• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Off season questions. #1. Matt Kalil.

Toomers

Just wanted to start some discussion on questions heading into 2018. Please assume that Hurney is gone and tell what you would do as GM. Doesn’t matter how we got here now, just how we move forward.

First, and foremost, what do we owe Matt Kalil. His contract is one of the biggest mysteries of modern times. So many different reports ranging all over the place. The latest is two different versions on OTC and Sportrac. Unfortunately, I think OTC is correct. Kalil has a 10M bonus coming 3/19/18.  Which would put his cap hits as shown below. The only other alternative would be to take the 10M hit this year but that would put his cap hit this year at about 14.2M and it would still cost another 7.2M in dead cap to cut him after 2018. So that’s not happening. Please someone find something that shows another option. But I don’t see how we move forward without having a plan to take care of this. 

Year Age Base Salary (Guaranteed) Bonuses Cap
Number
Cap %  
Dead Money & Cap Savings
Cut (pre-June 1)Cut (post-June 1)Trade (pre-June 1)Trade (post-June 1)RestructureExtension 
Prorated Roster Workout Other
Total   $29,500,000 $22,000,000 $3,000,000 $1,000,000 $0 $55,500,000    
2017 28 $1,000,000 $1,000,000 $2,400,000 $0 $0 $0 $3,400,000 2.0%  
$24,000,000
($20,600,000)
2018 29 $1,000,000 $1,000,000 $4,900,000 $750,000 $250,000 $0 $6,900,000 3.9%  
$20,600,000
($13,700,000)
2019 30 $7,000,000 $4,900,000 $750,000 $250,000 $0 $12,900,000 6.8%  
$14,700,000
($1,800,000)
2020 31 $10,000,000 $4,900,000 $750,000 $250,000 $0 $15,900,000 8.0%  
$9,800,000
$6,100,000
2021 32 $10,500,000 $4,900,000 $750,000 $250,000 $0 $16,400,000 --  
$4,900,000
$11,500,000

Ugh. That contract literally has Jerry Richardson’s fingerprints all over it. 

Either way, we’ll probably be stuck with Matt Kalil next year as well. I mean he’s not atrociously bad with Andrew Norwell next to him, but I don’t believe he’s proving he’s worth his contract right now.

36 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

Either way, we’ll probably be stuck with Matt Kalil next year as well. I mean he’s not atrociously bad with Andrew Norwell next to him, but I don’t believe he’s proving he’s worth his contract right now.

Draft his replacement in Orlando Brown. Release him after next season.  

23 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

I lean that way too on the JR thing, but until someone comes out and says otherwise, it’s still on DG. Either way,  it’ll be an anchor for awhile

We are not getting a LT that could replace kalil where we will be drafting... the only chance we’ve had to draft a starter quality LT in the last 5 Years was last year and we didn’t. It’s free agency again or bust. The absolute best case scenario if we drafted a LT would be to have Kalil be a stopgap while he develops for 2 Years. 

This same question comes every year and the answer is always the same. We did something new last year that obviously hasn’t worked out as well as we’d hope. But the problem has only gotten murkier since. 

He's worth another year.  He's not great, but he's not as terrible as some people here think, either.  He's also improved over the course of the season, so there's the whole chemistry thing to take into account.

I think Hurney will grab at least one tackle in the draft, and maybe we'll get lucky with his development.  Maybe Moton is the answer.  Maybe we move Williams over in 2019 and start Moton at RT.  Like it or not, we have more pressing needs than LT right now.

Oh, and Matt Kalil is a David Gettleman signing all day long.  And he wasn't a bad one--we are really on the hook for just two years, and that's how long he will likely last here unless he continues to improve.

Good question. Not surprising that Kalil has underperformed based upon his recent past history. I was not surprised that the Panthers pursued him, however I was shocked at the amount of money that they offered him.  Unfortunately, I think the Panthers are stuck with him due to the contract.

In any case, due to the inadequacies of our left tackle position, signing Norwell should be a priority. I’m sure Norwell makes Kalil better, so I’m terrified to see how he would perform without Norwell

3 minutes ago, Cyberjag said:

He's worth another year.  He's not great, but he's not as terrible as some people here think, either.  He's also improved over the course of the season, so there's the whole chemistry thing to take into account.

I think Hurney will grab at least one tackle in the draft, and maybe we'll get lucky with his development.  Maybe Moton is the answer.  Maybe we move Williams over in 2019 and start Moton at RT.  Like it or not, we have more pressing needs than LT right now.

Oh, and Matt Kalil is a David Gettleman signing all day long.  And he wasn't a bad one--we are really on the hook for just two years, and that's how long he will likely last here unless he continues to improve.

Wasn’t a bad one? If we cut him after 2 years, we are on the hook for 14.7M in dead money for 2019. That will affect us for more than the two seasons he sucked while here

Really have no choice but to ride out next year with him and hope he improves. Honestly the discussion about him is incredibly hyperbolic and just an extension of arguments over the justification for DG's firing. The truth is outside of a couple games against elite defensive ends (namely Cam Jordan) where he got absolutely worked, he's been average to good. Certainly better than the revolving door we had last year and probably a tad better than Oher's 2015.

Archived