• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Steve Smith bullied Cam Newton his rookie season?

NJPanthers12

As much as I am a personal fan of Cam for many, many reasons, if he was an utter asshole and violent (or even disrespectful) to other human beings without provocation, I wouldn't be.  GUARANTEED.

Some of you true-blue "whatever excuse it takes to make it" hero-worshipers are sick.

5 hours ago, Proudiddy said:

I've shared my personal encounter with Smitty several times over the years, so I can tell you he is every bit the bully and asshole off the field that you imagine...

My cousin had a similar experience, he was a case worker and took a group of disabled people to see panthers camp, and he stood with people as they were getting things signed and when all his disabled people had gotten their stuff signed my cousin alan wanted to get his jersey signed...

He said "hey steve" to him as he got up to him and steve just looked at him and said "do I know you?" and walked off right then...

My cousin lost respect for him and never liked watched games as much after that

7 hours ago, -13 Amp- said:

My cousin had a similar experience, he was a case worker and took a group of disabled people to see panthers camp, and he stood with people as they were getting things signed and when all his disabled people had gotten their stuff signed my cousin alan wanted to get his jersey signed...

He said "hey steve" to him as he got up to him and steve just looked at him and said "do I know you?" and walked off right then...

My cousin lost respect for him and never liked watched games as much after that

Unfortunately, ever single person I know that has had to interact with him pretty much says the same thing. Not a pleasant experience. I know someone who lives in Firethrorne CC, where Smith used to live. Said he was a dick to just about everyone and went out of his way to tell people not to talk to him or send their kids to his house on Halloween. 

We should make a thread just about our personal interactions with panthers players. I wonder if there would be more negative experiences than positive ones? 

I used to wait tables and bartend in college, waited on J-Stew; he left me a crappy tip. What was really funny is that I had bought one of his t-shirt jerseys a few weeks earlier and I never wore it out after that. Cut off the sleeves and used it as a pool shirt. 

steve had a horrible temper and he still does. but the thing that made him great was how much he demanded that his teammates around him be great. nobody took blocking assignments like a joke when smith was here. he was the captain of the WR squad and everybody bought in. with revisionist history, it's clear that smith was the engine on those early 2000's playoff teams and almost took us to the championship by force of will. the times he got physical on his teammates were childish and a total embarrassment. there's no apology for that. with that said, a lot of steve's tactics were designed to test these dudes man to man to get the best out of them. when people made stupid mistakes on those teams, defense or offense it didn't matter, it wasn't fox they didn't want to see on the sidelines, it was steve. the reason he could do that is because you NEVER caught steve out there dragging ass. he could check you all day because you could go over the tape ten times and never find that man at half speed on anything. some people would call that veteran leadership. the dudes that went out there and wore the game, he never got in their jersey. he was always, always on the bums. 

did that make him a "fun" teammate? probably not. did that make him a "bad" teammate? probably not. sometimes you need a presence in the room that holds the players accountable because they're already used to tuning out coaches by the time they get to the league. when you have a guy that coaches can't reach, you need steve. he crossed the line on that sometimes. 

the thing that steve didn't like about cam, cam needed to grow out of. we can frame it however we want, but cam in those early years would check out of games early. hang his head on the sdielines. just show way too much weakness. cam has grown into the type of quarterback that steve would respect in the years since, but let's not act like cam coming into the league was as team success driven and as focused as he is now. he quit a few times in a few of the early challenges of his career. but as he grew into a man here, it was a visible transformation. steve knew his job was to help him get there, but it doesn't seem like cam was receptive to that kind of tough love. he needed to get there on his own. you can love them both and still not hate this story. 

Archived