• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bucky Brooks on Why Norv Turner's a brilliant hire for the Panthers

trueblade

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000905527/article/dak-prescott-has-tons-of-potential-norv-turners-perfect-for-cam

Emphasis and bolding are mine.

Why Norv Turner's a brilliant hire for the Panthers -- and especially Cam Newton: If Cam Newton is really serious about becoming an icon at his position -- something he's said in the past -- we should see his game evolve in 2018 under new offensive coordinator Norv Turner. The Carolina Panthers snatched up the 65-year-old offensive wizard on Thursday to retool the attack and help No. 1 play like a top-five quarterback.

Now, I know it sounds crazy to suggest that a former league MVP isn't already regarded as an elite player, but it is hard to make that assertion with Newton, based on his maddening inconsistencies as a passer. Since entering the league in 2011, Newton ranks as the worst passer in the NFL, with a 58.5 percent completion rate (min. 1,500 attempts). In the league today, the 60 percent mark is kinda viewed as the Mendoza Line. And Newton's fresh off a season where he posted lackluster marks in TD-to-INT ratio (22:16) and passer rating (80.7).

But No. 1's issues as a passer are deeper than those surface-level numbers. Newton ranks as one of this season's worst throwers on third-down(i.e., the money down), with a 53 percent completion rate (third-worst in the NFL in 2017), a 59.8 passer rating (second-worst) and 12 interceptions (worst). With No. 1 also posting the largest average passer-rating swing (41.1) from game to game this season, the veteran's inconsistencies as a passer needed to be addressed to help the Panthers' offense operate at a championship level.

"Cam is so talented that he should be one of the elite players in the league, but he hasn't been consistent enough as a passer," a former Panthers' scout told me. "He needs to be pushed a little, and I don't know if the other guys (offensive coordinator Mike Shula and quarterback coach Ken Dorsey, both of whom were relieved of their duties on Wednesday) could challenge him enough to get him to take that next step."

That's why the decision to bring on Turner is a brilliant move for the Panthers. The veteran coach is viewed as one of the top QB developers in the game, as evidenced by his work with Troy Aikman,Philip Rivers and others throughout his career. As an Ernie Zampese disciple, Turner is a proponent of a downfield passing game that features a number of in-breaking routes (slants, skinny posts and digs). In addition, he is a big fan of a power-based running game and complementary passing attack that creates plenty of big-play opportunities for the quarterback.

Looking at Newton's skills, the Panthers' new system should work well for a strong-armed thrower adept at pushing the ball to the far corners of the field with outstanding zip and velocity. Say what you want about Cam's accuracy and ball placement, but there's no denying his ability to throw darts to every area of the field. There are few NFL passers who can match No. 1's raw ability, and Turner's scheme should showcase his skills as a passer -- if Newton completely buys into the preparation and dirty work needed to be a great quarterback.

That brings me back to Turner and why he could be the coach to get Newton to take his game up a notch as a passer. He is known for his attention to detail and he has the right personality to prod his naturally gifted signal-caller to focus on the finer points of the game. Think of it as the wise old man in the barbershop dropping nuggets on the youngsters hanging on his every word.

But here's the thing: The 28-year-old Newton has to want to evolve as a quarterback and become more of a thrower than a runner at this stage of his career. Remember, he is coming off a season where he led the Panthers in rushing for the third time in his career. That's not ideal, but those running skills can certainly add a dimension to an offense.

"He's never had an athlete like Cam at quarterback," said one long-time defensive coordinator who currently works for an AFC team. "It will be interesting to see how he utilizes those skills."

While I don't expect Turner to feature Newton as much as a runner, I do believe the QB's athleticism and elusiveness can help him erase some play-calling mistakes. With Turner inheriting an offense that features his preferred cast of weapons (big-bodied receiver, productive tight end and pass-catching running back), he will give Newton every opportunity to succeed as a QB1. Now it's up to No. 1 to remake his game and take advantage of the scheme.

5 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Stats can be deceiving, but in this can they are very telling.

The fact that most of his interceptions come on third down to me is an indictment on him but the team as a whole. Third down is his last chance to stay on the field and the team is often in situations where he has to try to force a 3rd down throw. 

I’ve never been a fan of completion percentage or passer rating which can all be inflated by system. They don’t tell you poo about a quarterback.

Just now, AceBoogie said:

The fact that most of his interceptions come on third down to me is an indictment on him but the team as a whole. Third down is his last chance to stay on the field and the team is often in situations where he has to try to force a 3rd down throw. 

I’ve never been a fan of completion percentage or passer rating which can all be inflated by system. They don’t tell you poo about a quarterback.

Lighten up dude.  I'm a fan of Cam.  For all his God given talents he still needs coaching.  You do want him to be GOAT don't you?  I know I do.

Archived