• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Realistic Draft Tiers for Panthers at 24

Soul Rebel

As the draft nears closer, combine results are digested and pro-days are off-and-running, I think a clearer picture of potential players is coming into focus for us. I've broken down 3 tiers of prospects for our selection at 24.....

1 - Players that fill a need/want but won't last until 24

2 - Players that fill a need/want and are slotted to go in our range

3 - Players that fill a need/want but might be a bit early to select at 24

Obviously drafting Chubb, Barkley or James would be ideal, but it ain't happening. So I've tried to compile a group that crosses off need, while meshing value and BPA if possible. I think these 10 players will be realistically in play and barring an amazing trade up for Derwin James, I think these are the 10 guys that make the most sense.

Here we go:

TIER 1 - PLAYERS THAT FILL NEED BUT WON'T LAST UNTIL 24

• Calvin Ridley WR - Best WR in the draft (arguably) and would be the exact type of WR needed to complete our corps. Not the fastest or youngest, but all around, he is a stud that was underutilized at Alabama and shows up on tape. Probably goes to BAL or SEA...and maybe even LAR to replace Watkins.
  • Darius Guice  RB - A devastating runner that would be a perfect compliment to CMC and give Cam a 3-down back to keep the QB from being the team's top rusher. Punishing, quick and the kind of RB that teams can build an offense around. Might be hard to justify after getting CMC last year.
  • Harold Landry DE - I think he is this year's version of Derrick Barnett. On paper, he doesn't have ideal height, but his long arms and super-athletic style of play make him a beast off the edge. He is a pure edge rushing machine that would fill a long-term need after Peppers retires, and an aging Addison that will slow down. 

TIER 2 - PLAYERS THAT FILL NEED IN OUR RANGE AT 24

• Will Hernandez LG - One of two guys that I think are likely to be our selection. Never a sexy pick, but this OG is a destructive IOL that is a day 1 starter and has All-Pro guard written all over his future. The dropoff from Norwell to him will be almost non-existent and on a much cheaper deal. Cam needs protection with Ryan retiring after 2018 and who the hell knows about Matt at LT.
  • Justin Reid FS - The "other" guy that I think makes the most sense for us at 24. We've ignored a top pick at the SAF position forever and getting a player like Reid would be a huge get for our secondary. He is everything you want in your FS - athletic, ballhawk, tackler, versatile to line up all over and very intelligent. 
  • Isaiah Wynn LG - Arguably as talented as Hernandez and was a stalwart on the UGA offensive line. Capable of playing all over the OL, Wynn would give us a nasty LG capable of being a cornerstone at the position for a long time.
  • Billy Price C/G - Some may not want him at 24 due to the injury he suffered at the combine, but Price is a helluva player. Mean and versatile he would give us a great Norwell replacement, but also step in and be Ryan Kalil's heir to the C throne after 2018. He's from a great program that has churned out OL talent and the injury should not affect his training camp play.
  • D.J. Moore WR - I might be in the minority, but I feel like there are only 2 first-round eligible WRs in this class, and Moore is the other to Calvin Ridley. Others like Sutton or Washington, but D.J. Moore would be an amazing get for our offense and give us a Smitty/Diggs clone. I don't think the Panthers are looking to add a WR in R1, but if they are Moore would look spectacular connecting with Newton. 

TIER 3 - PLAYERS THAT FILL A NEED BUT MIGHT BE TOO EARLY OF A SELECTION AT 24

• Sam Hubbard DE - A very talented edge rusher that would rotate well this year and eventually be our every-down DE. Hubbard looks the part and had a lot of respectful comparisons to Joey Bosa from some experts. He looks like a later first round/early day two pick, and it might not present the value that we need if others are on the board. The player isn't the problem, it's the value of going at 24.
  • Sonny Michel RB - Again, I'm in the minority here I think as having Michel as the third-best back as most others like Jones. However, Michel is a complete RB capable of being the number one rusher in Carolina and a dangerous duo with CMC. Chubb is nice, but Michel was the better UGA back, IMO. Probably a bit early at 24, and with us taking CMC top-10 last year. 

Gun to my head, I think it comes down to Hernandez or Reid at 24. There are other good talents at both LG and SAF later in the draft, so it's not like either position can't be filled later on. Both would come in and start day one. I'd lean Hernandez right now and come back with Deshon Elliott or Marcus Allen later in the draft, but either selection at 24 would drastically improve a weakness.

