• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Albert Breer Believes The Panthers Would Have Selected McCaffrey Over Fournette

12 hours ago, GoobyPls said:

Bullsh*t, Fournette would have been the pick and everyone knows it, even if they deny it now

This whole teams are adapting is a overreaction to the patriots winning the SB and James White having a bunch of catches.

Shula had a plan if we would have drafted Fournette. He took the players we were likely to pick and had a plan how to use all of them. Since they didn't know who would go where, they had contingency plans in place for several possibilities. 

The whole defenses are adapting to what we do creating a need to change was discussed after 2015 as Shula wanted another TE to go to an offense similar to 2011. After 2016 he realized we needed to get faster and let Cam throw quicker when teams blitzed us and our receivers couldn't beat press coverage and our line struggled. Another tight end wasn't going to solve that so we talked about a quick slot receiver and versatile guys who can give us more options out of the no huddle and spread which is what we are going to do more of in 2017.

3 hours ago, stankowalski said:

Because it takes more than a couple of games to perfect the gameplan and execution.  

OK... but why does that mean that "we" must or should temper our expectations?

Do you expect that if you have high expectations and they aren't met that you couldn't deal with the failure of those expectations in a mature manner?

Do you actually mean that "you" should and not "we" should?

6 minutes ago, top dawg said:

It looks like Voth had a his fingers on the pulse of the Panthers this offseason. We'll see what happens next year.

Would have been Fournette. 

Of course, you will never hear that now. Why on earth would they say otherwise?

5 hours ago, panthers55 said:

Shula had a plan if we would have drafted Fournette. He took the players we were likely to pick and had a plan how to use all of them. Since they didn't know who would go where, they had contingency plans in place for several possibilities. 

The whole defenses are adapting to what we do creating a need to change was discussed after 2015 as Shula wanted another TE to go to an offense similar to 2011. After 2016 he realized we needed to get faster and let Cam throw quicker when teams blitzed us and our receivers couldn't beat press coverage and our line struggled. Another tight end wasn't going to solve that so we talked about a quick slot receiver and versatile guys who can give us more options out of the no huddle and spread which is what we are going to do more of in 2017.

They still of would taken Fournette. Teams love talking themselves into picks all the time.

3 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

They still of would taken Fournette. Teams love talking themselves into picks all the time.

Gettleman glowed over how well Fournette catches the ball in his presser. 

I have zero doubt he would have been the pick, based on a good number of things. But hey, who cares now. lol

49 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Would have been Fournette. 

Of course, you will never hear that now. Why on earth would they say otherwise?

I absolutely believe you about Fournette. I just don't believe that any of us thought that Gettleman would really pick McCaffrey so high. I knew that if he did though that many of us would be extremely comfortable with the pick considering the circumstances.

1 hour ago, GoobyPls said:

Obviously Gettleman wasn't so in love with Fournette that he was willing to lose picks to move ahead of Jacksonville. So while he may very well have picked Fournette if everything was equal he clearly planned to stay at 8 and felt comfortable not picking Fournette. So he must not have been an overwhelming favorite.

46 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I absolutely believe you about Fournette. I just don't believe that any of us thought that Gettleman would really pick McCaffrey so high. I knew that if he did though that many of us would be extremely comfortable with the pick considering the circumstances.

I didn't know if he would pick McCaffrey that high or even go offense since his overwhelming preference has been to go defense in the first 3 rounds. I definitely think he made the right move and think McCaffrey was absolutely the best  choice. 

The success of this is going to pivot around two players: Cam and Ryan Kalil.

Cam's going to have more weapons and options available to him than ever before. The difficulty is in processing all of those options at game speed. I think he's shown how each year he can handle more and more complex schemes (given protection) and he has been handling one of the most complex ones so far. Can he keep it going with two wild cards involved? Yeah, I think he'll be able to.

Ryan Kalil is the next pivot point. As center, he's going to be tasked with setting up not just protections for Cam but making sure the line is ready for their assignments on running plays and options... and in this offense that isn't easy to do. He's going to have to ID not just the blitzer but also the spy on each play and make sure that the line dictates its will on the defense. Luckily, he's a smart guy with a lot of experience. He's also got guys around him that have played in the system for multiple years, with the exception of that other Kalil guy. Of course, as brothers, that probably will speed up the communication and teamwork curves.

I think we're in for a really interesting year. Not expecting to see much of the razzle dazzle in the preseason, but come opening day, it's going to be edge of your seat football watching around here.

52 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Obviously Gettleman wasn't so in love with Fournette that he was willing to lose picks to move ahead of Jacksonville. So while he may very well have picked Fournette if everything was equal he clearly planned to stay at 8 and felt comfortable not picking Fournette. So he must not have been an overwhelming favorite.

Oh yeah cause Gettleman is known for trading up in the first round ......

He wouldn't have traded for Mccafrey if he was as highly regarded either.

The success of this is going to pivot around two players: Cam and Ryan Kalil.
Cam's going to have more weapons and options available to him than ever before. The difficulty is in processing all of those options at game speed. I think he's shown how each year he can handle more and more complex schemes (given protection) and he has been handling one of the most complex ones so far. Can he keep it going with two wild cards involved? Yeah, I think he'll be able to.
Ryan Kalil is the next pivot point. As center, he's going to be tasked with setting up not just protections for Cam but making sure the line is ready for their assignments on running plays and options... and in this offense that isn't easy to do. He's going to have to ID not just the blitzer but also the spy on each play and make sure that the line dictates its will on the defense. Luckily, he's a smart guy with a lot of experience. He's also got guys around him that have played in the system for multiple years, with the exception of that other Kalil guy. Of course, as brothers, that probably will speed up the communication and teamwork curves.
I think we're in for a really interesting year. Not expecting to see much of the razzle dazzle in the preseason, but come opening day, it's going to be edge of your seat football watching around here.

I agree this will come down to Cam and Kalil. But I think it is the other Kahlil that the success pivots on. I have full confidence in Ryan making the calls. To me Matt is the big question mark. Can he stay healthy and play to the level we are paying him for? If not then we are left with Moton, Williams, and Oher(if he is even around) on the outside. If Matt Kalil comes in and is a beast then it will allow us to dictate so many things. If not we will be the ones be dictated to. Let all cross our fingers on this one.

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Archived