• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cowboys make trade for OL help

PntherPryd

Are there any OT that are available for trade?  We have enough depth at the offensive interior.

Is it a definite that Sirles is going to be out Week 1?  These are all questions we don't know.

It is clear that OT is a major need going into Week 1, but go to trust the coaches.  They know way more than we do about what's going on behind the scenes.

The cowboys only gave up an undrafted FA.

You can poke holes in the pedigree of the lineman they picked up but kudo's to them for making the move before cuts and getting a guy they think can fit.  As opposed to the clusterpluck of cuts , competition and calls with second rate agents about to go down.

Beyond the injuries that we have on the offensive line and not knowing when they will be back, another big concern for week 1 is the fact that we are going to have razor thin depth at Oline regardless of what we do.

The injury to Sirles means we may have no choice but to short-term IR Darryl Williams b/c of numbers.

The TD suspension may not be as bad all things considered b/c he won't count as a roster spot. 

I could see us starting the season with one less LB and 1 more OL.  Still, we will have at best 3 inactive OL for the 1st game of the season (M Kalil, Silatolu, Sirles).

That means even if we have 11 OL on the roster to start the season (which is reasonable), we will only have 8 healthy.  That is not ideal by any stretch.  Moton, Van Roten, R Kalil, Turner, & Larson are locks along with the 3 injured guys.

I assume Bisnowaty will make it too, at least short-term.   Maybe Clausell, Friend, or Mahon, too?  Pretty much a given one of those spots will be to a guy we pick up.

Hopefully, as the season progresses, we will be healthy again and have a good unit and these early injuries will make us better overall.

Certainly a concerning situation to be in before the regular season even starts.  That being said, I don't know if a trade really adds much.  We just got to deal with this and hope to get guys back soon.

4 minutes ago, cookinbrak said:

We did well with Moton at LT and Clausell at RT. Move Clausell to LT, he becomes a hugging machine.

If we can trust Moton to mostly handle his guy one-on-one, then we can give help to whoever starts at RT.  I think we are going to use a lot of 2 TE sets and a FB a good bit which can help with blocking.

Just can't afford anymore injuries, especially to Moton before we get some guys back.

I don't want to project too much and be disappointed, but honestly Moton has looked like what we thought we were getting with a "healthy" Matt Kalil.  

Trying to be an optimist, maybe this whole injury fiasco has at least shown us we have a potential franchise LT, something we haven't had since Jordan Gross.

Just now, cookinbrak said:

I think Turner helps whoever is over there. I also think it will be D Williams. But letting these guys get a little taste in preseason only helps us.

Moton/Van Roten on the left is good.

Even when Kalil gets healthy, should we mess with their chemistry.  Could Kalil play RT?

Just now, motocross_cat said:

The left side looked good.

If it aint broke....

Dunno about the right side.

Since Kalil struggles so much with speed, maybe he would be better at RT anyway.  Playing with a Pro Bowler in Turner could help him too just like Norwell last year.

We are a healthy and decent offensive line from being a potential top 5 offense this year.  This is by far the best collection of skill position players we've had during Cam's tenure.

Archived