• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If we take Fournette. Do we actually use him?

OneBadCat

6 hours ago, OneBadCat said:

I want Fournette to be a Panther but one thing that I am concerned about is if we take him, does Ron give him enough carries? 

I just don't want him pulling a John Fox and not giving him enough opportunities like he did with DeAngelo when Foster was the starter. 

That said Stewart is a much better player than Foster was and has earned the right to start. Given that both Stew and LF are power runners how do we know he'll get enough touches?

I think Stew and LF would be an incredible duo but I'm not sure I have the faith in Shula or Ron to not f that up.

If we waste his first two years until Stew is cut I'd rather us take McCaffrey for his instant impact as a returner and receiver. That could get us a closer to a superbowl now than later.

Cam accounted for 1/4 of the running game thats plenty of carries to go around .

7 hours ago, CPcavedweller said:

...especially not a running back with a history of injuries and what seems to be lack of will to play. Dude doesn't love the game, and if things get difficult, how long does he stick around? 

I don't want to move either but what is this about him not wanting to play?

6 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I thought it was a legitimate question. 

Stewart is a beast of a RB that Ron loves. There is a chance that Fournette doesn't get a ton of reps right away, especially in pass protect. 

Could see it being like DeAngelo and Stew in 2011. I would think Stew would be in on the large majority of passing downs. Could have both on the field in a split formation and do some things with Fournette out of the backfield too. But Stew's pretty much guaranteed to miss a game or two at least, unfortunately, which could pave the way for the Fournette show.

Not sure how Rivera would do it, but I think Stew is best suited to a passing down and breather back role right now than a workhorse. Use Fournette on early downs with Stew on passing downs until Fournette gets rolling in pass protection in a year or two then ride him.

6 minutes ago, thomas96 said:

Could see it being like DeAngelo and Stew in 2011. I would think Stew would be in on the large majority of passing downs. Could have both on the field in a split formation and do some things with Fournette out of the backfield too. But Stew's pretty much guaranteed to miss a game or two at least, unfortunately, which could pave the way for the Fournette show.

Not sure how Rivera would do it, but I think Stew is best suited to a passing down and breather back role right now than a workhorse. Use Fournette on early downs with Stew on passing downs until Fournette gets rolling in pass protection in a year or two then ride him.

6 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I thought it was a legitimate question. 

Stewart is a beast of a RB that Ron loves. There is a chance that Fournette doesn't get a ton of reps right away, especially in pass protect. 

13 hours ago, PhillyB said:

it's a legitimate question. stew is a full-time starter and fournette should be.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/leonard-fournette?id=2557973

1.8  RB: LEONARD FOURNETTE | 6'-1" 235LBS 

USAGE: As Rivera mentioned of taking the running game load off CAM those extra carries will give the Fournette & J-Stew more opportunites to be on the fied. Along with slow development of Devin Funchess &  lack of # 2 WR look for Fournette & J-Stew to be involved in the receivng game as well.

- In 2011 when Panthers used the 2 TE while having Deangelo & J-Stew that created a potent offense. 

D - Williams    155/Att   | 836 yds |  7 TDs | 16/rec | 135 yds | 0 TD

J-Stew             142/Att  | 761 yds | 4 TDs  | 47/rec | 413 yds | 1 TD 

CAM                126/Att | 706 yds | 14 TDs 

- With long term health concern for Cam there will be enough snaps for both J-Stew and Fournette to be effective players with one topping the 1,000 rushing mark while the other is more utiilzed in the receiving game & Short yardage. 

14 hours ago, Marguide said:

I don't want to move either but what is this about him not wanting to play?

He sat out games to really protect his health and draft status. Todd Gurley didn't do that and offered to play on the scout team when coming back from injury. Fournette is a me guy and I personally don't think that sits well with this locker room. To me, he doesn't seem to be in it because he loves the game but because it is his only option, an expectation if you will. For that reason, I don't believe he will live up to his potential. 

Archived