• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Create $5.1m In Additional Cap Space By Converting Luke's Salary Into A Signing Bonus

bobsfoodbasics

I like Thomas as a player, but not sure how his personality fits us:

- after breaking his leg he publicly considered retirement, which was odd and would bother me if I was investing money in him.

- running to the cowboys to come get him. again, can't trust he'd have his heart here if the going gets tough. we've seen him be a good leader when he's on a historic defense, but our defense isn't built to be dominant in that sense, even when we're good usually.

- money. he's got an ego that will have to be placated. luckily most of our guys don't complain about deals they've already signed. except for Greg, and that pretty much backfired from a fan perspective immediately on him. does a guy like Thomas stir the pot in the locker room more often?

It's tough. I see a great player, but I'm not sure I see a Panther. Who knows though, maybe those issues are more about the situation in Seattle than about him or how he'd be on our team. We'd all the sudden have legit Hall of Famers at every level of our defense and we'd be much more potent. I do think if a starting OT is available, it would be malpractice not to get the guy to protect Cam. I don't think we can bet on Williams coming back this year and being fully himself, plus we need some top shelf starters there, not more back-ups and maybes.

Just now, Ship said:

I like Thomas as a player, but not sure how his personality fits us:

- after breaking his leg he publicly considered retirement, which was odd and would bother me if I was investing money in him.

- running to the cowboys to come get him. again, can't trust he'd have his heart here if the going gets tough. we've seen him be a good leader when he's on a historic defense, but our defense isn't built to be dominant in that sense, even when we're good usually.

- money. he's got an ego that will have to be placated. luckily most of our guys don't complain about deals they've already signed. except for Greg, and that pretty much backfired from a fan perspective immediately on him. does a guy like Thomas stir the pot in the locker room more often?

It's tough. I see a great player, but I'm not sure I see a Panther. Who knows though, maybe those issues are more about the situation in Seattle than about him or how he'd be on our team. We'd all the sudden have legit Hall of Famers at every level of our defense and we'd be much more potent. I do think if a starting OT is available, it would be malpractice not to get the guy to protect Cam. I don't think we can bet on Williams coming back this year and being fully himself, plus we need some top shelf starters there, not more back-ups and maybes.

Players say that all the time but people dont really care

Heck Eric Reid said the same thing and he had even bugger and more injuries.

Yet people dont even mention it.  Just his kneeling as the main issue 

12 minutes ago, JakeDel5674 said:

Yeah, I'm not a big Larsen fan like others are on here. 

Well im not big kalil fan and he clearly isnt worth paying 10 million dollars for one more year cuz he has been garbage since he came back from the saints game last season 

1 minute ago, ncfan said:

Joyner is a young up and coming guy.

Thomas, while a stud.  Is 29 and just 2 years removed from a big injury that had him placed on IR.  Sounds alot like Honey Badger just older

Once again. Don’t necessarily disagree. But do you think Earl Thomas is going to consider these factors? I just doubt he takes anything less than 10M/yr. If he won’t, as bad as I want him, probably have to pass. 

I was a huge Hurney hater and still remain cautious, but he is gaining my confidence.   First, he had a solid draft it seems--especially in the fourth and fifth rounds--I expect (this is not exaggerated) that his first six picks (Moore, Jackson, Gaulden, Thomas, Haynes, and Carter) will be starting or playing key roles within three years.  Not ruling Smith out either.  Add free agent WR Wright and NT Poe, he had a good off season.

I don't like being wrong, but it lookss as though  screwing up taught him something.  
POINT?  I feel confident this is part of something that will help the team.

1 minute ago, joeyxfresco said:

You don’t create space right before week 1 if you’re not making a splash 

Yeah but the amount we cleared up should be more than sufficient. Cutting Ryan and Smith to create more would be completely crazy. 

I suspect we are planning on making more than one move, whether trading or signing someone. OL seems obvious and possibly DB or QB as well.

12 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

This isn't April. Having $20 million in cap space is pretty meaningless at this point unless you go on an insane trading spree and that would be pretty reckless.

Trading spree? No...but you have enough to get at least one key player. 

1 minute ago, ncfan said:

Players say that all the time but people dont really care

Heck Eric Reid said the same thing and he had even bugger and more injuries.

Yet people dont even mention it.  Just his kneeling as the main issue 

Idk, I remember it at the time and most of the commentators were pretty shocked by it, because prior to that, he was obviously playing at the height of his powers. Maybe it was just the news cycle, but I recall it at the time seeming alarming to people.

2 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

Well im not big kalil fan and he clearly isnt worth paying 10 million dollars for one more year cuz he has been garbage since he came back from the saints game last season 

He's retiring at the end of the season man. Not sure what you wanted the Managers to do at this point. 

Archived