• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Last Jedi

twylyght

On 11/16/2017 at 1:25 PM, Shocker said:

Most people disagree with me here but I didnt like the characters or plot and thought it was shallow and boring.  Just my opinion and I realize most people loved it.  I almost fell asleep in the theater watching it.

I've heard other people were bored by it as well , but the characters are really archetypes and not especially unique in how they get together or operate and that was something I just expected, as Star Wars in general is that way. I thought the way they editing of the big last battles was well done, the effects were absolutely beautiful and the story was pretty compelling. There are a lot of plot hole problems though.

On 11/16/2017 at 2:18 PM, Davidson Deac II said:

I liked TFA, but thought Rogue one was better. 

I am looking forward to the new one, but I do hope the hints about Rey following Kylo are misleading. 

I think this trilogy ends with both ends of the Force "freeing" everybody from the chains of those who pull the strings. So, in a way, it's misleading to hint at Rey "joining" Kylo in that she's going to get further training from Kylo while also keeping him grounded within his humanity so that the light and dark sides of the Force can stop the duality and bring the Force truly into balance within itself. That's just my speculation though, based on the trailer.

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 11:00 AM, cookinwithgas said:

how can you hate Rogue One? What is there to hate in it?

The lead actors are weak. I liked it ok, but I think if they had cast it with better actors who actually had a presence I would have enjoyed it more.  For example, in TFA, Daisy Ridley's performance of Rey just exuded inner strength and power and you could sense that she was someone to be reckoned with.  The female lead in RO (I can't remember her name right now) just didn't project any of that.  Same goes for the lead actor.  I think both would have been ok in supporting roles, but I think they were miscast as the leads.   

That is a totally fair assessment. The pace of the movie limited a lot of possible character stuff, but Jyn could have been fleshed out more, and the rest of the cast was obviously Disney Casting; famous Chinese martial arts guy, Mexican leading man, nerd fan favorite was the robot voice, etc. I thought that the Mexican guy actually did a good job. I HATED Forrest Whitaker. He breaks the fourth wall whenever he is on screen to me for some reason. And I couldn't understand him.

Blue Leader and that door gunner were the best though.

Thats just crazy talk, I present Ep 1,2 and 3 as evidence. The Star Wars Holiday Special was not a movie, and the Ewok TV movie was the worst Star Wars movie.

The SWHS came out when I was a freshman in high school and I had to decide to stay home and watch it or go to the weekly HS dance - went to the dance thinking that the special was going to be on every year like Rudolph, and this was before VCRs were mainstream, so I didn't get to see it until a couple of years later when a friend had a VHS of it. Oh it was awful watching Chewies grandpa get all excited for Diahann Carroll.

Rogue One is made immensely better by reading the companion novel 'Catalyst'. Knowing the back story of Galen Erso and Orson Krennic helped enhance my enjoyment of the movie.

That being said you shouldn't have to read a novel for character development for a movie. The pacing and lack of shallow characters hurt, but I still think it's a good movie. If all the future stand alone movies can be as good as Rogue One or better I'll be happy.

Archived