• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jeremy Hill - Potential Buy Low RB Option for Norv

Soul Rebel

Dude was a beast coming out his rookie year, but fell off recently. He was misused as a east-west- runner, rather than a power back, and suffered some injury woes.  To his credit (not for the Bengals in 2017) he opted to hit IR and repair his ankle that was giving him problems, thus giving him more time to fully recover and be back to 100% prior to FA. 

6'2", 236-lb back that is only 25 years old and has shown flashes of what, IMO, Turner is looking for in our backfield. 

I know our FA money is limited with Norwell, Star and hopefully a veteran WR (I'm talking to you Marqise Lee), but could Hill's market value be in line for us to take a bite?  You take away an injury plagued 2017, and you have a very productive/young back that was not properly used.  His 3 previous years before injury, he averaged 223 rushes - 918 yds - 9.75 TD/season. With Gio Bernard and now Joe Mixon toting the rock so much, Hill has a ton of tread left on his 25-year old tires. 

If Shula was here, I'd hold back, but with Turner alluding to CMC not being the de facto RB1, I am interested.  Just wondering what the market will bear for him. A rough 2017 combined with another solid RB draft could lower his pricetag quite a bit. 

1 minute ago, chknwing said:

running back with a surgically repaired ankle?  I think I will pass.

I'd bring him in if the money is right, could make Stewart expendable, but I'd still like to see a back drafted. Fozzy, and CAP I'm not sure if they'll be around as we move forward. 

5 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Not a bad thought. Ingram got very little bite wise before resigning with NO. Hill isn’t going to command much, but could be a nice deal. He might be more interested for a little less to come here and prove it. Turner being here might make a RB more inclined to join us a bit cheaper.

I love CMC and I think he’ll continue to do better, but Stewart was so bad this year outside of a couple games. CMC improves his ypc to 4.7 in the second half once the OL started run blocking but Stewart didn’t really. 5 of his 8 second half games were 3.09 ypc or under (2 under 2 ypc). Outside of the one run for 60 against Minnesota which was all blocking (gigantic hole), his best game was Miami with over 6 ypc. Only problem was that was actually under our team ypc average of over 8 ypc. 

exactly. I think Stewart, CJ, and Russell Shepard should all be very obvious cuts unless Stew takes a pretty damn cheap cut and resign. I could see Stew being cut and offered a team friendly deal and reduced role, up to him to accept it or not. 

Bengals RBs have been interesting. They’ve drafted 3 guys who have looked like studs recently but they keep seeming to toss them out before anyone can get a real foothold as the lead guy.

Hill could be a good low risk high reward guy. I think he has a relationship with Trai too from LSU days.

I’d bring him in as a low buy option. I would still draft a RB and not hand the job over to Hill. Outside of his rookie season his numbers are pretty pedestrian. But he’s young and worth a look if the money is right. If anything he can be a goal line/short yardage back.

One thing is for sure. JStew needs to be cut. Old, expensive, injury prone and his better days are behind him. Some on here are emotionally attached and it’s time to move on.

7 minutes ago, saints4lifeagain said:

I was high on Hill coming out. Think he's been misused a bit in Cincy.

Agreed. I think any player in Cincy outside of maybe AJ Green is hard to gauge, but I would think if there was any bit of success there, it can be elevated in most other destinations. 

His strength is being used the way Blount, Bell and Ingram are used... between the tackles and don't try to impose a finesse game on him. He is also surprisingly decent as a receiving option at times too. 

10 minutes ago, Cdpg said:

Thoughts on Carlos Hyde if you can get him for the price as Hill?

Another veteran option that fits the style of RB we need to bring in to replace J Stew. I think his pricetag could be a little higher than Hill, but def an option if the market keeps these guys in check. 

Archived