• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Wire is the greatest show ever made.

Dex

The wire is the goat and sopranos is a close runner up. 

Game of thrones season 1 was fantastic but it’s been all down hill from there. Just seems like a lot of lazy confused writing. I get the same feeling from west world. Don’t get me wrong. GoT is great but it’s no where near The Wire or Sopranos.

Loved breaking bad but it is hard to compare to HBO shows. Regular cable has to follow too many guidelines. Yes they pushed the boundaries but imagine if the show was on HBO or Showtime etc.

Mr. Robot is probably my favorite show still on the air right now.

I don’t include comedies and stuff. They need a separate ranking. Same applies to the greatest movies of all time.

15 hours ago, Goondal said:

I prefer The Leftovers.  Of everything I have ever watched, read, listened to, etc. it is my absolute favorite.  That being said, The Wire is next and is absolutely on another level from every other show below it.

Six Feet Under is third for me but it is definitely a tier below along with Deadwood and Boardwalk Empire. I feel as if both of those two dad the potential to reach that upper tier.  The former ended one season too early while the latter should have had an extra season before the final one.  That time jump did not work for me.  The Sopranos is right there with them but had the opposite problem I feel as if went on too long and they were stretching things out.

In regards to Game of Thrones, I love it but I never rank a show that is still going on against shows that have completed their run.  There was a time where it had the potential to get as high as third.  This past season was a major drop in quality however and at this point it will take a lot to surpass any of those top six for me.

If you wanted to call be an HBO whore I would not dispute it.  As for non-HBO shows my favorites are The Americans and The West Wing followed by Mad MenBreaking Bad,  and Friday Night Lights 

Boardwalk was great, the only blemish was the last season which was too rushed and didn't feel right.    But man, there was some great characters.

You ever experience those shows that are supposed to be phenomenal and people continue to rave and tell you it's a good watch, but as much as you try, it just doesn't work? That's me for a couple of the shows listed here:

Tried The Wire repeatedly; I mean I tried to watch the first 3-4 episodes more than once and it just never got me hooked. Deadwood was the same, as much as I wanted to like and watch it, just never happened for me. 

14 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

You ever experience those shows that are supposed to be phenomenal and people continue to rave and tell you it's a good watch, but as much as you try, it just doesn't work? That's me for a couple of the shows listed here:

Tried The Wire repeatedly; I mean I tried to watch the first 3-4 episodes more than once and it just never got me hooked. Deadwood was the same, as much as I wanted to like and watch it, just never happened for me. 

The Wire is my all time favorite show. I received season one as gift from my cousin in 2008 or 2009. I tried several times to get into it and I couldn't. It was too slow and too boring. I berated my cousin for giving me such a shitty gift. She told me to watch the entire season and to trust her. I did.... After that I was skipping college classes to watch season 2. I even took a day off of class and drove 200 miles to the nearest Best Buy to get season 3. Once you realize what this show IS, that's it. There's no going back to your old way of thinking. 

1 hour ago, Dex said:

The Wire is my all time favorite show. I received season one as gift from my cousin in 2008 or 2009. I tried several times to get into it and I couldn't. It was too slow and too boring. I berated my cousin for giving me such a shitty gift. She told me to watch the entire season and to trust her. I did.... After that I was skipping college classes to watch season 2. I even took a day off of class and drove 200 miles to the nearest Best Buy to get season 3. Once you realize what this show IS, that's it. There's no going back to your old way of thinking. 

Yeah exactly, you can't just watch 3-4 episodes of The Wire and make a judgement.   For one thing, there are a TON of characters and you have to get to know them.    That takes time with how many there are.    Honestly 3-4 episodes of ANY show isn't really fair to make a judgement but The Wire, totally not.     Deadwood is kind of the same, lots of characters, etc.

2 hours ago, Dex said:

1 hour ago, Zaximus said:

Yeah exactly, you can't just watch 3-4 episodes of The Wire and make a judgement.   For one thing, there are a TON of characters and you have to get to know them.    That takes time with how many there are.    Honestly 3-4 episodes of ANY show isn't really fair to make a judgement but The Wire, totally not.     Deadwood is kind of the same, lots of characters, etc.

But I've watched several other series that were much the same- character development, plot development, etc.

Now, you wanna see one that recently started... Succession.

Wow, heard some mentions for The Leftovers but through 3 episodes this is boring as hell.  Hope this gets better soon.

As for the Wire, again it is amazing but has some annoying characters in some seasons and moves really slow in parts but it's great.  Top 5 ever isn't bad.  I didn't like season 2 and honestly will skip it next time.  

Archived