Good thoughts, put some time into that one.

I think our FA signings have given us the great opportunity to go with BPA that's not a K, DT, or LB. No need to overload those positions, rookies wouldn't be able to get enough exposure there. Anything can happen.

I like Reid and Hernandez as well.

I 'm not keen on Harold Landry. I haven't seen many mocks which have him in the top 20. I read he was a better fit for a 3-4. If we go DE EJiofor and Sweat strike me as better fits later.

Yes to Josh Jackson, Justin Reid and Hernandez. My only problem with the latter would be that it means Moton riding the pine for another season which doesnt make much sense for a former second round pick.

5 minutes ago, Seoul_Panther said:

I 'm not keen on Harold Landry. I haven't seen many mocks which have him in the top 20. I read he was a better fit for a 3-4. If we go DE EJiofor and Sweat strike me as better fits later.

Yes to Josh Jackson, Justin Reid and Hernandez. My only problem with the latter would be that it means Moton riding the pine for another season which doesnt make much sense for a former second round pick.

I said a while back i think there should be a open competition for the LT spot. If moton shows he can play he should start over Kalil, i dont care what he is being paid. We already know kalil was never worth the money he was given so why guarantee him spot? 

At the end of the day the staff MUST have some sort plan for moton though. I cant see the stupidity in wasting a second round pick on a strictly reserve OL. 

33 minutes ago, Thama said:

I would add Josh Jackson to either tier 1 or 2. Ronnie Harrison is probably a tier 3 for us. McGlinchey is also probably tier 1/2. 

I'd put Jackson solidly tier 1. Signing Cockrell doesn't make me want Jackson a bit less. There are very few players I'd take over him. Reid is creeping up there as well, but I feel like we'd take Jackson over him simply because we seem to not give a single flying fug about the safety positions.

6 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

I said a while back i think there should be a open competition for the LT spot. If moton shows he can play he should start over Kalil, i dont care what he is being paid. We already know kalil was never worth the money he was given so why guarantee him spot? 

At the end of the day the staff MUST have some sort plan for moton though. I cant see the stupidity in wasting a second round pick on a strictly reserve OL. 

I agree. The problem is they signalled their faith in MKalil by guaranteeing his money up front. Its tantamount to them saying " you are our tackle for the next two years whatever happens". I'm also a little wary of Moton as LT when he has always projected better as G. I can totally envisage a scenario where Kalil gets injured they drop Moton into a bad situation without prep and he gets massacred.

5 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

I wonder if the 'Moton-to-tackle' convo is geared more towards Daryl Williams being a FA in '19. Not sure what kind of money he would command, but gotta think that if he has a typical contract year style of play this year and looks good, he could land in that $10M+ range. Do we pay that? 

5 minutes ago, Soul Rebel said:

I wonder if the 'Moton-to-tackle' convo is geared more towards Daryl Williams being a FA in '19. Not sure what kind of money he would command, but gotta think that if he has a typical contract year style of play this year and looks good, he could land in that $10M+ range. Do we pay that? 

Yes. We've been downright sorry at OT for the majority of Cam's career. We finally have a quality young OT and we definitely know that those don't exactly grow on trees. We absolutely HAVE to keep him if he puts together another good season as a starter. No question about it.

4 minutes ago, Seoul_Panther said:

I agree. The problem is they signalled their faith in MKalil by guaranteeing his money up front. Its tantamount to them saying " you are our tackle for the next two years whatever happens". I'm also a little wary of Moton as LT when he has always projected better as G. I can totally envisage a scenario where Kalil gets injured they drop Moton into a bad situation without prep and he gets massacred.

Moton played well at OT in pre season last year. I know its not saying much but he showed his potential whenever on field. Now he has also had a full nfl off season to work on his flaws. I just think he deserves an opportunity. I think sending a message that kalil is fine whatever happens is just piss poor coaching and a disservice to Cam.

23 minutes ago, Soul Rebel said:

I thought about that as well, and i also think its pretty shitty management. We have been searching for legit tackles for a while now and when finally get one and we let him walk cuz we dont want to pay? Its bad enough we haven't had consistency at LT since Cam has been here but RT too is just inexcusable. You cant keep putting revolving doors at every position around your QB. 

