• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trading up for Fournette?

AU-panther

6 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

One of the analysts did a mock draft that had 2 QBs going off the board in the top 7 (basically an ideal scenario for us...), BUT the other five off the board were Garrett, Thomas, Adams, Fournette & Howard!  Yikes.  Suddenly a promising scenario (2 Qbs taken in the top 7), turns into a nightmare with our favorite 5 players all off the board.

I could see that happening unfortunately, unless Lattimore or Foster or one of the WRs could possibly come into play in the top 7.

But trades could shake things up.  We shall see, it's getting closer!

Lattimore, Allen and Hooker are all pretty likely to go ahead of us I think.

Just now, thomas96 said:

Lattimore, Allen and Hooker are all pretty likely to go ahead of us I think.

Could be.  I keep forgetting about Hooker because I'm not really wanting him, but yes, he could go top 7 surely.  I hope so.  And Lattimore too..  

To be honest, if we ended up with Lattimore, I wouldn't scream.  He's not a *need*, but if he's BPA at #8 I'd be happy to get him.  The talent is there I think.

Back to the OP, I really don't want us to trade up from 8 for ANYONE except *POSSIBLY* Garrett if he's there at 2 or 3.  But even then, the cost would be so huge, and I think we have a lot of needs that we can fill in a nice deep draft.  I don't think it's totally justified to give up so much for one player.  Hoping we hold steady and get someone good (both in terms of talent & our needs) at 8.

20 yrs ago, people might be trading up

This era, I don't see it.

I think smoke and mirrors are for those teams yelling that they might take Fournette hoping they will get a nibble from a trade down partner.  But who knows, most say he goes from 2-6

He might well be there at 8, but I would not trade up for him or anyone but Garrett

I know there's a lot of chatter that the Jags might well take Fournette.  Plus there's the example of Dallas and Zeke last year.  He was a game changer for them....

But recent history is definitely against picking a RB so high. 

That devaluing of RB must be influencing the Fanspeak draft simulator.  

Just for the heck of it, I just did 20 mock drafts of picks 1 - 7, using 13 different draft boards.  (And several different lists of "team need" priorities).

SHOCKINGLY (to me at least, given the hype about Fournette), not one of those 20 mocks had Fournette going in the top 7!  Even Walter Football, who has Fournette as the #2 ranked player on their board, and for which I did 3 drafts (using different team need ranking lists), no team picked Fournette in the top 7.

So, are we guilty of using our interest in Fournette to over-hype him and suggest he'll go higher than he will?  Obviously it only takes 1 team.  And I don't really trust Fanspeak, but still, maybe we're overthinking this a bit.

Here are the 12 players that went off the board in the top 7 in these 20 mock drafts I just ran, and the % chance of their being available for us at #8 based on these 20 drafts.

Edit:  Not sure why the table didn't show up.  Here it is as a png image:

58f3e1beb57e4_20mocks.png.b9edaef0a4d4aab1b7dae50d7371349f.png

I might try to do the same analysis of player availability at #8 based on recent analyst mocks as opposed to the fanspeak simulator.  If I get a chance to do that, I'll post it later.  Might create a separate thread depending on how interesting it is..., i.e. if there's anything suprising or worth discussing.

40 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

I might try to do the same analysis of player availability at #8 based on recent analyst mocks as opposed to the fanspeak simulator.  If I get a chance to do that, I'll post it later.  Might create a separate thread depending on how interesting it is..., i.e. if there's anything suprising or worth discussing.

yes, please

Could be.  I keep forgetting about Hooker because I'm not really wanting him, but yes, he could go top 7 surely.  I hope so.  And Lattimore too..  
To be honest, if we ended up with Lattimore, I wouldn't scream.  He's not a *need*, but if he's BPA at #8 I'd be happy to get him.  The talent is there I think.
Back to the OP, I really don't want us to trade up from 8 for ANYONE except *POSSIBLY* Garrett if he's there at 2 or 3.  But even then, the cost would be so huge, and I think we have a lot of needs that we can fill in a nice deep draft.  I don't think it's totally justified to give up so much for one player.  Hoping we hold steady and get someone good (both in terms of talent & our needs) at 8.

Lattimore might make sense if Bradberry and Coleman were right about us switching to more man coverage.

The idea of Bradberry at the 2CB seems nice.

Lol, throw a little Obi in the 2nd and we would basically be throwing our entire draft at stopping one player...

Can't remember his name, though... some kinda TBI

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

the bottom line is this,and wether you like it or not doesn't change the fact,that Fournette is the best player in the draft ,and Gettleman thank god knows it too.

riddle me this...put two and two on the run and and catch it in a net and see what you get?

Archived