is because it's coming out of his mouth.

Lucas is obviously one of the most accomplished directors and storytellers ever so by no means do I know more than he does. But I am simply commenting from my own experience as amateur as it maybe.

Archived