• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Converted OT Matt Kalil's $10M Option Bonus Into A Signing Bonus Guaranteeing He'll Be On Roster In 2018

bobsfoodbasics

6 minutes ago, Cracka McNasty said:

I THINK by doing this then it would allow us to cut bait with him in 2019 and lower the cap penalty if we did so. So while there are no short term savings, it puts us in a position to cut him more easily if he sucks or he's injured, etc. 

More easily cut only if he's suspended or retired per Yates.

No indication he's easier to cut in general. In fact, Spotrac disagrees with you on that point.

Technically, they just made him harder to cut.

If I understand it correctly, converting this to a signing bonus will spread the cap hit across the years of his contract creating some more space this year but less flexibility down the road because it pushes guaranteed money into future years creating more dead money in future years.

FYI, this is the exact type of poo that Hurney did last time that tanked our cap. Doesn't look like he learned much in his time away.

23 minutes ago, Cracka McNasty said:

It's a future move for 2019 if need be. 

Also no replacement for Kalil yet? 

Now one thing I know is that football is a #'s game, but the DL still makes it even by forcing a Guard or Center to help each other against overpowering DTs. 

But if you have a center(Moton) with size, skills, athleticism, & power to take on any DTs & NTs on 1v1 situations this frees up your OGs to do all kind of pulling plays, screens, etc etc giving the offense basically a 12th man on the field.

@Jeremy Igo

Just now, Ace_Aladdin said:

2 out of 5 still leaves a CAP space for 1 more guy aka Norwell

Nice try though.

I'm not "trying" anything. You asked who the big contracts will be. Turner and Williams almost certainly. Given the stunt that Hurney just pulled with Kalil's restructure we'll see how that ends up playing out too. Very well could be Turner, Williams, and Kalil or a big chunk of dead cap due to Kalil's release.

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

I'm not "trying" anything. You asked who the big contracts will be. Turner and Williams almost certainly. Given the stunt that Hurney just pulled with Kalil's restructure we'll see how that ends up playing out too. Very well could be Turner, Williams, and Kalil or a big chunk of dead cap due to Kalil's release.

Turner , Wiliams, Norwell

All top tier Run blockers & Pass protection.

7 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If I understand it correctly, converting this to a signing bonus will spread the cap hit across the years of his contract creating some more space this year but less flexibility down the road because it pushes guaranteed money into future years creating more dead money in future years.

FYI, this is the exact type of poo that Hurney did last time that tanked our cap. Doesn't look like he learned much in his time away.

This is how I'm looking at it as well.

I cannot believe that we have him back in the building playing checkers.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I realize you believe your opinion is more valuable than that of the people that cover the team, but I'm going to take their word for it.

Once again an extreme characterization you are so found of. I said I  think they are wrong about the cap hit which is why the dead cap went up to 14 million. If the option were  just exercised.  it wouldn't raise the dead money. The only think that does increase dead cap money is deferred guaranteed money which would offer cap savings now.  

13 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Most big options like this are designed to be converted to signing bonus. It was going to be paid anyway and was going to convert either to a signing bonus or option. It was fully guaranteed in either case. I still think it will reduce his cap hit. Gettleman did the same thing so it is very common. 

12 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Been looking for more info to try and figure out why this would make sense. So far nobody has given any indication that this will help us cap wise. It's basically just a conversion of one type of bonus to another type of bonus.

The one difference that was mentioned by Yates is that while the option bonus was apparently not guaranteed, the signing bonus is, and is received up front rather than later.

Why do this? Still not sure, other than to benefit Kalil.

Archived