• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tre Boston Has Been Waived

Here's what Max Henson has written about this in terms of who the guys are on the roster the Panthers could see as the answer at safety depth.  McCray is a guy we signed in early January on a Reserve-Futures contract

Beyond Adams, the Panthers are eager to see how L.J. McCrayicon-article-link.gif performs after flashing potential at his previous stop with the 49ers. McCray played in 22 games and recorded 14 special teams tackles in 2014 and 2015. A knee injury ended his 2015 season, and he did not play in 2016, but he's in position to contribute 18 months following the injury.

The Panthers have been intrigued by Dean Marloweicon-article-link.gif ever since adding him a priority undrafted free agent in 2015. He could be a factor if he stays healthy. He played just one game in 2016 after a hamstring injury landed him on injured reserve.

Carolina also likes Brian Blechenicon-article-link.gif, a practice squad member each of the last two years. After beefing up to start his NFL career as a linebacker, the Panthers instructed him to lose weight so he could compete at safety – the position he played in college.

http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Thoughts-on-Tre-Bostons-departure-and-whats-next/d7b025b0-162a-43d2-9ce5-902aa7110df6

5 minutes ago, Wolfpredator said:

The 2014 draft is turning out to be a terrible one.  With the KB overweight talk and people expecting him to possibly be on his way out, looks like the only player we *may* still have worth a crap is Trai Turner.

But people generally liked our draft in 2014...I just googled those results!

What that goes to show is that you can't grade a draft until 3 or so years later.  It also goes to show you never stop trying to improve.  Most teams are guilty of being complacent.

As far as what we do after Boston - look for the cuts.  Once the Jets get tired of waiting for a draft pick for Proyor, he'll hit the open market again.

26 minutes ago, Cracka McNasty said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

I argued that based on total accrued seasons, both Marlowe and Benjamin had missed the same amount of time due to injury.

You argued that Benjamin starts and Marlowe is a backup. That's completely irrelevant to my original argument.

I basically said "The sky is blue", and you responded with "What do you mean grass isn't green?"

That's what a straw man argument is. 

I'm not comparing their skills to one another, I'm comparing the fact that they both missed their second year due to injury. Claiming that a guy can never get healthy based on that small amount of data is jumping the gun in my opinion. 

That's all I'm saying.

the comparison is irrelevant because KB produced his 1st season.. And Again Marlowe has never done anything..

1 minute ago, 15 said:

there's this crazy thing that happens right before the season starts known as "training camp cuts"...

So....... This just happened and we are talking about what we look like now...

1 minute ago, d-dave said:

It also goes to show you never stop trying to improve.  Most teams are guilty of being complacent.

Gettleman is the opposite of complacent this season.  He's being aggressive in his moves.  I think I prefer the aggression to just waiting and hoping a guy will fulfill hoped-for promise.  Last offseason & this offseason are looking to be POLAR OPPOSITESs

Boston expects to be claimed on waivers later today, and hopes he’ll be picked up by a team that is on the Panthers’ schedule this season.

“Everybody always wants that when you’re cut. You always want to come back and play and show them what you got,” he said. “Maybe it’ll be in the future.”

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article148059954.html

6 minutes ago, CatMan72 said:

Figured we would keep Tre around for depth and ST, so this is a surprise. He was well liked so I bet they wanted to give him a fresh start somewhere else.

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Yep, I honestly think releasing him now was done as a favor to him. Other than giving him the best chance to continue his NFL career, I don't see any reason to release him at this point. But, if you like the guy and respect him and you know you want to move on, releasing him now is the best thing for him.

Archived