• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ron Rivera "Honorable Mention Coach of the Year"

PantherNation123

Hilarious article on ESPN, where Rivera gets honorable mention for Coach of the Year, alongside Belichick, Carroll, Tomlin and Mike Zimmer.

I'm by no means an extreme Rivera hater, and I think Shula needs more blame than him... but to say honorable mention Coach of the Year with his outrageous coaching decisions is crazy to say the least... (punting on the 35 yard line when down to Saints, not going for it on 4th yesterday until Cam blew up, and absurdly dumb challenges, just to name a few). 

giphy.gif

I may be wrong. Imagine that. But is it not true that every coach makes mistakes?

And if every coach makes mistakes. Why is Rivera held to a higher standard?

I guess Panther fans demand perfection. It is the only explanation I can see. 

How about looking at from this perspective. After the first two years, Rivera has only missed the playoffs once. He took over a team that had won one game, and within two years has built a perennial playoff team.

I don't see the big deal.

2 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

I may be wrong. Imagine that. But is it not true that every coach makes mistakes?

How about looking at from this perspective. After the first two years, Rivera has only missed the playoffs once. He took over a team that had won one game, and within two years has built a perennial playoff team.

Are you related to Rivera? Are you on his pay roll?

You have to be this most delusional person on this forum. 

Every coach makes mistakes.  great coaches don't keep making same mistakes.   

At some point in his career, he needs to figure out why we need to waste time outs so we don't get a delay of game.  or proper clock management in general.  how to keep the foot on the gas pedal.

2 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

I dont think you can count the 7-8-1 season as a great coaching season.  I get what youre saying, but his decision to stick with Shula is his biggest weakness.  Also, game management has never been his strong suit.  Is this reason to fire him?  IMO, only if we dont do well in the post season, our offense stays anemic, and he sticks by Shula.

9 minutes ago, Daddy_Uncle said:

he's not nearly as bad as some of you want to make him out to be. He is one of the most respected coaches in the league. I just wish he could fire members of his coaching staff if they aren't living up to their expectations. That's literally my only knock on him

If thats literally your only knock on him, then you have a very low bar for a head coach.   Again, I'm not an extreme Rivera hater, and I am fine with him as our head coach.  However, the conservative approach he takes until his job is on the line, has cost us or nearly cost us many games.  Sounds like you're a fan of punting on the 35 yard line when losing though, so tough to reason with you

The people handing out those awards mid season and the real ones end of season won't know a thing about his bumbles and silly poo he does we end up around 13-3/12-4ish he's gonna be in the middle of the discussion another year which I hope comes true. 

11 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

Are you related to Rivera? Are you on his pay roll?

You have to be this most delusional person on this forum. 

Was anything I said wrong? 

So...because I stated facts that back Rivera. I am not only a lackey, but delusional? 

Has it gotten to the point where facts are now inadmissible?

10 minutes ago, jfra78 said:

I dont think you can count the 7-8-1 season as a great coaching season.  I get what youre saying, but his decision to stick with Shula is his biggest weakness.  Also, game management has never been his strong suit.  Is this reason to fire him?  IMO, only if we dont do well in the post season, our offense stays anemic, and he sticks by Shula.

I will give you Shula. But...Shula runs a Rivera Offense. Not sure what the answer is. Even if we somehow got rid of Shula. What kind of OC would Rivera hire? Better the devil you know.

I would also like to add. We are winning. Is it really in Rivera's best interest to change OCs now?

Lol it's that moment when you realize people have no idea how bad a head coach Rivera really is. Just last game he was going to kick a field goal had Newton not flipped and he stopped Shula and actually good play calling to revert back into a shell with a 10 point lead. 

Archived