• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Marty Hurney Has Been Reinstated

bobsfoodbasics

4 minutes ago, Paa Langfart said:

I'm calling BS on this. Show me the quote of BB saying it happened.  And who was the other "source"?  More of your anonymous "insider" information no doubt. 

Looking at Hurney past draft trades, is it really all that unbelievable? It's well accepted that Hurney was trying to trade up in order to take Clausen. What could he have been offering? He showed multiple times that he was willing to trade a higher round pick in the next year's draft in order to take a player he really wanted. He did it for Everette Brown, he did it for Armanti Edwards right off the top of my head. He also traded a future 1st to take Jeff Otah. 

Everything about Hurney's past says that it's highly likely he was dangling a future 1st rounder to try to draft THE Jimmy Clausen. Pickles himself.

2 minutes ago, rbsponsel52 said:

There may be a stipulation by JR if the new owner that buys team will state "Before you sign paperwork you must accept Hurney as the GM (cannot fire him)  or paperwork will be null and void.

What, Jerry is gonna write them a check for the billions he just got paid? He really wants Hurney as GM, but he doesn't want Hurney as GM THAT bad. I don't even know if such a stipulation would be legal and unforceable. 

3 hours ago, luke262 said:

Reinstated as 'interim' gm. I'd imagine this has no bearing on search for new gm

He isn't going anywhere. Dog and pony show. The hell with this whole fiasco of a franchise. The more things change the more they stay the same.

22 minutes ago, Paa Langfart said:

I'm calling BS on this. Show me the quote of BB saying it happened.  And who was the other "source"?  More of your anonymous "insider" information no doubt. 

The first comment is actually about you.

Believe it or not, people who work for the Panthers don't live in another dimension. They have neighbors. They take part in common activities. They interact with people...well, people other than you, anyway.

3 minutes ago, Wolfcop said:

This is the best outcome for this franchise at the moment. I have no problem with replacing Hurney after the Draft, but he needs to be here for the time being. Any other outcome is throwing a new GM to the wolves.

The other candidates were all also preparing for the draft for their respective teams and working from the same talent pool as Hurney. The only transition they'd have had to make was getting to know our own roster, and there was plenty of time for that.

Putting a guy who's demonstrated repeatedly that he's bad at the job in place to make decisions that can affect the Panthers for several years down the road is never "the best outcome".

Archived