• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

TD’s replacement?

Reebis21

Ok I know we are all pretty familiar with Shaquem Griffin, LB from UCF. I’ve seen him go anywhere between the end of 2nd round to early 5th. So essentially, I have zero clue where he gets drafted. Also realize a lot of us talk about the SB window and a lot of that can be contributed to Thomas Davis not playing beyond this year...it was always TD, Kalil and Olsen brought up in those “window” discussions. You could also throw Peppers in there now too. With that said, I know finding TD’s replacement isn’t imperative to this season.

BUT...my question is what are your thoughts on Griffin and what’s the highest pick you’d use on him? After watching him play the last 2 seasons, I keep secretly finding myself hoping to see him mocked to us at one of those 3rd round picks even tho I clearly recognize he’s not a need right now. I don’t know if I’m caught up in the “feel good” story or if I’m just truly blown away at his motor/determination mixed with his skill set. All I know is the thought of seeing Luke in the middle with TD/Griffin on one side and Shaq on the other, would be awesome.

I’m fully prepared to hear people call this a stupid idea, but wanted to ask your thoughts anyway. 

4666D5FA-1546-4C80-A168-4802D43D1E77.jpeg.7f47f2d28cee1b16eff7d804f39888e4.jpeg

That guy is no Thomas Davis . . . he's no Shaq Thompson.  He had an ok season - averaging less than 6 tackles per game while playing against decidedly inferior competition with the exception of the bowl.  We had Ben Boulware in camp last year - and he didn't end up making it.  Much better college player.

I'm glad the guy got his chance to play college ball and get an education.  Good on him.  It's a feel good story but we need NFL players.

8 minutes ago, BrianS said:

That guy is no Thomas Davis . . . he's no Shaq Thompson.  He had an ok season - averaging less than 6 tackles per game while playing against decidedly inferior competition with the exception of the bowl.  We had Ben Boulware in camp last year - and he didn't end up making it.  Much better college player.

I'm glad the guy got his chance to play college ball and get an education.  Good on him.  It's a feel good story but we need NFL players.

I get the argument of “Shaq is TDs replacement b/c we run with the nickel a lot anyway with 2 LBs our there” and I also know Griffin isn’t as good as TD...but to say Boulware is better?? An undrafted guy for a reason...hell, signing the local Clemson champ was just as much a “feel good” story if anything 

4 minutes ago, Reebis21 said:

I get the argument of “Shaq is TDs replacement b/c we run with the nickel a lot anyway with 2 LBs our there” and I also know Griffin isn’t as good as TD...but to say Boulware is better?? An undrafted guy for a reason...hell, signing the local Clemson champ was just as much a “feel good” story if anything 

Agree

Clemson fanboys salivating over Boulware is nothing new.

He sucks.

16 minutes ago, BrianS said:

Boulware sucks 

22 minutes ago, mjligon said:

Boulware sucks 

Yes, my point exactly.  As college players, these two (Boulware and Griffin) are statistically almost identical.  Boulware played against FAR superior competition, thus I'd rate him as a better player than Griffin, which is exactly what I said.  Boulware was a better college player.

Boulware got a chance as a highly regarded UDFA and couldn't make it here (or anywhere else).  Why would we spend a draft pick on a statistically similar player, who played against weaker competition?

1 minute ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Boulware was literally the worst linebacker at Panthers camp last year. All the drive in the world, just didn't have the brains or the brawn for the job. 

Probably will end up being a position coach in college after coaching in high school for a few seasons.

Archived