1 hour ago, Soul Rebel said:

As the draft nears closer, combine results are digested and pro-days are off-and-running, I think a clearer picture of potential players is coming into focus for us. I've broken down 3 tiers of prospects for our selection at 24.....

1 - Players that fill a need/want but won't last until 24

2 - Players that fill a need/want and are slotted to go in our range

3 - Players that fill a need/want but might be a bit early to select at 24

Obviously drafting Chubb, Barkley or James would be ideal, but it ain't happening. So I've tried to compile a group that crosses off need, while meshing value and BPA if possible. I think these 10 players will be realistically in play and barring an amazing trade up for Derwin James, I think these are the 10 guys that make the most sense.

Here we go:

TIER 1 - PLAYERS THAT FILL NEED BUT WON'T LAST UNTIL 24

• Calvin Ridley WR - Best WR in the draft (arguably) and would be the exact type of WR needed to complete our corps. Not the fastest or youngest, but all around, he is a stud that was underutilized at Alabama and shows up on tape. Probably goes to BAL or SEA...and maybe even LAR to replace Watkins.
  • Darius Guice  RB - A devastating runner that would be a perfect compliment to CMC and give Cam a 3-down back to keep the QB from being the team's top rusher. Punishing, quick and the kind of RB that teams can build an offense around. Might be hard to justify after getting CMC last year.
  • Harold Landry DE - I think he is this year's version of Derrick Barnett. On paper, he doesn't have ideal height, but his long arms and super-athletic style of play make him a beast off the edge. He is a pure edge rushing machine that would fill a long-term need after Peppers retires, and an aging Addison that will slow down. 

TIER 2 - PLAYERS THAT FILL NEED IN OUR RANGE AT 24

• Will Hernandez LG - One of two guys that I think are likely to be our selection. Never a sexy pick, but this OG is a destructive IOL that is a day 1 starter and has All-Pro guard written all over his future. The dropoff from Norwell to him will be almost non-existent and on a much cheaper deal. Cam needs protection with Ryan retiring after 2018 and who the hell knows about Matt at LT.
  • Justin Reid FS - The "other" guy that I think makes the most sense for us at 24. We've ignored a top pick at the SAF position forever and getting a player like Reid would be a huge get for our secondary. He is everything you want in your FS - athletic, ballhawk, tackler, versatile to line up all over and very intelligent. 
  • Isaiah Wynn LG - Arguably as talented as Hernandez and was a stalwart on the UGA offensive line. Capable of playing all over the OL, Wynn would give us a nasty LG capable of being a cornerstone at the position for a long time.
  • Billy Price C/G - Some may not want him at 24 due to the injury he suffered at the combine, but Price is a helluva player. Mean and versatile he would give us a great Norwell replacement, but also step in and be Ryan Kalil's heir to the C throne after 2018. He's from a great program that has churned out OL talent and the injury should not affect his training camp play.
  • D.J. Moore WR - I might be in the minority, but I feel like there are only 2 first-round eligible WRs in this class, and Moore is the other to Calvin Ridley. Others like Sutton or Washington, but D.J. Moore would be an amazing get for our offense and give us a Smitty/Diggs clone. I don't think the Panthers are looking to add a WR in R1, but if they are Moore would look spectacular connecting with Newton. 

TIER 3 - PLAYERS THAT FILL A NEED BUT MIGHT BE TOO EARLY OF A SELECTION AT 24

• Sam Hubbard DE - A very talented edge rusher that would rotate well this year and eventually be our every-down DE. Hubbard looks the part and had a lot of respectful comparisons to Joey Bosa from some experts. He looks like a later first round/early day two pick, and it might not present the value that we need if others are on the board. The player isn't the problem, it's the value of going at 24.
  • Sonny Michel RB - Again, I'm in the minority here I think as having Michel as the third-best back as most others like Jones. However, Michel is a complete RB capable of being the number one rusher in Carolina and a dangerous duo with CMC. Chubb is nice, but Michel was the better UGA back, IMO. Probably a bit early at 24, and with us taking CMC top-10 last year. 

Gun to my head, I think it comes down to Hernandez or Reid at 24. There are other good talents at both LG and SAF later in the draft, so it's not like either position can't be filled later on. Both would come in and start day one. I'd lean Hernandez right now and come back with Deshon Elliott or Marcus Allen later in the draft, but either selection at 24 would drastically improve a weakness.

Nice write up

Archived