• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ron Rivera And Brandon Beane At Stanford To See Christian McCaffrey And Solomon Thomas

bobsfoodbasics

7 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

Because he is a DT. I would rather get a DE that can move inside. Than a DT, that may have trouble moving outside.

He has the burst to move outside though. Lots of college players end up playing a different role in the NFL. He can play 4-3 DE all day long.

32 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Not sure why you'd be so sure of that. Two of our top three DEs are stopgap players and the 3rd had been a situational pass rusher up until last season. I feel okay about our DE situation for this season but looking forward we don't really have a DE situation.

With CJ's back issues I'm not even sure how good I feel this year.  If he's a full go and we do go DE at 8 on paper it's top front 7 of all time worthy.

If they feel mccaffery can be as effective or very close as fournette AND you get the slot receiver / return man as a bonus ..how is he NOT the pick . You can find a big bruiser that will plow ahead for 3 yards a pop in any round . Even undrafted. I really don't get the fournette hype

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

46 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

What a waste of the Panthers money sending Rivera.

RR could watch Bo Jackson workout and not know what to think of it.

Not sure if serious, guy has a fantastic defensive mind. 

55 minutes ago, SOJA said:

If we end up with both Thomas and McAffrey after day 1 I don't care how the rest of the draft goes 

The more I think about it the more I think we're shooting to trade back up in the first for McAffrey- the Ealy trade makes a lot of sense then

53 minutes ago, steven8989 said:

Looks like Thomas could be gone by our pick I would say they are more than likely looking at McCaffrey and if Thomas falls it might be the pick

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

McCaffery at 8 would defiantly be a bold move.

I was thinking, if we don't get our Hog Mollie DE, we may trade down, pick up another 2nd rounder, and pick McCaffery at 23 or so.

I don't normally advocating moving down. Especially when you get to pick at 8. But man, McCaffery can do so many things, and do them all well.

3 2nd round picks, and McCaffery would tickle my giddy no end.

57 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

He has the burst to move outside though. Lots of college players end up playing a different role in the NFL. He can play 4-3 DE all day long.

I am just saying. Almost everything I have heard has him as a DT. I can appreciate that he can move around, because versatility is a plus. That said, I would rather have an actual DE playing DE, than move a DT outside.

I would assume that you are moving him outside on passing downs. Which seems counterproductive to me. Usually, that Nascar package is to get more speed on the field. And for the most part. DEs are quicker, and faster, than most DTs. So you  usually move a DE inside, as apposed to doing the DT to DE thingy.

That said. If some how, some way, he falls to us. I would welcome him.

1 minute ago, iamhubby1 said:

I am just saying. Almost everything I have heard has him as a DT. I can appreciate that he can move around, because versatility is a plus. That said, I would rather have an actual DE playing DE, than move a DT outside.

I would assume that you are moving him outside on passing downs. Which seems counterproductive to me. Usually, that Nascar package is to get more speed on the field. And for the most part. DEs are quicker, and faster, than most DTs. So you  usually move a DE inside, as apposed to doing the DT to DE thingy.

That said. If some how, some way, he falls to us. I would welcome him.

I wouldn't move him anywhere. I'd straight up play him at DE. He's not big enough to play DT in a 4-3 scheme. You could kick him inside and let him rush from the DT spot on obvious passing downs if you want, but he'd basically need a redshirt year to bulk up if you wanted him at DT full time.

The guy can play DE in a 4-3. I had my doubts about it until the combine.

9 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I wouldn't move him anywhere. I'd straight up play him at DE. He's not big enough to play DT in a 4-3 scheme. You could kick him inside and let him rush from the DT spot on obvious passing downs if you want, but he'd basically need a redshirt year to bulk up if you wanted him at DT full time.yThe guy can play DE in a 4-3. I had my doubts about it until the combine.

Well, ok then. That settles it. If Thomas is there at 8, he is in play. I can live with it. He is athletic as poo. And for me, that is a good starting point.

I want a DE that can help. If this kid can get the job done. I'll take it like a man should. Quietly, and unhappily. lol

1 hour ago, nctarheel0619 said:

Looks like Cam looks pretty good behind center, as well.  AKA Fournette>McCaffrey and it's not close.  

As a running back Fournette is much better than McCaffrey. But McCaffrey is an accomplished receiver and punt/KO returner and Fournette is not. Overall value goes to McCaffrey and it isn't close. McCaffrey would start at returner and slot receiver and Fournette will be Stewart's back up all year. Not what you want with a top 10 pick.

Archived