• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Luke still in the concussion protocol...

SgtJoo

1 minute ago, Harbingers said:

I don’t understand it. He had a concussion, than he didn’t, now he’s been in the protocol nearly 2 weeks. 

I absolutely understand airing on the side of caution and am proud the panthers are doing it. 

I just don’t get what the fug is going on.

I think it's obvious. Fans were distraught so the team prematurely claimed nothing happened. He had a concussion. 

Just now, MechaZain said:

I think it's obvious. Fans were distraught so the team prematurely claimed nothing happened. He had a concussion. 

I don’t think the team ever claimed nothing happened.

That was an ESPN report courtesy of Schefter iirc....the team consistently stated Luke had a concussion, or at least concussion-like symptoms.

18 minutes ago, mjligon said:

I don’t think the team ever claimed nothing happened.

That was an ESPN report courtesy of Schefter iirc....the team consistently stated Luke had a concussion, or at least concussion-like symptoms.

I could be recalling incorrectly. I thought the twitter account shared that headline. There's been no confirmation of a concussion though, just repeating that he's in protocol and Wilks saying he's "perfectly fine".

And to put on my tin foil hat on for a moment...if I wanted to keep the fanbase from panicking, leaking to Schefter that he's fine would absolutely be the best way to get around the protocol. Everything about this says he had another concussion and it seems like the team is going out of their way to create uncertainty around that.

45 minutes ago, SgtJoo said:

29b26222703fad268d616e7490e9023b.png

This wording is strange. RR said in the presser yesterday that he believed that Luke was meeting with the INC. All Newton does is repeat that. He goes on to say that he remains in the protocol. Duh. He will stay there until he is cleared by the INC.

37 minutes ago, mjligon said:

It doesn’t say he wasn’t cleared? So basically there’s no update to report?

Looks that way with a strict reading. Looks like click bait since there's no new news there. 

30 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

I don’t understand it. He had a concussion, than he didn’t, now he’s been in the protocol nearly 2 weeks. 

I absolutely understand airing on the side of caution and am proud the panthers are doing it. 

I just don’t get what the fug is going on.

See the cornucopia of threads on the subject. I explained it in detail way too many times. He was either Dx'd with one, or it could not be ruled out. There's no erring on the side of caution here, only adherence to the protocol. Once in, you MUST complete the stages...PERIOD.

For a recap, contact with another player or object (e.g., sled) is strictly prohibited until stage  5. Luke was seen late last week in a video hitting a sled/dummy-like contraption. If the team is following the rules, that means that he progressed to stage five:

After the player-patient has established his ability to participate in non-contact football activity...without recurrence of signs and symptoms and his neurocognitive testing is back to baseline, the team physician may clear him for full football activity involving contact.

So, assuming the object Luke was hitting means he is now stage five:

If the player-patient tolerates full participation practice and contact without signs or symptoms and the team physician concludes that the player-patient’s concussion has resolved, he may clear the player-patient to return to full participation

But then, this has to happen:

Upon clearance by the team physician, the player must be examined by the INC... The INC must be provided a copy of all relevant reports and tests, including the player-patient’s neurocognitive tests and interpretations. 

If the INC confirms the team physician’s conclusion that the player-patient’s concussion has resolved, the player-patient is considered cleared and may participate in his Club’s next game or practice.

Therefore, if Luke did meet with the independent consultant for clearance (as opposed to an interim consult), he should have walked out with an answer: cleared, or remain in the protocol and/or get further eval. No way to tell from the Newton blurb because it conveys no new info, and nothing upon which a conclusion can be drawn. Whether he practices tomorrow, and what he does, will provide some clues, if not answers.

I love watching Luke play. He's probably my favorite defensive player in the league.  But, I'd rather see him hang it up now than end up in situation like Dave Duerson, Junior Seau, or Mike Webster.

I'm beginning to think we're cursed as a team when it comes to our MLB spot. Dan Morgan is pretty much forgotten by everyone outside of the Carolina's, but he was in Luke's class before the concussions began to take their toll. Morgan still holds the record for most tackles in a Super Bowl with 18.

Reminds of the QB situation in Dallas. The 2 best QB's the Cowboys ever had (Staubach and Aikman) combined to win 5 Super Bowls and both had to retire prematurely because of concussions.

4 minutes ago, Moorgan said:

I remember it as 25. Have I been remembering wrong all these years?

I thought it was over 20 myself. I went to a website and they had the total at 18 which seemed a little low to me as well. I'll look into later today and try to find the official box score.

37 minutes ago, Moorgan said:

I remember it as 25. Have I been remembering wrong all these years?

Luke holds the record for any game at 26, 25 was the previous record and I'm pretty damn sure it wasn't Morgan in the SB. 18 sounds right to be honest. And I think Minter may have had like 15 that game too. He may have had the record if not for Morgan that game. Those two played lights out. We should've won that game.

Just now, thomas96 said:

We should've won that game.

Deep...

...sigh.

That game affected me emotionally on a way too deep level. I had to keep myself from getting too emotionally invested after that. Try to remember that nothing the team does or doesn't do has no actual effect on my life. But yeah, Wikipedia says 18. I just always remember it being 25 and that number stuck. 18 it is...and...sigh.

Archived