• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers continue to hold out for Hurney

Mr. Scot

4 minutes ago, Cyberjag said:

I would be pretty surprised that the ownership group would allow him to make that happen without their endorsement given the upcoming changes to the majority owner position.  Best thing to do, in my opinion, would be to let him continue in the interim role until the new Owner buys the team, and then let that new owner make decisions.  If JR hires Hurney, then it's just going to end up costing the team a lot of money to buy out his contract once the team is sold.

This. I thought he was under contract until June. Why are they doing anything right now? Only reason it makes sense is if JR is trying to set him up for a fat payday before he sells the team.

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Seems like all has been quiet on the interview front after the Fritz Pollard Alliance said that we're all clear on the Rooney Rule front. Seems pretty obvious to me that if the NFL can get Marty cleared then he's the new GM. Pretty much like we all assumed from the get-go. Hurney will almost certainly oversee free agency and the draft this year, but I'd be surprised if new ownership doesn't give him the boot soon. This sucks, but it wasn't at all unexpected.

This isn't a Rooney Rule issue. This is a harassment issue. The NFL is thinking "how would OUR league look in this #MeToo climate when a owner confirmed paying out harassment settlements just happens to hire another executive who was accused of harassment". This is about the NFL protecting their brand. 

Also keep in mind Hurney's contact runs until June anyway so he will probably be Lame duck status anyway

9 minutes ago, Cam El said:

This. I thought he was under contract until June. Why are they doing anything right now? Only reason it makes sense is if JR is trying to set him up for a fat payday before he sells the team.

The interim tag was just a did to avoid having dinner with you anyone else. Richardson likely would have tried to keep her knee interim for years, but the Pollard alliance called bulls--t. 

The Panthers were forced to hastily interview other candidates to comply with the Rooney Rule, but that was a sham. Pretty much everybody acknowledges they never really meant to give anyone else a chance. 

The NFL was reportedly trying to force them to actually give outside candidates a shot, but it doesn't seem to have worked.

1 minute ago, The Natural said:

That's an apples to oranges comparison and you know it. I think changing general managers might be a little more complicated and involved than a coordinator.

Keeping a terrible general manager in place for the sake of continuity when you have an opportunity to hire someone who can do a great job is the absolute height of stupidity.

10 minutes ago, The Righteous Troll said:

I agree I'm pretty sure she was trying to get more alimony since he was likey going to be GM. I'm sure he won't be in any more legal trouble but he can't be the GM. Especially not after the Richardson stuff...

In that context yes he can...

Archived