• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

6 months in....

Jeremy Igo

...i still eat a steak once a month but since i moved to plant based, non gmo, non inflamatory food...i sht turds like a guinea pig...compact and clean as a whistle...but Igo lost so much weight he looks like a puppet...cant eliminate any one food group completely... and be truly healthy.

Interesting insight into dietary habits. I find that after 8 years in Asia my tastes are varied and I've learned what I like but i can adapt too. As an example I deeply loathed boiled cabbage since the days of school dinners. However, Kimchi is an excellent way of making cabbage which I had always hated palatable. I can't forsake meat but I can control the amount and variety of it that I consume. I definitely believe personally, that dietary habits acquired as a younger man weren't sustainable as I moved into middle age. I eat lots of veggies and fruit (which is still better than processed sugar). I have never liked the texture of nuts but if i chop them fine and scatter them in a salad I don't notice them. I subscribe to the idea that a mixture of food groups is best. My advice is re-try foods that you previously avoided since your palate changes.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/why-fermented-foods--sauerkraut-kimchi-and-yogurt--are-good-for-your-gut/2017/05/05/dd0c9a62-0e4a-11e7-9b0d-d27c98455440_story.html?tid=sm_fb&utm_term=.e08ddb81d322

I have many vegan friends in the UK and frankly their pallid unhealthy appearance despite vitamin supplements makes me highly dubious of it as a lifestyle. Maybe that's just an odd case or a uniquely English thing though.

They do say vegetarians live 9yrs longer than normal people.... I will enjoy my bacon and the early check out time....

just put 2 8lb pork shoulders on the smoker for tomorrow, I'll make some extra slaw should you get hungry.....

4 hours ago, OnlyPantherFaninMaine said:

One thing I'll warn those of considering making the switch to a vegan lifestyle... my meals tend to look like one big medley of things mixed together on a plate. I can never quite get the presentation I'm going for but oh well. Tonight it was a bed of brown rice, topped with baby spinach, and two veggie patties topped with grilled onions, tomatoes, pickles, and guacamole. 

Presentation? Dont worry bout that sshit. 

6 hours ago, OnlyPantherFaninMaine said:

One thing I'll warn those of considering making the switch to a vegan lifestyle... my meals tend to look like one big medley of things mixed together on a plate. I can never quite get the presentation I'm going for but oh well. Tonight it was a bed of brown rice, topped with baby spinach, and two veggie patties topped with grilled onions, tomatoes, pickles, and guacamole. 

No. Not to hate on you, but no. If you want to swear off of meat, don't eat things that are supposed to be meat. You in, or you ain't. Don't be a poser/wannabe.

On 6/23/2017 at 10:28 PM, Johnny Rockets said:

True...but you gotta admit Igo is looking good (no homo). He's on to something.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

I thought you preferred homo (no Igo)

(just a joke so I could say "no Igo"...I have no idea about your sexuality! Igo is a sexy beast now though) :)

4 hours ago, cookinbrak said:

No. Not to hate on you, but no. If you want to swear off of meat, don't eat things that are supposed to be meat. You in, or you ain't. Don't be a poser/wannabe.

Within 10 years about 30% of "meat" sold in the US will actually be plant based. They are really close to taking plant proteins and through science making it look and taste exactly like meat. 

Bill Gates invested in a company called Impossible Foods who are starting to scale up now. Their "Impossible Burger" actually bleeds like a burger. They took a yeast and programmed it to produce Heme iron. That is what gives meat it's meat taste. So they brew up the heme iron and use it in their burgers. Fascinating stuff. 

I had a Beyond Burger yesterday that also uses a similar process. 100% plant based. Hardly any saturated fat and zero cholesterol. 20 grams of protein. Cooked exactly like a normal burger. 

Some friends of ours had a cookout with non vegans and a few even said they preferred it to the beef. 

DDGaKrvXkAA12AH.jpg

If you had a choice between two burgers that tasted identical and priced the same I am pretty sure a ton of people would choose the plant burger. Healthier, much more environmentally friendly, and no animals treated poorly. 

Anyone interested should read this from a non vegan... 

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2016/06/21/482322571/silicon-valley-s-bloody-plant-burger-smells-tastes-and-sizzles-like-meat

"The taste is unreal. When I tried a mini burger slathered in vegan mayo, mashed avocado, caramelized onions and Dijon prepared by San Francisco chef Traci Des Jardin at the company's headquarters in Redwood City, I was floored. The flavor was slightly less potent than meat, but if I didn't already know this burger was made from plants, I wouldn't have guessed it. ."

I'm now at 140 pounds lost, off all my daily meds and I've blown my doctor's mind who is now researching my diet and is going to recommend it to other patients. I completely reversed my non-alcoholic fatty liver, pre-diabetes, anemia, IBS-D and hernia related indigestion where a GI told me I'd be on Protonix for the rest of my life. 

I just had bilateral knee replacement surgery on June 5th and am so happy I dropped the equivalent of a whole person in weight to make this rehab process much, much easier. 

Diet is everything. 

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Anyone interested should read this from a non vegan... 

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2016/06/21/482322571/silicon-valley-s-bloody-plant-burger-smells-tastes-and-sizzles-like-meat

"The taste is unreal. When I tried a mini burger slathered in vegan mayo, mashed avocado, caramelized onions and Dijon prepared by San Francisco chef Traci Des Jardin at the company's headquarters in Redwood City, I was floored. The flavor was slightly less potent than meat, but if I didn't already know this burger was made from plants, I wouldn't have guessed it. ."

OK but what is the price difference? Some of us are poor.

Archived